Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2024, 04:01 PM

15,416 posts, read 9,049,675 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
If nothing else, I loved the name "Adnauseam", couldn't be a better name to describe the current ad/pop-up clicking shenanigans.

I do like their concept as well but let me know how it works out for you. Was Google still blocking this extension when you installed it?

Their approach reminded me of Privacy Possum which was a fork project of Privacy Badger where Badger blocks, Possum falsifies or misdirects the data being collected.

I really do not get any ads with uBlock and when I use Privacy Badger, it even blocks the embedded ads into video streams which no other extension was able to. So, in short, for my current needs and usage, those 2 work wonderfully on Brave. If you are using Google Chrome, you are already at a disadvantage. Also, as time goes on, there are updates and changes to browsers, codes used on web sites and anti-ad blocking checks that become more sophisticate.....an ongoing battle for sure.

What works today may not work well or at all tomorrow. This type of stuff needs periodic assessment, update and/or alternate means.

As I mentioned in my previous post, if applicable, blocking the ads via DNS settings in the router, at a minimum, is a sound approach.
I was not successful at installing AdNauseam in Chrome, but as I understand it is complicated but possible to get it to run in Chrome. But I might not even bother.

I have successfully installed it on a fresh instal of Waterfox. I have no other extensions installed on that browser, just AdNauseam. I have it set to hide ads, click ads, and block malware. It seems to work as promised.

When I go to news sites, I see mostly clean pages with no ads. I do unfortunately see some unwanted pop-up video ads on some sites. I will have to eventually install something to take care of those. But for now I'm using just AdNauseam. I am not getting any popups telling me to disable my ad blocker. Big win.

When I go to YouTube I can not seem to view the main YouTube home page. I just get a large popup saying :Your YouTube history is off." When I try to click on that it just goes in an endless loop. But I can see the YouTube search bar, and I can search for and watch videos and I can also see the related videos. I see no adds, and I do not get a "Ad Blockers are not allowed on YouTube" popup. Another big win.

I would like to try to log into my YouTube account and see how it works with my subscriptions, but my Google account is in Chrome, and after recently getting locked out of my Google account for 2 months because I made some changes to my home network, I'm hesitant to do anything with my Google account again that could get me locked out again. Google doesn't seem to like changes, logging in on different browsers, devices, networks etc. So I think I will wait for that.

This is what the YouTube homepage looks like. This is the popup that just keeps looping, no matter what I do. But that's okay. I don't like the YouTube homepage anyway. Everything else seems to work. That's the update for now.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2024, 07:36 PM

8,301 posts, read 13,434,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
This is what the YouTube homepage looks like. This is the popup that just keeps looping, no matter what I do. But that's okay. I don't like the YouTube homepage anyway. Everything else seems to work. That's the update for now.
The message looping is quite possibly due to the extension but also, I don't think keep a "history" if you are not logged in to an account so it might simply be due to that too.

I personally cannot stand the "Shorts" and "Recommended videos" almost as much as the annoying ads. For those interested in blocking those and making YT home page very clean, look into an extension called: UnTrap for YouTube.

uBlock Origin alone does a wonderful job. I don't visit News sites and if I happen to click on a link that opens such a page that tells me to turn off my ad blocker, I just close that page. Just not worth it for me.

Anyhow, it sounds like you are happy with the way YT is working.

Old 01-19-2024, 12:00 PM

15,416 posts, read 9,049,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
The message looping is quite possibly due to the extension but also, I don't think keep a "history" if you are not logged in to an account so it might simply be due to that too.

I personally cannot stand the "Shorts" and "Recommended videos" almost as much as the annoying ads. For those interested in blocking those and making YT home page very clean, look into an extension called: UnTrap for YouTube.

uBlock Origin alone does a wonderful job. I don't visit News sites and if I happen to click on a link that opens such a page that tells me to turn off my ad blocker, I just close that page. Just not worth it for me.

Anyhow, it sounds like you are happy with the way YT is working.
It's definitely the extension. Because without it I can see the homepage in other browsers without being logged in. That popup shows that it's a cookies and data problem. But when I go to the Waterfox Preferences for Privacy & Security it shows that I have cookies from YouTube. So I don't know what that's about.

I agree with you about Shorts and Recommended videos. That's the reason I'm not too concerned with not being able to see the YouTube homepage. There is nothing there I want to see anyway. I find all the videos I want to watch from the Search Box, or from my subscriptions. But on the subject of Shorts, that's the one button that does work on the homepage. When I click on that I see random Shorts. Exactly what I don't need. LOL.

UnTrap looks very interesting. I'll probably install that. I have to get a bunch of YouTube extensions installed. But I have to make sure they don't block any ads, so as to not interfere with the work AdNauseam is doing.

The good thing about AdNauseam, you never see those popups telling you to disable your adblocker. At least I haven't so far.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet