Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2024, 11:37 AM

16,544 posts, read 19,679,952 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwilightMan View Post
I don't respond to C.L. ads because I don't believe they actually forward your emails to the poster.
Seriously? What do you think is going on then?
Quote:

I've virtually never had a reply from ads I answered on C.L. Maybe has something to do with their attempt to link you reply to a specific gmail account for trackin purposes-if you don't use their link in the ad redirecting to gmail (or yahoo), they drop your email.
What the... They want you to use their email system TO PROTECT YOUR IDENTITY. I get not trusting big tech companies but there's a reason CL got so big when it did. And they are still not owned by any giant company though eBay did briefly own 1 forth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2024, 06:08 PM

10,890 posts, read 7,376,511 times
I've bought and sold on CL quite a bit, no email problems. If the item is gone, seller doesn't usually respond.

But this weekend, I tried to give away a sewing machine. As parts, similar machines go for about $100 on CL, but I thought I'd be nice and give it away.

Got a response, "Is it still available?". I replied yes, can you pick it up today.
8am next day, he suggests the current day. I say, how about noon at X place?
At 10, I ask him if he's coming at noon. He replies "Yes, what city are you in?". That and a map were in the listing.

His total lack of engagement really turned me off, so I told him to forget it.
I think I'll repost it for a nominal fee so I don't attract the total flakes.

Old 01-15-2024, 07:02 PM

7,027 posts, read 4,889,008 times
I've bought a lot of things on Craig's List and not really had a problem. I usually meet people in a public place, but I've also gone to their homes. What scares me is when I knock on someone's door and a little old lady invites me into her house and shows me around. I've told more than a few of them that they should always arrange for a neighbor or someone else to be there and NEVER let anyone in their house. As I'm standing there in their living room. LOL I may also be the idiot in question for entering the house, but hey, that's how I got a set of copper cookware for only $200. But of course, it depends a lot on the location. I wouldn't be going into anyone's house in what I would consider a bad part of town.

I have had a few people trying to scam me on things I've sold, but if you just use common sense, it's easy to see through the scams.

Old 01-18-2024, 06:36 PM

24 posts, read 14,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
I use Craigslist a lot, and have none of the issues with which you are concerned.
I get emails from buyers.
I get responses from my emails to sellers. I wonder what messages you are sending to sellers?

I never use gmail with Craigslist.

I sell more than I buy, but not out of town stuff and have only seen that once.
Are you an CL employee perhaps. I've talked to others who sometimes post they won't use CL for the same reasons I have given in my OP. In fact CL won't even disclose the phone numbers they have purposely listed in their ads to force you to use their email links. I believe they also blacklist users for spurious reasons. Someone needs to give CL some real competition. As a platform it stinks. I fact you will sometimes see users posting on it by giving their fon number as zeo ate nyner 4 sixr 7 ate in order to defeat all the emails they send to def/nul

Old 01-18-2024, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemstone1 View Post
The user selects where the ad is to run. Craigslist is only as good as people make it...my only exposure to scamming in over 20 years of use was in the real estate listings. However, using craigslist is "buyer beware". In all of my purchases, my only disappointments have come from me not asking enough questions prior to traveling for the purchase. I use the site almost exclusively to purchase, and I've gotten some great deals.
They even list in CL "help forums" that your ad will be auto deleted if your posting from a location where the item is not being sold. The only exception is if it's a vehicle for sale. Then there are tons of people who will flag ads for no reasons whatsoever. IMO, it really is a lame site.

Old 01-18-2024, 06:52 PM

Quote:
I use Craigslist a lot, and have none of the issues with which you are concerned.
I get responses from my emails to sellers. I wonder what messages you are sending to sellers?

The email links CL uses are directly linked to the ad/browser/location you are using. The email link changes if you change any of those parameters. If you do not reply within the ad you are viewing using THEIR email links to gmail, yahoo and one other the email will not be forwarded. That has been my experience over several years of trying. The only other reason is that they maintain blacklists on users that cannot use their services, probably because they have criticized them as I have done here. That's my experience. If you have better results no problem but i really question all the positive things said here about CL. It's a bogus site, imo. You don't agree, find, that's the way see it and that's how I'm calling it.

Old 01-20-2024, 05:39 AM

43,269 posts, read 77,073,002 times
Quote:

Quote:
Are you an CL employee perhaps. I've talked to others who sometimes post they won't use CL for the same reasons I have given in my OP. In fact CL won't even disclose the phone numbers they have purposely listed in their ads to force you to use their email links. I believe they also blacklist users for spurious reasons. Someone needs to give CL some real competition. As a platform it stinks. I fact you will sometimes see users posting on it by giving their fon number as zeo ate nyner 4 sixr 7 ate in order to defeat all the emails they send to def/nul
Are you an CL employee perhaps.
LOL No. No, I am not. I'm just a guy with success on Craigslist without issues.

Quote:
The email links CL uses are directly linked to the ad/browser/location you are using. The email link changes if you change any of those parameters. If you do not reply within the ad you are viewing using THEIR email links to gmail, yahoo and one other the email will not be forwarded. That has been my experience over several years of trying. The only other reason is that they maintain blacklists on users that cannot use their services, probably because they have criticized them as I have done here. That's my experience. If you have better results no problem but i really question all the positive things said here about CL. It's a bogus site, imo. You don't agree, find, that's the way see it and that's how I'm calling it.
I really question all the "experience." Like you say, you may have done silly stuff to get blacklisted. IF that really ever happens.
Eh. You might try ebay:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/29615788853...3ABFBM3tyJ7qRj

Old 01-26-2024, 07:03 PM

[quote=MikeJaquish;66326574]Are you an CL employee perhaps.
LOL No. No, I am not. I'm just a guy with success on Craigslist without issues.

I really question all the "experience." Like you say, you may have done silly stuff to get blacklisted. IF that really ever happens.
Eh. You might try ebay:

In point of fact there are several pay services that people have to use because they have so many problems posting successfully on C.L. This is due to C.L. blackliisting, stupid rules and idiots flagging posts for no reason. I stand by what I say. There's a lot of people making money on CL using these posting services and they are almost always spammers, especially in the rental ads. Sorry, it's a junk site, needs to have real competition.

Old 01-28-2024, 10:57 AM

10,890 posts, read 7,376,511 times
Quote:
I fact you will sometimes see users posting on it by giving their fon number as zeo ate nyner 4 sixr 7 ate in order to defeat all the emails they send to def/nul
actually, "fon" numbers and sometimes emails are listed that way to prevent bots from harvesting the data.

Old 01-29-2024, 07:07 AM

1,097 posts, read 642,625 times
I mistakenly came here thinking someone needed help with Craigslist. It seems I was wrong, instead someone just wants to bash Craigslist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet