Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2024, 03:18 AM

24 posts, read 14,208 times

Advertisements

I don't respond to C.L. ads because I don't believe they actually forward your emails to the poster.
I've virtually never had a reply from ads I answered on C.L. Maybe has something to do with their attempt to link you reply to a specific gmail account for trackin purposes-if you don't use their link in the ad redirecting to gmail (or yahoo), they drop your email. Also I notice the email links change depending on what browser you are using and your IP. I really really wish someone would offer a viable alternative to C.L. for me, its a junk site only used by people that pay services to post there or buy expensive programs to get around all their restrictions.

Also, I thought that you had to live and be in the city that you're trying to sell something from, otherwise they autodelete your post.

Then I ran up on this link: https://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/c...707134413.html It's an ad from manhattan NY for a vehicle in Las Vegas Nevada. Just what does this http link tell us about how the poster was able to post an ad from NY for a vehicle in NV?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2024, 04:37 AM

43,264 posts, read 77,043,330 times
I use Craigslist a lot, and have none of the issues with which you are concerned.
I get emails from buyers.
I get responses from my emails to sellers. I wonder what messages you are sending to sellers?

I never use gmail with Craigslist.

I sell more than I buy, but not out of town stuff and have only seen that once.

Old 01-14-2024, 05:54 AM

966 posts, read 514,798 times
I've never had those issues, and I buy and sell there. But CL is location specific. If I go to one city I may see a LOT of obvious (to me) scams, especially in rentals. Other cities have almost none. So maybe the op is replying to scam ads and they're looking for specific types of suckers.

One neat thing I'm discovering about CL is that's its a very accurate way to get a feel for a city's people. If I go to the Hawaii rentals and share rentals I see all manner of restrictions. No pets, no drugs, no smoking, background checks will be run, need a lot of local references, etc. Go to the Houston CL's and all you see is the price and general location. That's it.

Having lived in both places I think this reflects the reality of life there. Hawaii people are pretty control orientated, especially concerning pets. It's really hard to find a rental that accepts pets, and it wasn't pleasant dealing w/ all the restrictions they have. We weren't even allowed to have pets in condos that we owned. On the other hand, Houston people just want to do business. They'll size up people as they go along, and assume they aren't going to encounter a lot of people who are going to cause problems.

Old 01-14-2024, 06:05 AM

4,596 posts, read 6,350,757 times
The user selects where the ad is to run. Craigslist is only as good as people make it...my only exposure to scamming in over 20 years of use was in the real estate listings. However, using craigslist is "buyer beware". In all of my purchases, my only disappointments have come from me not asking enough questions prior to traveling for the purchase. I use the site almost exclusively to purchase, and I've gotten some great deals.

Old 01-14-2024, 05:47 PM

6,589 posts, read 11,277,081 times
I used to use craiglist all the time. Never had an issue (both as buyer and seller).

However, it's sort of a victim of the times. Facebook marketplace and Nextdoor have replaced it. At least that's what I use more these days if I'm looking for local stuff. FB Marketplace is so much easier to use, IMO.

Scams are everywhere. These things are just vehicles/services. It can't really control 100% who uses them.

Old 01-14-2024, 08:50 PM

666 posts, read 422,523 times
I've had nothing but good experiences on craigslist. The reason they use that forwarding system is to avoid exposing email addresses between parties.

Old 01-15-2024, 08:19 AM

50,759 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yelling_at_Birds View Post
I've had nothing but good experiences on craigslist. The reason they use that forwarding system is to avoid exposing email addresses between parties.
There is a 'scamming' issue with CL. When I have put a few things up for sale there are those who want to meet me at questionable places. It got so bad that I know of one police department that allows "pickup" of goods at one of their police stations.

Old 01-15-2024, 08:55 AM

1,097 posts, read 641,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
There is a 'scamming' issue with CL. When I have put a few things up for sale there are those who want to meet me at questionable places. It got so bad that I know of one police department that allows "pickup" of goods at one of their police stations.
I don't avoid selling on craigslist because of scammers. I avoid selling where I have to meet the buyer, so I sell on eBay mostly. But even there people do scammer-type things like sending a message via a .jpg file so that eBay is less likely to catch it.

My wife advertised yoga on a dedicated yoga website and attracted scammers. She got the "Oh I made a mistake and sent you too much money, just cash the money order and send me back half of the difference" scam. Of course the money order was counterfeit.

Last edited by akrausz; 01-15-2024 at 10:07 AM..

Old 01-15-2024, 09:07 AM

6,721 posts, read 6,474,525 times
I use CL for the Musician community section. Good place to find bands and other musicians to collab with. Never had trouble communicating via their system.

Old 01-15-2024, 10:36 AM

5,954 posts, read 3,706,857 times
It has been several years since I last used Craigslist, but I had no real complaints about it. I nearly always used it to sell things. I don't recall using it to buy anything.

I was rather successful with my sales. I always made it clear that only CASH was accepted and that I wasn't interested in any trades.

When I talked with prospective buyers by phone, I attempted to screen them for sincerity. I never really had any problems and don't recall any "tire-kickers" showing up and wasting my time. I think that I'm pretty good at telling when people are genuinely a prospect and when they're just wanting to waste my time and I'm able to screen out the time wasters over the phone.

Overall, Craigslist is a very good thing. In fact, I was just thinking about some things I have that are just collecting dust and need to be sold.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet