Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2024, 06:03 AM

15,427 posts, read 25,795,620 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinjsxx View Post
Spectrum did not configure the router before installation. As I mentioned they installed it "out of the box", in other words a brand new Sagemcom router in original packaging in a closed box that had not been opened until it was in my home and the technician just hooked it up. It would have been the same if I bought it from Amazon unless Sagemcom makes special routers customized for Spectrum which I doubt. I think the router can be used by other providers such as Optimum so it is not a unique piece of equipment only usable by Spectrum and the packaging didn't say anything about Spectrum. Any configuration of the router is probably done by software. There is no physical setting on the hardware like a switch that allows Spectrum mobile users to connect to the router.

Yes, there is setting on Spectrum's website to turn it off which I mentioned I did in the first post in this thread.
All of that is irrelevant. If you provins your own router, Spectrum’s setting doesn’t matter. If you get their router, it does matter. Your router, no hotspot unless you create one. You get their router and there will be a a hotspot available to others, which you can turn off. It’s that simple.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2024, 07:29 AM

3,641 posts, read 1,596,995 times
Since Spectrum and Comcast allow you use your own modem you can create your own private hotspot without sharing it to anyone, and turn it off/on when you want.

Here's what I did. I want to turn wifi off when not using it and I want be sure the wifi antennas are not broadcasting when not on. So I use a second router for wifi. First router is non wifi.

My Comcast setup: my own modem and my own non-wifi router. Router2 is a wifi router connected to router1 in bridge mode (provides internet access not local file access).

My main non wifi router is always on and doesn't have antennas and doesn't broadcast anything whatsoever. When I want wifi around the house I simply power on the wifi router2. Now I have a password protected private wifi hotspot no one else can access. When done using wifi I want the 5g antennas OFF! So I simply power off my wifi router and I know 100% that the wifi hotspot and antennas are off.

With this 2 router setup I don't have to log into my wifi router to turn wifi off/on. I simply power it on/off. Super easy.

Old 01-29-2024, 07:37 AM

16,544 posts, read 19,672,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinjsxx View Post
Spectrum did not configure the router before installation. As I mentioned they installed it "out of the box", in other words a brand new Sagemcom router in original packaging in a closed box that had not been opened until it was in my home and the technician just hooked it up.
You'd be surprised how well I can seal a box back up that makes it look original. There's no way an 'off the shelf' router is allowing this Spectrum connection. It is either"
A) pre-configured by Sagecom. You have to know Sagecom provides 1,000s of routers for people. If you think they WOULDN'T dare pre-configure a router, let me tell you: they will. S[ectrum isn't buying these off the shelf, they get them direct from Sagecom.

B) Done by Spectrum and repackaged.

C) When you connect to Spectrum, they have can access the device. Could eb an automated script that allows this, but I'm sure it's either A or B.

Quote:
There is no physical setting on the hardware like a switch that allows Spectrum mobile users to connect to the router.
It is a software setting, of course there's no physical switch.

Quote:
As far as TOS documents not being 50 pages, you are correct. They are much longer than 50 pages. Spectrum's TOS has over 50 links many of which are much longer than one page. Some of the links are for business customers but that leaves over 40 links.

https://www.spectrum.com/policies/terms-of-service

No one on Earth needs to read all of those. The main one is 13 pages. You can skim that rather quickly and have a really good understanding of what's involved.

Old 02-01-2024, 09:30 AM

5,114 posts, read 6,084,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
You'd be surprised how well I can seal a box back up that makes it look original. There's no way an 'off the shelf' router is allowing this Spectrum connection. It is either"
A) pre-configured by Sagecom. You have to know Sagecom provides 1,000s of routers for people. If you think they WOULDN'T dare pre-configure a router, let me tell you: they will. S[ectrum isn't buying these off the shelf, they get them direct from Sagecom.

B) Done by Spectrum and repackaged.

C) When you connect to Spectrum, they have can access the device. Could eb an automated script that allows this, but I'm sure it's either A or B.

I would go with C. They have an initial connection process that knows what commands to issue to 1)update the box to the most recent firmware (Just like the store bought boxes suggest you do when you buy it yourself) and 2) 'restore' the settings to the providers desired configuration. If you bought the same model elsewhere and plugged it in it may do the same thing unless you changed the admin password before connecting it

Quote:
No one on Earth needs to read all of those. The main one is 13 pages. You can skim that rather quickly and have a really good understanding of what's involved.
While I generally agree with you I would bet that somewhere buried in those documents is a clause that allows them to do whatever it is they do. And if you question them on it they can (if you really, really push) show you the exact clause that gives them the authority/right to do what they are doing. No one may know it all but there are members of their large legal departments that are 'experts' in individual sections of those many pages.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet