Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2024, 05:48 PM

4,194 posts, read 4,077,595 times

Advertisements

I've had Spectrum for a few years and just noticed my WiFi had a setting turned on that makes it a mobile hotspot for Spectrum mobile customers. They say it's for guests in my home who have Spectrum mobile to be able to use my WiFi without connecting with a password. I don't think that makes much sense and I wonder if it is being used a hotspot for Spectrum mobile customers in the area but not in my home. Is that possible? I turned the setting off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2024, 07:02 PM

1,097 posts, read 641,748 times
Absolutely possible. Xfinity did the same thing, Spectrum probably copied them. Before I knew about it, I noticed my phone kept connecting and logging into Xfihity Wifi everywhere I went. So I researched it. I was shocked to find out they got away with doing that.

Last edited by akrausz; 01-15-2024 at 07:18 PM..

Old 01-16-2024, 07:43 AM

15,427 posts, read 25,795,620 times
With xfinity it is for xfinity customers. I have to sign in with xfinity account to upset them. I use my own router at home so not hotspot for others.

Old 01-16-2024, 08:31 AM

2,266 posts, read 3,712,126 times
This is absolutely one of the reasons I'll never use a carriers router unless I was forced to - and even then I'd just install my own behind theirs.

I've got a few of my execs that had this turned on. I switched their routers into bridge mode and installed an aftermarket one. There's no reason for home Wi-Fi to be broadcast for random customers to use.

Old 01-16-2024, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
With xfinity it is for xfinity customers. I have to sign in with xfinity account to upset them. I use my own router at home so not hotspot for others.
Correct. And the OP stated with Spectrum it is for Spectrum customers.

Old 01-16-2024, 09:01 AM

15,070 posts, read 10,089,802 times
Just wondering. If someone connects to the wifi as a guest customer, does it mean they have access to the home network itself or are they isolated?

Old 01-16-2024, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
Just wondering. If someone connects to the wifi as a guest customer, does it mean they have access to the home network itself or are they isolated?
When I was with Xfinity the fine print blurb said no. I always use my own router as well, but the public (which happened to be mostly Xfinity at the time) was connecting to everybody's Xfinity routers, and the customer had no idea they needed to turn that off. Wherever I went (even on the interstate) my phone was constantly connecting and disconnecting. I had to turn my phone WiFi off because connecting to weak signals constantly was counter-productive.

Last edited by akrausz; 01-16-2024 at 09:29 AM..

Old 01-16-2024, 10:15 AM

4,194 posts, read 4,077,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
Supposedly just WiFi but who knows what a good hacker could get into. Spectrum also says it has no effect on internet speed or performance but how can that be if multiple unregistered people are using your WiFi? If my neighbors are Spectrum Mobile customers they could have been using my WiFi for years. I doubt that but they shouldn't even have that option. A stranger with Spectrum Mobile could park on my street and use my WiFi.

Old 01-16-2024, 10:31 AM

6,589 posts, read 11,277,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinjsxx View Post
Supposedly just WiFi but who knows what a good hacker could get into. Spectrum also says it has no effect on internet speed or performance but how can that be if multiple unregistered people are using your WiFi? If my neighbors are Spectrum Mobile customers they could have been using my WiFi for years. I doubt that but they shouldn't even have that option. A stranger with Spectrum Mobile could park on my street and use my WiFi.
It's segmented from the home owner. Essentially like your guest network. Keep in mind these are consumer products. The effort to go from one segment to another is probably no less than just attacking your wifi AP/router directly. Meaning you're not really increasing your exposure by having this feature. Especially if your wifi password is relatively weak. That would still be the bigger risk.

Performance impact is a different story. They say it has "minimal" effect. But at the end of the day - physics dictate that you are still using the same hardware to carry that information. So while it may not affect your bandwidth, if there are enough error or bad packet/frames sent by the guest - it can potentially affect the processor.

More info from Xfinity on how they provision their service -

https://www.xfinity.com/support/arti...nkId=171769751

I always tell friends/family to turn it off if they have/want to lease the hardware. But using your own hardware is always the first recommendation.

Old 01-16-2024, 11:56 AM

5,124 posts, read 6,123,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinjsxx View Post
I've had Spectrum for a few years and just noticed my WiFi had a setting turned on that makes it a mobile hotspot for Spectrum mobile customers. They say it's for guests in my home who have Spectrum mobile to be able to use my WiFi without connecting with a password. I don't think that makes much sense and I wonder if it is being used a hotspot for Spectrum mobile customers in the area but not in my home. Is that possible? I turned the setting off.
As others have mentioned I have the exact same thing with Xfinity and I have noticed if I am parked in front of a business or visiting someone’s house my phone will try to connect.

I know I should have my own router instead of Xfinitys but still haven’t done so yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet