Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2011, 09:33 AM

14,485 posts, read 20,671,714 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy702 View Post
But what is it really worth? I just think this is all dumb, outside of very astute observers the media is falling into the trap of believing in extrapolation. Its sort of like AIG, the government's piece is worth a lot if you take a tiny floating piece that trades and say all shares are worth that. Problem is the non-floating part owned by US Treasury couldn't possibly be sold for anything near market price right now. If you truly believe the equity owners who don't have publicly traded shares can get the same value for their stakes as shareholders can right now you are just plain gullible.

This was a brilliant move by bankers, make no mistake. They sold these guys who didn't really need the money that much that they could create a demand squeeze and take advantage of Facebook's unwillingness to go IPO. It was a pure opportunity to bring in capital without really giving up much and they took it. It means nothing about the market, the competitive space they are in or what the company is really worth and they all know it. It was just a well-executed strategy and the financial and wider media is just eating it up not realizing what is fact and what is just hype.
Ren Ren (RENN) is a good example. The IPO price for the "privileged" was $14.
It opened the first day at $19.50, the high was $24 and it closed down at $18.01.
The rumors are that the Chinese government will shut these type companies down, over time.
Since May 4th, RENN has visited a closing low of $12.26 on May 24th, and is $13 today.

So much for being among the "privileged" to have gotten some at $14
, you are losing 7.1%.
And with restrictions on being able to sell, they could not sell with the 41% gain they had, at $24.

Of course LNKD is not a RENN in any way. LNKD may be over priced but there are many over priced stocks that stay over priced.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2011, 05:48 PM

12,671 posts, read 23,817,403 times
Anyone buy LNKD? Can this be the next Google or Apple?

Old 05-31-2011, 07:28 PM

5,481 posts, read 6,314,772 times
Quote:
But what is it really worth?
Even taking growth potential into account, based on current earnings, IMHO this stock should be trading under $10 a share. I personally thought $45 was way to high a price to start with, and I was stunned when I saw it go up over $100. How would you have liked to have bought this late that first day at $122? Absolute lunacy if you ask me.

Old 06-02-2011, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treasurekidd View Post
Even taking growth potential into account, based on current earnings, IMHO this stock should be trading under $10 a share. I personally thought $45 was way to high a price to start with, and I was stunned when I saw it go up over $100. How would you have liked to have bought this late that first day at $122? Absolute lunacy if you ask me.

Three academics say there was a bubble in LinkedIn Corp's shares during the first four days of its trading, which they have determined definitively using a model they designed.
The three have devised a model they say can establish in real time whether prices in a market are doomed to collapse.

UPDATE 1-LinkedIn shares were a bubble - academic model | Reuters

Old 06-05-2011, 09:46 PM

810 posts, read 1,580,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
Anyone buy LNKD? Can this be the next Google or Apple?
Ninja please.

Old 06-07-2011, 08:37 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,367,260 times
So dont think we're in a full blown bubble yet, though seeing some extremely sky high valuations. Even though LinkedIn is making money, they even expect to be negative per their filing. Im staying away. On a separate point, Economist had an interesting issue about whether we are in a tech bubble; specifically outlining points on how this bubble will be inflated by the angel investors and pre-ipo markets.

And when i think linkedin was bad, groupon is even worse. Im still taking a look at their filing, but their revenue growth seems unsustainable, little barriers to entry, and they use a made up term to value their business called CSOI.

Old 06-07-2011, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gichicago View Post
So dont think we're in a full blown bubble yet, though seeing some extremely sky high valuations. Even though LinkedIn is making money, they even expect to be negative per their filing. Im staying away. On a separate point, Economist had an interesting issue about whether we are in a tech bubble; specifically outlining points on how this bubble will be inflated by the angel investors and pre-ipo markets.

And when i think linkedin was bad, groupon is even worse. Im still taking a look at their filing, but their revenue growth seems unsustainable, little barriers to entry, and they use a made up term to value their business called CSOI.
I can not see any overall tech bubble. HPQ, CSCO, MSFT, AAPL, GOOG, INTC, and many more trade near 10 times forward earnings or less.

LNKD was a bubble on day one, priced at around 45, opened around 92 and high as 122.
Now near 81. A couple analysts like it, when it gets under $30.

Old 06-17-2011, 06:54 AM

2,305 posts, read 3,030,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL2MT View Post
LinkedIn sure looks like a good short opportunity right now doesn't it?
Yes it does but you can not short an IPO until after 30 days of initial offering.

Old 06-17-2011, 07:16 AM

3,076 posts, read 5,653,312 times
Well, just add Pandora to the mix now. Another company that really doesn't make much money. I can think of a thousand different companies that actually sell something tangible to put my money into. With these websites, what is too stop someone else becoming better at it. Remember when Myspace was big, now its Facebook, and in a few years it could be something we haven't heard of yet.

Old 06-17-2011, 08:40 AM

983 posts, read 2,544,138 times
I used to work for one of these companies in the golden days of .com and I lost $80,000 overnight when the people woke up and figured out that the books were cooked and the company doesn't provide any value. I used LinkedIn but I don't think it provides any value, I sure didn't get any job offers from anyone no matter how big the number of people I am linked to. The only way this company will remain where it is. So if you bought into this and you can make a dollar, take it and run.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing