Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2012, 06:00 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,493,097 times

Advertisements

Interestingly, there was a discussion of NAV, discount/premium, etc. on GTU the other day. No mention of it being bank notes.

GTU Discount

On the runup Fri., GTU was up 4.31%, GLD up 3.88%.

So, now, I dunno, did I get lucky on the discount end? People at gyroscopic seem to think GTU is pretty sound, to quote one:
Quote:
I've always liked GTU. It seems simpler than an ETF since it just buys gold and puts it in a vault, rather than trying to precisely track the spot price of gold. Reading over GTU's annual report, I like how it says right at the top of the first page that:

1. "At least 90% of the total net assets of Central GoldTrust [will] be held in physical gold bullion at all times"
2. "Physical gold holdings may not be loaned, pledged, subjected to options or otherwise encumbered in any way"
3. "Gold bullion is stored on an allocated and segregated basis"

IAU does all these things as well, but the part about not loaning the gold is in an IAU FAQ sheet I found on their website. It seems like a marketing document and I can't actually find anything about it in the prospectus.

I also like the fact that CEF has a long track record, while ETFs are a rather new product.

I'm sure that IAU is fine, but when the premium for GTU dropped to 0.3% the other day, I exchanged IAU for it in my taxable account.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2012, 06:35 PM

106,693 posts, read 108,880,922 times
ooops you are correct, gtu isnt an etn . im not sure why i thought it was an etn.

but cow is for sure an etn.

http://www.benzinga.com/trading-idea...ne-etn-cow-moo

Old 06-02-2012, 06:43 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,493,097 times
You have too much rattling around in your brain, there, Mathjak. We all need more brain cells in this information age. I often get lost in the weeds on stuff I should really know. You're forgiven.

Old 06-03-2012, 07:11 AM

7,855 posts, read 10,291,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
i just looked up cow as i knew nothing about it.

cow is a product called an etn. its not an etf.

while an etf holds the actual commodity or futures contract on that commodity an etn is a debt instrument issued by a bank and is like a bond indexed to a commodity index. your linked to how that index does .

its a very complex structured product with very different structure,risks and taxes then an etf. tax wise an etn can be better ,risk wise an etn can be worse.

an etf is at least secured by the underlying assets. an etn is non secured as basically its a bond issued by a bank or brokerage and your return is just linked to an index.the brokerage buys futures contracts to make the link.

gtu is the etn version of gld

ETF's Vs. ETN's, You Better be Careful | Wiser Wealth Management, Inc

thats strange , COW is listed on the ETF encyclopedia website

Old 06-03-2012, 07:18 AM

no question its not an etf ,its an etn from i-path which is an exchange traded note. its a debt instrument like a bond linked to 60% livestock and 40% hog futures.

http://www.ipathetn.com/us/product/cow/

Old 06-03-2012, 08:11 AM

7,855 posts, read 10,291,736 times
Quote:
no question its not an etf ,its an etn from i-path which is an exchange traded note. its a debt instrument like a bond linked to 60% livestock and 40% hog futures.

iPath<sup class="product">®</sup> Dow Jones-UBS Livestock Subindex Total Return<sup class="productsm">SM</sup> ETN
you are indeed correct , ive just checked COW on yahoo finance and its listed as an ETN , its listed on the ETF encyclopedia website however which seems odd

Old 06-06-2012, 03:19 PM

5,548 posts, read 16,084,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
You have too much rattling around in your brain, there, Mathjak. We all need more brain cells in this information age. I often get lost in the weeds on stuff I should really know. You're forgiven.
When I first parsed this post, I read: "I often get lost smoking weed n' stuff ...'

I don't even smoke weed.
I would if I could, but I cough too much, so alcohol, it is. ( The Macallan )

Old 06-06-2012, 04:30 PM

ha ha ha i would do coke but i hate the smell.....

Old 06-08-2012, 12:29 PM

5,548 posts, read 16,084,695 times
Quote:
ha ha ha i would do coke but i hate the smell.....
I don't even know what coke smells like, but I suspect that it would wreck havok on my respiratory system also.

Why would anyone want to do coke when there is Vicodin? There must be a reason, but I guess I'll never know.

I would think Vicodin would make one a safer stock trader and investor ( more mellow ).

People doing coke would probably tend to [ spin-the-wheel ] / [ roll-the-dice ] more ( I guess ).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing