Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2013, 02:24 PM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,707,908 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
comparisons between index vs managed are never done under real battle field conditions. they assume lab conditions with all the parameters above even steven. the real world does not work like that.
Indeed, on average it is as likely as not that managed funds do even worse than index funds on their benchmark index.

Quote:
portfolio performance is what counts not the individual funds that make it up .
Correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage 80 View Post
I know it's not for everyone, but there are "regular" people out there who study the markets and do very well with the buy low/sell high method.
And there are people out there who study the markets and do very poorly with the buy low/sell high method.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2013, 02:25 PM

795 posts, read 1,391,830 times
LOL @ "the buy low/sell high method."

mathjak, HFT and day trading are definitely zero-sum games. Absolutely positive on that one. Think in aggregate. It's mathematically impossible for the system as a whole to win. You can't create more money than business itself generates.

Old 01-31-2013, 02:29 PM

106,691 posts, read 108,880,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
Indeed, on average it is as likely as not that managed funds do even worse than index funds on their benchmark index.

Correct.

And there are people out there who study the markets and do very poorly with the buy low/sell high method.
i have not paid attention to the individual funds and whether they beat some index or not in more then 20 years.

i worry about two things , my total portfolio return and whether i am happy with the risk vs rewards for the return i got.

last year i got an 11% with 76% less risk then the s&p 500. that is what i am interested in.

Old 01-31-2013, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by celcius View Post
LOL @ "the buy low/sell high method."

mathjak, HFT and day trading are definitely zero-sum games. Absolutely positive on that one. Think in aggregate. It's mathematically impossible for the system as a whole to win. You can't create more money than business itself generates.
maybe defininitely not zero sum game.. i love making up my own words.

Fast Trading Not Zero-Sum Game

Old 01-31-2013, 05:09 PM

1,963 posts, read 1,823,482 times
zero sum game? you could say the same about any facet of life that entails competition.

All you have to do is be smarter than most, and respect the game. Because thats what it is, a game.

Old 01-31-2013, 05:10 PM

somethings are win or lose. other things are you make some,i make some, the next guy makes some.

Old 02-01-2013, 05:54 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,707,908 times
Quote:
i worry about two things , my total portfolio return and whether i am happy with the risk vs rewards for the return i got.
Both of which are reactive measures, rather than predictive, and therefore useless for helping anyone else make good decisions. Congratulations on what you've claimed. Until you can produce objective proof that your approach is better than other approaches, I'll respectfully consider your claims in that regard to be unreliable and broadly non-actionable. Please respectfully allow me to do so.

Old 02-01-2013, 10:13 AM

27,575 posts, read 28,673,621 times
Today, the DOW also topped 14,000 for the first time in more than 5 years.

Keep on going... :-)

Old 02-01-2013, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
Both of which are reactive measures, rather than predictive, and therefore useless for helping anyone else make good decisions. Congratulations on what you've claimed. Until you can produce objective proof that your approach is better than other approaches, I'll respectfully consider your claims in that regard to be unreliable and broadly non-actionable. Please respectfully allow me to do so.
want objective proof? actually i follow a popular newsletter that a few of us here follow. i have been with them for 25 years now. most of the others here are new comers. our results are fully documented .

up until about 5 years ago i followed the growth model and then switched to the income model.

growth model

http://www.fidelityinsight.com/about...ce/g_perf.html

income model

http://www.fidelityinsight.com/about...ce/i_perf.html

Old 02-01-2013, 05:30 PM

6,329 posts, read 3,618,297 times
Quote:
last year i got an 11% with 76% less risk then the s&p 500. that is what i am interested in.
Curious, how do you put such a precise number on risk?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing