Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2013, 06:49 PM

106,724 posts, read 108,913,061 times

Advertisements

fidelity is supposed to release a bunch of managed etf's if you caught that blurb in the newsletter.. i think construction and housing is an excellent choice
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2013, 06:52 PM

6,329 posts, read 3,620,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
WRONG! First of all the S&P 500 was not over 1500 AT ANY TIME DURING THE MONTH OF MAY 2000.

It hit 1527 on March 23 and March 24 of 2000, then it started on a downward trend.

More importantly, you are WRONG BECAUSE YOU DIDN'T INCLUDE THE DIVIDENDS!!!!

With dividends reinvested a $10,000 investment in the S&P 500 on March 23, 2000 would have turned into $12,627.15 on 2/1/13. Of course, that doesn't take expenses into account. With a Vanguard S&P 500 Index fund in their highest expense share class, you still would have come out ahead with $12,474.20. Not great, but still a positive return.

VFINX Chart Vanguard 500 Index Inv Fund Chart
I love dividends. And I have noticed my dividend pay out every quarter has been getting larger and larger as the number of shares I own steadily increases every month.

Old 02-03-2013, 12:09 AM

30,898 posts, read 36,975,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
Whether you are a bull or a bear.
No matter your time frames or investment tools, take 29 minutes to watch and listen to this video.
Jeremy Grantham Interview - CNBC

At one moment in the video he says he is not sure when a decline could begin.
He mentions 1500 at one point.

He may be wrong and he may be right.
But, all investors of all kinds should hear his opinion.
I haven't watched the video yet, but I have read a lot of the stuff he writes...and he is very intelligent and worth reading and listening to.

Old 02-06-2013, 04:11 PM

6,587 posts, read 7,094,342 times
Default Point about mutual funds

Okay. I haven't read through the whole thread yet. I may add more but I have to start so that I don't forget what I need to say.

For those of us we cannot invest in individual stocks. In fact it is much harder to do that and do it correctly and still make money. Mutual funds by their nature are a great investment vehicle. First because your money is put in a pool with other peoples money. A money manager does the picking and managing of the fund. His whole job is to pay attention to detail and make money for his investors. Your money is spread out across an indicy like the S&P 500 or in a fund managers pick of similar stocks and he will buy those with the pool. He/she will leave some reserve for flexibility. The money you put in is buying shares in the mutual fund. This is a key point here. As the fund's investments go up or down that drives the price of the mutual fund share. If you are doing dollar cost averaging (buying on a periodic basis) you will be buying sometimes at a high point or a low point. If it is a low point then your new money will buy more shares. If you are buying at the shares high point your purchase will buy less shares. As someone said he will buy buy buy and not sell sell sell. It is a good idea so as to not lock in your losses. If you sell too soon that is what will happen. Here is a good example. I started my investment in 1987 with zero. About two years ago I had 200,000. Today it is twice that. I didnt add anything more than my bi weekly investments. I know I am not unique here but I am also beginning to capture my gains into the less volatile portion of my funds.

Edit - So I will draw the ire of all of you stock investors. My ideas are my own. I only suggest that you do all the research you can. If you have a company that matches in 401K or 403b take advantage of it. Hopefully they have chosen a good set of funds to choose from. Research those funds and look at their track records. As they say in the brochures past performance does not mean future performance. What it does say and show is their investment philosophy.

So do your homework. Do not panic. Dollar cost average your money unless you are rich and can dump 50,000 in all at once. Even if you do a lump sum you should continue to dollar cost average additional money. The important thing is to invest long term and do not panic when you see losses.

Last edited by oldsoldier1976; 02-06-2013 at 05:24 PM..

Old 02-08-2013, 01:16 PM

4 posts, read 9,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
It went from 683 to 1507 in less than 4 years.

Who knows where she'll go. Where she stops nobody knows.
Agreed...trying to figure out what price and when a correction will start is usually a fools game.

Old 02-08-2013, 06:04 PM

5,134 posts, read 4,488,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfingduo View Post
His whole job is to pay attention to detail and make money for his investors.
Would that it were so.

Old 02-09-2013, 08:26 AM

14,485 posts, read 20,667,037 times
Quote:
Whether you are a bull or a bear.
No matter your time frames or investment tools, take 29 minutes to watch and listen to this video.
Jeremy Grantham Interview - CNBC

At one moment in the video he says he is not sure when a decline could begin.
He mentions 1500 at one point.

He may be wrong and he may be right.
But, all investors of all kinds should hear his opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
I haven't watched the video yet, but I have read a lot of the stuff he writes...and he is very intelligent and worth reading and listening to.
It's well worth the 29 minutes. He gets into the real details in the latter half of the interview.

The S&P is near a triple top. It will be a breakout of the top or down we go. If you follow the many guest and professional investors (whether they are short to medium term traders or loooooong term holders) on CNBC you know that G. Adami has 1350 on his mind. That's 11% and nothing but a garden variety healthy correction.

Old 02-09-2013, 10:27 AM

27,581 posts, read 28,687,607 times
Quote:
It's well worth the 29 minutes. He gets into the real details in the latter half of the interview.

The S&P is near a triple top. It will be a breakout of the top or down we go. If you follow the many guest and professional investors (whether they are short to medium term traders or loooooong term holders) on CNBC you know that G. Adami has 1350 on his mind. That's 11% and nothing but a garden variety healthy correction.
Interesting. It corrected into the 1350s the last time around on November 16.

Old 02-09-2013, 10:43 AM

14,485 posts, read 20,667,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Interesting. It corrected into the 1350s the last time around on November 16.
Not many months ago, Guy A. would say the market is headed higher due to it's behavior. Over valuation, political headwinds, etc. didn't mean anything.

Then he'd say, as a chart watcher that "you know where I stand" and he mentioned 950 S&P on a few occassions.
I never hear M. Lee pin him down on why 950. And I sent her an e-mail and asked her to pin him down the next time he said 950.
He has since raised his downside target. Since we are no longer in the upper 1300's.
He was using retracement analysis and Fibonacci retracement.

Old 02-10-2013, 12:48 PM

61 posts, read 88,403 times
Question for you guys...

How comfortable would you feel if you recently received a huge inheritance and it was going into the markets at these highs? It is evidently going into Vanguard and very conservatively.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing