Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2013, 05:34 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,182,943 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
It went from 683 to 1507 in less than 4 years.

Who knows where she'll go. Where she stops nobody knows.
Of course, it sat at 1527 in May, 2000. So a slight loss over almost 13-years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2013, 05:37 PM

106,728 posts, read 108,937,910 times
The s&p index does not reflect all the dividends that were paid. Dividends are 1/3 of all the gains the s&p 500 racks up.

Old 02-01-2013, 05:48 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,057,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
Both of which are reactive measures, rather than predictive, and therefore useless for helping anyone else make good decisions. Congratulations on what you've claimed. Until you can produce objective proof that your approach is better than other approaches, I'll respectfully consider your claims in that regard to be unreliable and broadly non-actionable. Please respectfully allow me to do so.
I wouldn't argue with MathJak on this one. What ever works for you is great and he has the proof of what works for him. We are both at a stage where we are in the chill out and enjoy our retirement or pending retirement stage. What we seek in risk and what we have gotten in reward is keeping us sleeping well.

Old 02-01-2013, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Butcher View Post
Curious, how do you put such a precise number on risk?
Funds carry a beta value which is a measurement of its swings against an index, in this case the swings are measured against the s&p 500.

You can calculate a portfolios total deviation and get a comparison.

Old 02-01-2013, 06:03 PM

6,329 posts, read 3,620,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
Funds carry a beta value which is a measurement of its swings against an index, in this case the swings are measured against the s&p 500.

You can calculate a portfolios total deviation and get a comparison.
Thanks. After some google researching, your portfolio must of had a beta of .24 correct?

Old 02-01-2013, 06:05 PM

Yeah it was somewhere around .24-.26.

Old 02-02-2013, 04:06 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,713,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
I wouldn't argue with MathJak on this one.
It does seem to be pointless to argue with someone who isn't going to grant that there is even better research supporting the efficient-market hypothesis. The key is to grant that reasonable people disagree about this, and yes, I will grant that.

Old 02-02-2013, 04:10 AM

i am not sure how the efficiant market theory even translates to this discussion. all i am saying is low fees and indexing does not mean a thing unless the entire portfolio plays nice, you buy and sell whatever it is you want to change at the right prices and the risk and rewards match your goal.

like i said ,negotiating the lowest possible price on a car ,and beating the dealer to a pulp on the finance terms mean nothing if you lost it all when you traded it in wholesale.

grandma may have made a crappier deal, paid higher rates but got a better deal on the trade in beating everything you tried to do.

that has nothing to do with whether you think markets are efficiant or not. it is all about the total execution of the plan.

in fact it extends further then that. how you set up your investments as to what goes into what kind of account like roth,taxable ,deferred can have as much as a 20% difference in bottom line.

it even extends out from there into the tax consequenses. if indexing and using something so tax efficiant comes back to bite you in the butt as you decide to change stratagies for retirement then that too can be a problem.

unknowingly having your social security taxed because of a huge sale of an asset being taxed very heavily because it has not been taxed much for decades is not a good plan.

tripping the amt tax for the same reason would end up not a good plan.

it is all about the total execution in real life of your total financial plan and not whether you decided to index or go for the lowest possible fees that will end up mattering despite what the bogle heads live and breath by.

it can end up penny wise and pound foolish if other aspects are not dealt with as well.

it is rare someone gets all aspects correct so there will always be some link destroying part of the effort somewhere in your plan in real life..

you may have better returns from indexing,lower fees and being tax efficient. you may give it back by having poor tax structure down the road from being so efficiant along the way or sold at less then optimal times.

grandma may be paying a cracker jack advisor and her fees are higher but he is a master at tax structure and she can fair better then you.

many folks have fabulous statements with nice big balances from their investments.

only that represents the accumulation stage,the first half of the game.

that is not all their money and most of that can go bye bye in the 2nd half of the game without proper planning for spending down in retirement and tax planning. all your efforts can vanish without proper estate planning for heirs as well.

i think you follow my point, there are loads of things in the path that will diminish many of your efforts and worrying about only 1 or 2 aspects of the big picture is going to leave you poorer then you thought.. like i said i have not looked at whether my funds individually beat their indexs in over 20 years.

i only judge the portfolio against my other options, like if i did nothing but threw it all in cd's is my stress and effort of investing worth the risk vs return

Last edited by mathjak107; 02-02-2013 at 05:26 AM..

Old 02-02-2013, 04:12 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,713,084 times
I doubt that, but if that's the way you want to play it, that's fine with me.

Old 02-02-2013, 05:34 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,057,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
It does seem to be pointless to argue with someone who isn't going to grant that there is even better research supporting the efficient-market hypothesis. The key is to grant that reasonable people disagree about this, and yes, I will grant that.
I understand your point, however I am not disagreeing with your point but rather the futility of arguing it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing