Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2014, 06:10 AM

1,140 posts, read 1,301,532 times

Advertisements

If you judge the market from a technical standpoint, it may be prepared to free-fall. I'm a little skeptical because there hasn't been an event to trigger a market free fall, especially considering the government immorally chose to calculate GDP differently in order to confuse the public, and hides the true unemployment.

However, those that do this for a living surely know that the numbers are inflated.

I wonder if the global economy will have a significant affect on the stock market. People have been saying for a while now that earnings may be up in some cases, but generally revenue has become stagnant, which may mean that people were let go in place of technology or doing more with less.

Anyway, I've been through this before, and I lost all my money.

This time, I'm not going down with a sinking ship, but I would rather be actively involved than sitting out on the sidelines.

I think retail would be a great stock to short in this type of environment, but it looks like retail has already taken a significant hit.

Anybody with experience, what do you suggest people short?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2014, 06:24 AM

1,767 posts, read 1,743,305 times
If you truly feel that the market is set to decline and are willing to "market time", my suggestion would be to hedge your portfolio with SPXS which will move 3X in the opposite direction of the S&P.

Old 02-04-2014, 06:25 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
I read some technical reports yesterday.
Some predict another short rally before yet another big drop.
Others predict this is just a correction and we'll go into a rally.

Who is right here ?

All though seem bullish on long term views.

Retail and food companies have taken a hit.
The hit to food companies has one analyst worried though.

This guy sees a trend but is not ready to call it yet.
Dow Divergence Continues: Market Risk Is Rising | Christopher Quigley | FINANCIAL SENSE

Old 02-04-2014, 06:41 AM

1,883 posts, read 2,828,140 times
Quote:
What are the best stocks to short in a rapidly declining market?
If you had to ask, you shouldn't be shorting. Please make sure you know what you doing before shorting.

Old 02-04-2014, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbnetworking View Post
If you had to ask, you shouldn't be shorting. Please make sure you know what you doing before shorting.
Apparently, I didn't ask you then. If you don't have anything to contribute, please stay out of my thread. There is always someone that has to interject their thoughts as if they are all knowning and all seeing.

Old 02-04-2014, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneslip View Post
If you truly feel that the market is set to decline and are willing to "market time", my suggestion would be to hedge your portfolio with SPXS which will move 3X in the opposite direction of the S&P.
I appreciate the suggestion. I don't have a lot of time to investigate this stock this morning, but upon first viewing, it is set up to do exactly what you suggest it does.

Old 02-04-2014, 06:56 AM

I've lived long enough to understand that sometimes fundamental analysis isn't enough to make up for the psychology of the market, and at times, it almost inexplicably drops.

What's difficult about the market is if you do a linear regression model, you'll find that GDP and the stock market have no correlation.

Sometimes, the stock market is just a big gamble.

And I'm betting on red. Those that are also thinking along the same lines, please offer any suggestions or any tools you use to decide what stocks you plan to short.

I think many would be very appreciative.

Old 02-04-2014, 07:36 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
I don't short but I do read about them.
And if I were I'd go with a long/short fund and let the managers decide what to short.

With that said maybe seeing their portfolios might help you.

Here's an article I saved that lists a number of long/short funds:

Best Long/Short Equity Mutual Funds | US News Best Funds

Old 02-04-2014, 08:19 AM

2,401 posts, read 3,257,429 times
When you predict the market to go up, long the high beta stocks such as banks, other large financial institutions, travel service companies, social networks, and new technology. When you predict the reverse, short these stocks.

Old 02-04-2014, 08:58 AM

21,882 posts, read 25,154,836 times
Stocks with high beta. Of course, that gets priced in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing