Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2014, 12:13 PM

107,058 posts, read 109,362,256 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by celcius View Post
Careful here, math. It only means they can't reinvest it in their existing businesses due to diminishing marginal returns of scale. (Payout ratios aren't 100% either).

You are not bound by the same restraints. You have many more options to reinvest and compound. So in fact you have a much better chance than they do.

In a perfect world, all companies would prefer buybacks to dividends, but the buyback authorizations are at the discretion of the BODs, and buying back stock when the stock is overpriced is value-destructive.

Everything you say about the mechanics of dividends and capital gains is true. But I think you take the demonizing a tad too far. There is a time and place, and for most large-cap companies above $50B with powerful FCF, it is better for them to pay some out than hoard the cash or pursue lower-ROC projects given BOD limits on buybacks.

As you like to say, very often it is the best house in a bad neighborhood.
if they hand it back to you because they can't invest it with out pulling down their marginal returns then as an investor how does that great company I bought help me compound the money I am making with them.

it doesn't, I actually have to go looking for somewhere else to put it.

I could reinvest it but then I am right back again giving them back the money they said they couldn't invest in the first place and grow at the same rate..

it is like having a great paying cd and then I have to reinvest my interest in a much lower investment.

not a big deal when the companies were growing at enormous rates of return but that is no longer the case and as a report from s&p stated these big old guard companies have been growing at a fraction of what used to be.

when I buy a company I buy one for growth and compounding. I don't want my money back ,I want it to grow and compound, after all that is why I am buying the company.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2014, 12:19 PM

879 posts, read 1,965,698 times
Large, mature companies typically DON'T grow/compound your money to the degree that smaller, less-mature companies can.

Old 08-06-2014, 12:23 PM

you can't help but wonder if those ole s&p500 and dow companies either bought back their own stock or bought more market share with those millions given out in dividends what their returns might have been like,.

Old 08-06-2014, 12:35 PM

2,189 posts, read 2,611,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post

There is nothing a dividend payer can do for you that a non dividend payer with the same total return can't.
I have learned a lot from mathjaks posts but have to add my two cents here. In theory this is true but in practice you cannot sell off shares of a non-dividend payer every month or quarter in a cost-effective basis because of the trading commission costs that run about $10. So if your monthly distribution is say $100 and you pay a commission of $10 that is a 10% fee.

Of course there are exceptions, for example if you buy Schwab-branded ETFs you can trade them commission-free online but there are also practical aspects such as you can only sell in some kind of minimum increments and you have to manually make the trades.

So for people wanting monthly or quarterly no-hassle checks "in the mail" or directly into the brokerage account in the form of spendable cash, dividend stocks or ETFs are the way to go, knowing that convenience always comes in the form of some cost.

Old 08-06-2014, 01:07 PM

9,639 posts, read 6,038,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongArm View Post
Large, mature companies typically DON'T grow/compound your money to the degree that smaller, less-mature companies can.
Pick better companies/buy at a better price.

I've got a few companies that are 70+ years old have returned 70%-90% over the past couple years.

Every day new buying opportunities are made.

Old 08-06-2014, 01:12 PM

879 posts, read 1,965,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSquidworth View Post
Pick better companies/buy at a better price.

I've got a few companies that are 70+ years old have returned 70%-90% over the past couple years.
I did say "typically." There are always exceptions.

Old 08-06-2014, 01:20 PM

9,639 posts, read 6,038,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongArm View Post
I did say "typically." There are always exceptions.
and they're made everyday. Just like smaller companies crash and burn.

Even the best company can be too expensive.

Old 08-06-2014, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fumbling View Post
I have learned a lot from mathjaks posts but have to add my two cents here. In theory this is true but in practice you cannot sell off shares of a non-dividend payer every month or quarter in a cost-effective basis because of the trading commission costs that run about $10. So if your monthly distribution is say $100 and you pay a commission of $10 that is a 10% fee.

Of course there are exceptions, for example if you buy Schwab-branded ETFs you can trade them commission-free online but there are also practical aspects such as you can only sell in some kind of minimum increments and you have to manually make the trades.

So for people wanting monthly or quarterly no-hassle checks "in the mail" or directly into the brokerage account in the form of spendable cash, dividend stocks or ETFs are the way to go, knowing that convenience always comes in the form of some cost.
I agree , dividends are simple and a positive reason for their usage.

what can be easier than cashing a check.

Old 08-06-2014, 01:34 PM

795 posts, read 1,394,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
if they hand it back to you because they can't invest it with out pulling down their marginal returns then as an investor how does that great company I bought help me compound the money I am making with them.

it doesn't, I actually have to go looking for somewhere else to put it.

I could reinvest it but then I am right back again giving them back the money they said they couldn't invest in the first place and grow at the same rate..

it is like having a great paying cd and then I have to reinvest my interest in a much lower investment.

not a big deal when the companies were growing at enormous rates of return but that is no longer the case and as a report from s&p stated these big old guard companies have been growing at a fraction of what used to be.

when I buy a company I buy one for growth and compounding. I don't want my money back ,I want it to grow and compound, after all that is why I am buying the company.
Math, it is the law of diminishing marginal returns. It happens to every company, even ones like Berkshire Hathaway and ExxonMobil with superior capital allocation practices. It is expected.

Maybe it's just your language here, but you are being too harsh on the companies. There is no way to avoid DMRs in the large-cap space. As an investor, you either accept that handicap as the price of lower risk, or look elsewhere.

You are right to look elsewhere if you want to maximize compounding. I do not disagree. But do not fault the companies for not defying the universal law of DMR. There is a time and place for them too, and playing the best hand they're dealt with in no way makes them inferior.

You having to look elsewhere to reinvest is an advantage, not a disadvantage. It gives you an option they do not have.

Old 08-06-2014, 02:14 PM

Oh I wouldn't fault the company. if anything it is just food for thought. dividends are not always a good thing if you are trying to grow money as today they are the least efficient things a company can do with your money.

now that may not be a bad thing if you are not looking to max out gains such as in retirement.

something not to volatile that spins off some income isn't a bad thing.

it isn't anything I couldn't duplicate from my portfolio withdrawals with more consistency through good and bad times but if I have a plan in place for making up income shortfalls what the heck , its easy cashing a check.

the only point being made is there is no advantage or disadvantage dividend wise mathematically.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing