Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2014, 06:28 AM

5,894 posts, read 6,961,324 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage 80 View Post
Why does it have to be at the billions level for them to be considered successful?

In general, how many successful people are successful at the billionaire level? Millions, maybe, but billions? Get real.

You are just setting an unrealistically high level to prove your point. Billionaires are total outliers and should not even factor in a conversation about rates of success for the majority of people.
Because, according to Forbes, there are 1645 billionaires. You would think at least one would be a day-trader.
The World's Billionaires - Forbes

There are a number of "traditional" investors in the top 100, including Buffet, Icahn and Soros
The World's Billionaires List - Forbes

I asked the question sincerely, as I was not aware of any highly successful investors that made their money through day trading.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2014, 06:43 AM

26,192 posts, read 21,595,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post
Because, according to Forbes, there are 1645 billionaires. You would think at least one would be a day-trader.
The World's Billionaires - Forbes

There are a number of "traditional" investors in the top 100, including Buffet, Icahn and Soros
The World's Billionaires List - Forbes

I asked the question sincerely, as I was not aware of any highly successful investors that made their money through day trading.
I wasn't aware Ichan and Soros were traditional investors. Buffett for that matter really isn't either.

Old 10-08-2014, 10:19 AM

27,578 posts, read 28,680,428 times
Day trading is, by most measures, harder to do than position trading or longer-term trading. That is because stock prices can fluctuate widely intra-day and it's therefore harder to predict their direction over such short time frames. Plus, it's easier for powerful traders and institutions to manipulate stock prices during the course of a day.

A position trader (who holds a position for weeks at a time) can be right 80% of the time. But even the best day traders with many years of experience are probably right no more than 55% of the time. They will get stopped out rather frequently. So, it is something of a gamble.

Old 10-08-2014, 09:23 PM

323 posts, read 428,861 times

I never thought a day trader would be on the list...................lol.
Im not surprised a few lost billions...................lol. Ask those rogue trades at big investment banks how ez trading is.

Old 10-09-2014, 08:45 AM

7,032 posts, read 14,487,222 times
If you made 1% a day from day trading with absolutely no losses, it'll still take you over 4 years to turn $10,000 into 1 billion.

Old 10-09-2014, 09:42 AM

8,069 posts, read 12,787,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
If you made 1% a day from day trading with absolutely no losses, it'll still take you over 4 years to turn $10,000 into 1 billion.
It would take WELL over 4 years. I just ran the numbers and I came up with 14,400,000.00 in four years.

1) You can only trade roughly 220 days a year.
2) I cheated and just figured paying your short term capital gains tax at the end of the year. In reality you would have to pay quarterly.

I also suspect most people would need to use some of the income for living expenses.

Last edited by Wartrace; 10-09-2014 at 10:14 AM..

Old 10-09-2014, 10:24 AM

879 posts, read 1,962,636 times
It would actually take even longer than that. You can't just compound returns like you would with long-term investments because, when day trading, you can only trade so much capital per trade (and therefore per day) before there is a point of diminishing (or even NEGATIVE) returns. E.g. if you tried to buy $1 million of XYZ, depending on the liquidity of the stock, you'd likely get multiple partial fills at higher and higher prices, raising your average price to a point where it would be much more difficult to make a profit. (You'll have similar problems when you sell too.) So to get relatively quick fills at the current ask price (or close to it), you may need to limit your buys on XYZ to, say, $100,000. The limit will be more or less for different stocks, but there will always be a limit. And that means compounding will be greatly limited as well.

Old 10-09-2014, 11:01 AM

8,069 posts, read 12,787,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongArm View Post
It would actually take even longer than that. You can't just compound returns like you would with long-term investments because, when day trading, you can only trade so much capital per trade (and therefore per day) before there is a point of diminishing (or even NEGATIVE) returns. E.g. if you tried to buy $1 million of XYZ, depending on the liquidity of the stock, you'd likely get multiple partial fills at higher and higher prices, raising your average price to a point where it would be much more difficult to make a profit. (You'll have similar problems when you sell too.) So to get relatively quick fills at the current ask price (or close to it), you may need to limit your buys on XYZ to, say, $100,000. The limit will be more or less for different stocks, but there will always be a limit. And that means compounding will be greatly limited as well.
It would actually be impossible to make a billion dollars from trading stocks when you think about it. You have a great point that there is a limit to the amount you could trade in any one stock. How well could anyone trade when they have to manage 100 different trades at a time?

Old 10-09-2014, 12:09 PM

1,316 posts, read 1,448,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSquidworth View Post
If you're breaking even going long the past 5 years your picks must be pretty horrendous.

I can reach into a big and chances are I'd pull out a ticker that's up double digits since then.

Markets have been pretty yawnworthy for awhile. Everyone should be doing well.
I remember back around 2005 where a Chimp throwing 10 darts at a list of SP500 stocks beat the 500 index by 7% over a 1 year time frame...

Old 10-09-2014, 03:06 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,932,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
never confuse your genius with a bull market.
Similar to 99. All boats rise with the tide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing