Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2015, 06:14 PM

1,901 posts, read 1,827,939 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
they never have over any 15 year or longer period of time . will they ? no one knows but the track record is good enough to at least run with in my book
Thank You MathJak, for finally admitting, after almost a year of debating this topic....that NONE of you know what the Stock Market is going to do for the next 10 - 30 years. Thank you.

Past performance does not guarantee future performance. Track records of stocks and funds are irrelevant going forward.

I have been saying this over and over, thank you for finally admitting what I have been saying, which is that nobody knows what the hell the Stock Market is going to do (which is why I don't invest it in, I could have a 9% per year for 20 year return, or a 4% per year for 20 year return, or a 1% per year for 20 year return, who the hell knows ).

Investing in the Stock Market is gambling, period. You might win big, you might win moderate, you might win small, you might not win at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2015, 06:27 PM

879 posts, read 1,961,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jotucker99 View Post
Past performance does not guarantee future performance.
There's no guarantee that the sun will come up tomorrow morning, either, but based on past history, I would say that the odds are pretty good.

Quote:
Investing in the Stock Market is gambling, period. You might win big, you might win moderate, you might win small, you might not win at all.
So you'd rather ENSURE that you won't win by NOT investing in the stock market? Got it.

Old 08-10-2015, 06:43 PM

I'm in BOLD

Quote:
Originally Posted by longarm View Post
there's no guarantee that the sun will come up tomorrow morning, either, but based on past history, i would say that the odds are pretty good.

Listen, you guys have got to stop comparing other types of "Science" to the "Social Sciences" in terms of consistent, static and predictable outcomes. 2 + 2 will always be 4, there's no disputing it. The sun will always come out eventually, there's no disputing it. Nobody has not a damn clue what the stock market is going to do as there's way too many variables associated with the appreciation of paper value that goes above and beyond anybody's level of comprehension. All you can do is hedge against risk.

so you'd rather ensure that you won't win by not investing in the stock market? Got it.

You are creating a strawman and arguing against it huh? Is the stock market the only investment vehicle available to make great gains? I think not.

Investing in the Stock Market is gambling, just like Math Jak just said, nobody has a "damn clue" what the Stock Market is "gonna do".

Old 08-10-2015, 06:45 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,568,036 times
Quote:
Thank You MathJak, for finally admitting, after almost a year of debating this topic....that NONE of you know what the Stock Market is going to do for the next 10 - 30 years. Thank you.

Past performance does not guarantee future performance. Track records of stocks and funds are irrelevant going forward.

I have been saying this over and over, thank you for finally admitting what I have been saying, which is that nobody knows what the hell the Stock Market is going to do (which is why I don't invest it in, I could have a 9% per year for 20 year return, or a 4% per year for 20 year return, or a 1% per year for 20 year return, who the hell knows ).

Can you ever quote where mathjak said equities had guaranteed returns?

Old 08-10-2015, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
Can you ever quote where mathjak said equities had guaranteed returns?
He has been saying over and over that if you "buy and hold forever", you will NEVER lose money. That's what he has been saying on here for the longest now, have you been paying attention?

Old 08-10-2015, 07:03 PM

Quote:
He has been saying over and over that if you "buy and hold forever", you will NEVER lose money. That's what he has been saying on here for the longest now, have you been paying attention?
So you can't produce a link to guaranteed returns?

Can you produce a link where he said it was impossible to lose money? I have paid attention to what he had said, maybe you should too

Old 08-10-2015, 07:09 PM

Quote:
So you can't produce a link to guaranteed returns?

Can you produce a link where he said it was impossible to lose money? I have paid attention to what he had said, maybe you should too
He has said it a billion times on here lol, are you serious? Matter of fact, just scroll up. He just said that if you buy and hold stocks for 15 years or more, you won't lose money. He continues to say the following:

"There's been no stock funds that's been held for 10, 15, 20, 30 years that has lost money"

So he is saying that diversification and buy/hold forever = guarantee returns. That's his stance. Because if he's saying that if you buy/hold forever that you can't "lose money" then he's saying that a buy/hold strategy is a kin to guaranteed returns.

EVEN you Low E have made comments talking about no fund over a long period of time has lost money. It's what all of you Stock Lovers keep saying and you are 100% incorrect.

Old 08-10-2015, 07:18 PM

Quote:
He has said it a billion times on here lol, are you serious? Matter of fact, just scroll up. He just said that if you buy and hold stocks for 15 years or more, you won't lose money.

Do you have problems with comprehension? He didn't say this above

You can't provide links because they don't exist

Quote:
He continues to say the following:

"There's been no stock funds that's been held for 10, 15, 20, 30 years that has lost money"

So he is saying that diversification and buy/hold forever = guarantee returns. That's his stance. Because if he's saying that if you buy/hold forever that you can't "lose money" then he's saying that a buy/hold strategy is a kin to guaranteed returns.
So no link to the statements you say he has made?

Quote:

EVEN you Low E have made comments talking about no fund over a long period of time has lost money. It's what all of you Stock Lovers keep saying and you are 100% incorrect.

Any link to guaranteed performance? Stating facts isn't the samething as you are doing

Old 08-10-2015, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Do you have problems with comprehension? He didn't say this above
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
they never have over any 15 year or longer period of time
MathJak believes that if you buy/hold forever, you won't lose money. He's said this time and time again. I'm not going through 30 page threads to give you direct Quotes that all you are going to do is act like what he SAID he didn't SAY, because you are disingenuous as hell and that's how you debate.

Old 08-10-2015, 07:59 PM

Quote:
MathJak believes that if you buy/hold forever, you won't lose money. He's said this time and time again. I'm not going through 30 page threads to give you direct Quotes that all you are going to do is act like what he SAID he didn't SAY, because you are disingenuous as hell and that's how you debate.
He said they have never lost not that they won't. You debate by pretending people say something they didn't and then act like they come back to your way of thinking.

He has allegedly said it so many times you shouldn't have to look too hard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing