Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2015, 07:02 AM

26,194 posts, read 21,634,748 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotucker99 View Post
We have to do 3 year and 5 year prospective analysis reports for business planning. I can show you 3 - 5 year reports. Now can you show me a 3 -5 year report going forward for any particular Stock Fund? That's what I'm asking you MathJak.

I understand you providing me a historical performance, but if I put my money in something today (8/11/2015) with a focus on keeping it there for 10 years (8/11/2025) I need you to TELL ME what the next 10 years is going to be like in terms of forecasts, trends, potential profit, potential risks, changes, management changes, new products, new markets, etc. of the companies I'm investing in so I can PREDICT paper asset value growth over the next 10 years.

Your projections of 3-5 years are nothing but guesses. Guesses that you used history to formulate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2015, 07:04 AM

106,834 posts, read 109,092,448 times
the beauty of the broad markets is i don't have to predict . there is no individual company risk . who cares what one company does or even a few . i never need a balance sheet or business plan .

if the 500 largest companies in america can't make it you got a lot more to worry about then your small business .

Old 08-11-2015, 07:04 AM

1,901 posts, read 1,832,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
Your projections of 3-5 years are nothing but guesses. Guesses that you used history to formulate.
This is not true.

Old 08-11-2015, 07:06 AM

5,342 posts, read 6,175,795 times
Yeah, mine is sitting at 3.23% right now.

I am about 60% Russell 1k, 22% Russell 2k, and 18% international.

Old 08-11-2015, 07:06 AM

Quote:
This is not true.
You don't guess and use history in your business plan? That's strange because everyone I have ever seen incorporates both

Old 08-11-2015, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
the beauty of the broad markets is i don't have to predict . there is no individual company risk . who cares what one company does or even a few .

if the 500 largest companies in america can't make it you got a lot more to worry about then yoursmall business .
So for confirmation, correct me if I'm WRONG okay? You are saying to invest in an Index Fund for the long haul, just BECAUSE it's a fund full of blue chip companies? That's it? Just because the brand name blue chip companies are in the fund, that's the sole reason for investing in it?

MathJak the issue here though, is that you are investing in the Paper Value of their Stock Certificate. Their Stock Certificate Paper Value doesn't always correlate with the actual performance (good or bad) of the companies in particular. Wouldn't you agree?

So just because those companies are likely to be around 20 years from now, does that mean their Paper Value would have increased over that time period? The companies could be solid, but the Paper Assets could be depreciating based on things that are beyond/outside the scope of the companies in particular.

Do you get my point here?

Old 08-11-2015, 07:11 AM

Your point is you would like us all to agree that investing in you is better than the broad market. Rinse/repeat it isn't going to happen

Old 08-11-2015, 07:11 AM

Quote:
You don't guess and use history in your business plan? That's strange because everyone I have ever seen incorporates both
No, you said they were nothing BUT guesses (variable revenues), that's not true. A lot of business planning involves fixed income in the form of contracts, current portfolios, etc.

I want to stay on Stocks for right now, then we can go over and discuss the Business Plan concepts. I want you guys to answer my questions on Stocks first.

Old 08-11-2015, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Your point is you would like us all to agree that investing in you is better than the broad market. Rinse/repeat it isn't going to happen
Again, just stay on the topic with discussing Stocks, you are trying to SHIFT the conversation. I have never said anything like what the hell you just typed.

Let's just stay on Stocks for right now...then we can cross-over into Business Investing and I will cover/answer any questions you guys have without any smoke and mirrors like you guys tend to throw up.

Old 08-11-2015, 07:13 AM

Quote:
No, you said they were nothing BUT guesses (variable revenues), that's not true. A lot of business planning involves fixed income in the form of contracts, current portfolios, etc.

I want to stay on Stocks for right now, then we can go over and discuss the Business Plan concepts. I want you guys to answer my questions on Stocks first.
Contracts can terminate, current portfolios can dissolve, become insolvent, not perform up to expectations so you assume/guess that they will. Anything 3-5 years down the road is a guess
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing