Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2020, 08:59 PM

26,194 posts, read 21,601,431 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambitious994 View Post
I believe that it's overblown media hysteria and that out of 323 million people in the country, we only have somewhere around 2,000 confirmed cases as of tonight based on the links I've posted.

If you have other data showing where we have more confirmed cases, post it.

If you don't have said data, then what is your argument? Or are you literally just arguing that I said "1,700" when I should have said "2,100" or that I said "cases" and I should have said "confirmed cases"? If that's what your argument is then you are arguing petty nonsense.
My argument is no one knows how many cases it is and I stated that clearly in my first response to your claim of 1700. My statement is accurate no one knows how many cases we have
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2020, 09:07 PM

545 posts, read 192,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
My argument is no one knows how many cases it is and I stated that clearly in my first response to your claim of 1700. My statement is accurate no one knows how many cases we have
Well if that's your argument then you are completely wrong lol.

We do know how many confirmed cases there are as they are tracking the number of confirmed cases nationally. Granted, more testing is pending and if more people are actually diagnosed, then they are added to the confirmed case tally.

But you can't speculate that there are more "infected people" out there that just haven't been confirmed, without bringing to the table any data, information, report, or anything other than your own speculation.

So if you are going to follow me from thread to thread and argue with me Sir, please argue facts not your opinion. Similar to your "opinion" on when a Capital Gain or Loss is realized when every finance book in the world states otherwise

Old 03-13-2020, 09:11 PM

Quote:

We do know how many confirmed cases there are as they are tracking the number of confirmed cases nationally. Granted, more testing is pending and if more people are actually diagnosed, then they are added to the confirmed case tally.
You know the confirmed cases. Okay I wasn’t discussing confirmed cases and neither were you in the statement I questioned you on

Quote:
But you can't speculate that there are more "infected people" out there that just haven't been confirmed, without bringing to the table any data, information, report, or anything other than your own speculation.
No I can tell you definitively there are more cases than have been confirmed. To believe otherwise is silly at best and willfully ignorant at worst

Quote:
So if you are going to follow me from thread to thread and argue with me Sir, please argue facts not your opinion. Similar to your "opinion" on when a Capital Gain or Loss is realized when every finance book in the world states otherwise
Our prior argument wasn’t bracketed by capital gains or losses so there’s no need for you to love the goal post after you fell into a hole

Old 03-13-2020, 09:15 PM

Quote:
You know the confirmed cases. Okay I wasn’t discussing confirmed cases and neither were you in the statement I questioned you on
Wrong. The link I posted only cited the confirmed cases at the time the reporting was posted. The only type of cases I've been discussing have been those reported by quality sources, in which said sources have only been reporting those that are "confirmed" at the time of reporting.

Quote:
No I can tell you definitively there are more cases than have been confirmed. To believe otherwise is silly at best and willfully ignorant at worst
Then if you absolutely know this, what is taking you so long to post the actual number of cases then?

I've asked you two or three times now to post the data that you have. Post it.

If you have no data, then how do you know there's all of these cases out there to be confirmed? You love to play semantics, so let's play........how about you state that you "speculate" that there's a significant amount of cases to be confirmed? Because you don't "know" anything.

Old 03-13-2020, 11:54 PM

1,003 posts, read 1,200,507 times
Quote:

You are both right. No one knows because there's been minimal testing done. The hospitals barely have any test kits. Doctors offices have none. People don't know where to go to get tested.

I have read about numerous people who are so sick and can't get tested anywhere. Their doctors tell them not to come in, call CDC. CDC tells them to call their local Health Department. They tell them they don't have tests. If they can't breathe to call an ambulance. Do not go to the ER before calling first.
They are only testing people who wind up in ICU.

I'm not making this up. Is happening to a woman I know who is running 103 fever, coughing, can barely walk. She went to Urgent Care they gave her a flu test, negative. They gave her a strep test, negative. They told her to go to the ER, but to call them first. Calls them, told to not come in unless her breathing got worse.

She goes home, still can't get tested and no one wants to help her because they are afraid of her spreading if it is Corona.

She's now in ICU. Finally got tested today. Results take 2-3 days.

She's an elementary teacher in Florida, She's 46 yrs old.

They finally closed the schools today.

Old 03-14-2020, 05:14 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,229,238 times
Quote:

That is a very reasonable speculation given the facts. You think the last confirmed case was the last infected person and the spread has ended?

Old 03-14-2020, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1insider View Post
That is a very reasonable speculation given the facts. You think the last confirmed case was the last infected person and the spread has ended?
According to The NY Times this morning there are nearly 2200 cases in the US and West Virginia is the only state to not have a cases yet. Well as of Thursday the numbers were 1700 confirmed, 2000 yesterday 2200 this morning so it’s clear the number of people confirmed keeps going up

Old 03-14-2020, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macyny View Post
You are both right. No one knows because there's been minimal testing done. The hospitals barely have any test kits. Doctors offices have none. People don't know where to go to get tested.
Cool, so as I mentioned let's just let those who feel they need to be tested to be tested, to determine if the number of confirmed cases will spike significantly high for this thing? But my main point is that everybody is freaking out over something we don't even know is a huge deal yet.

And when I say everybody, I'm talking everybody from those on this board, to The President, to CEOs of industries. We are shutting down events, movies, schools, colleges, and local businesses are struggling to get customers. We are creating our own freaking recession over nothing but hysteria at this moment, because again, as of about 30 minutes ago based on the Live National Tracker, we still only have about 2,195 confirmed cases: https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...-us-cases.html

- A significantly high amount of people (millions) get Influenza every single year (https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden/index.html) but do we shut everything down over that?

- A significantly high amount of people (millions) get new STD infections every single year (https://www.healthypeople.gov/2020/t...itted-diseases) so should the world come to an end because we can speculate that people will stop having sex, which will hurt reproduction rates, and mankind will eventually be no more?

From H1N1 and onward, we always have different diseases and germs out there in the world that we have to deal with. Germs are everywhere. All we can do is be aware of them, always disinfect, always wash your hands, try to live a more healthy lifestyle so that your body can be more productive in fighting off diseases, etc.

But shutting down events, movies, schools, colleges, etc., etc., is freaking ridiculous .

Again, we are potentially creating our OWN recession. Not a recession that's a result of millions of confirmed cases of COVID-19, but a recession that's a result of hysteria over it !

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1insider View Post
That's the thing, all I know is what the Live Tracker says https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...-us-cases.html

Everybody else is speculating that there are millions and millions and millions of others out there with this, and that's why everything is shutting down creating a potential hysteria infused recession.

Old 03-14-2020, 07:08 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,229,238 times
Quote:

Again, we are potentially creating our OWN recession. Not a recession that's a result of millions of confirmed cases of COVID-19, but a recession that's a result of hysteria over it !

That's the thing, all I know is what the Live Tracker says https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...-us-cases.html

Everybody else is speculating that there are millions and millions and millions of others out there with this, and that's why everything is shutting down creating a potential hysteria infused recession.
I missed the multiple millions already infected speculations. I have heard that if we don't practice effective social distancing that it could get there considering the rate of progression so far. We have a chance to slow it down if we'll just behave prudently. Not addressing the spread is a guaranteed recession. Addressing the spread might mitigate the effects. Choose one.

Old 03-14-2020, 07:14 AM

106,724 posts, read 108,913,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trump2020 View Post
more died in car crashes yesterday than all who have died from 19! You people need to get a grip - the sky is not falling the sun will come up in the morning and yes some of us will get sick and some will die -- just like yesterday and the day before man y more will die from lung disease, heart attacks, drunk drivers and drive by's!
the world loses 150,000 people a day ..... 2/3's are age related deaths
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing