Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2022, 11:02 AM

8,182 posts, read 9,218,473 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang84 View Post
5 years behind? Weren't the Tesla bulls saying the competition was a decade behind not very long ago? Let's bring some reality into this conversation, because that supposed gap has quickly eroded and is possibly even negligible at this point.

In real world range, Tesla is losing its edge...consistently underperforming its EPA rated range while competitors exceed not only the EPA range, but also exceed Tesla's range in real world testing. And some of them do it for less money.

The 4860 cells are delayed yet again due to technical issues. Delayed now to 2024. Teardowns of current 4680 cells have found they are just regular old NCM-811 cells. No silicone anode as promised, just regular old graphite.

Autopilot / FSD with vision-only has been a basketcase with widespread phantom braking and unhappy owners who had radar capability taken away in recent updates. Now ultra-sonic sensors are going away to save additional pennies. All of this cost-cutting boosts margins, but is irritating owners and causing others to look eslewhere for their next EV purchase. There are also class-action lawsuits over the phantom braking. FSD is still swerving into stuff like trains and cyclists and trying to run stop signs.

The one thing I will admit that Tesla is still ahead on is charging. They have a decent head start which gives them an edge. But that gap will close as the infrastructure bill funds hundreds of new EV charging stations nationwide. And when you have competitors that are offering comparable or better real-world range for less money, I don't know how much of a moat Tesla's supercharger network truly is.

Tesla is the Blackberry of EV's...they are a first mover darling, but quickly losing ground to established players who are now flooding the market with EV's. Tesla, even at $200 ($600 pre-split), is still wildly overvalued and is a double-digit stock at best (many bears will say single digit, but I think there is still a lot of brand equity left even though Elon Musk is doing his best to destroy it).
I'd love to see a high selling car with better technology, better manufacturing and better battery BMS. (Not just a bigger battery to add range). Their BMS is constantly being improved. 4860 will be coming, they just secured a location to begin lithium refining. https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...inery-in-texas

The giga press for the cybertruck has been delivered to Texas, engineering is complete. They are finishing the facilities to create the machines that create the cars. Most car companies are still using off the shelf parts for EVs. Just watch Sandy Monro teardowns. https://www.tesmanian.com/blogs/tesm...sed%20company.

As someone who has been in the beta FSD program for a year, I can say the dramatic increase in skill by the car has been amazing. It now does very confusing roundabouts in my neighborhood, complex streets, construction and more. While not perfect, this is how you innovate. I report every issues or problem.

The competition has a long way to go to get a quality charging network.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUza0fG6y0k

I'll stick with innovation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2022, 11:28 AM

I hope all you Tesla bears load up on the Teslaq ETF!

https://www.marketwatch.com/investing/fund/tslq

Old 10-21-2022, 12:23 PM

464 posts, read 315,150 times
Cathie Wood bought another $13.7 mil of Tesla.

... Like I thought she would. -Kiss of death.

Old 10-21-2022, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foulball View Post

You do know she is a long term investor, right?

Old 10-21-2022, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang84 View Post
5 years behind? Weren't the Tesla bulls saying the competition was a decade behind not very long ago? Let's bring some reality into this conversation, because that supposed gap has quickly eroded and is possibly even negligible at this point.

In real world range, Tesla is losing its edge...consistently underperforming its EPA rated range while competitors exceed not only the EPA range, but also exceed Tesla's range in real world testing. And some of them do it for less money.

The 4860 cells are delayed yet again due to technical issues. Delayed now to 2024. Teardowns of current 4680 cells have found they are just regular old NCM-811 cells. No silicone anode as promised, just regular old graphite.

Autopilot / FSD with vision-only has been a basketcase with widespread phantom braking and unhappy owners who had radar capability taken away in recent updates. Now ultra-sonic sensors are going away to save additional pennies. All of this cost-cutting boosts margins, but is irritating owners and causing others to look eslewhere for their next EV purchase. There are also class-action lawsuits over the phantom braking. FSD is still swerving into stuff like trains and cyclists and trying to run stop signs.

The one thing I will admit that Tesla is still ahead on is charging. They have a decent head start which gives them an edge. But that gap will close as the infrastructure bill funds hundreds of new EV charging stations nationwide. And when you have competitors that are offering comparable or better real-world range for less money, I don't know how much of a moat Tesla's supercharger network truly is.

Tesla is the Blackberry of EV's...they are a first mover darling, but quickly losing ground to established players who are now flooding the market with EV's. Tesla, even at $200 ($600 pre-split), is still wildly overvalued and is a double-digit stock at best (many bears will say single digit, but I think there is still a lot of brand equity left even though Elon Musk is doing his best to destroy it).
Good overview of the 4680 teardown.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4u7vwBrhlxA

Old 10-21-2022, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foulball View Post

Death?

This is her average basis for Tesla per fund.
ARK Estimated Cost Average
$108.39 - ARKK
$85.56 - ARKQ
$108.77 - ARKW

Old 10-21-2022, 03:23 PM

1,078 posts, read 629,559 times
TSLA has been range-bound between the low 200s and 310s since May. While TSLA came down just below the May low this week, TSLA closed up over the past week with increased volume. It'll be interesting to watch if the stock can gain some momentum, especially with some big tech earnings next week.

Old 10-23-2022, 08:32 PM

464 posts, read 315,150 times
As of the recent report, shareholder equity is $37.2 billion. -Far from the current $672 billion market cap.

Old 10-24-2022, 05:10 AM

10,864 posts, read 6,490,397 times
TSLA is lowering asking price of its cars in China by 9%

Old 10-24-2022, 09:33 AM

3,497 posts, read 2,192,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo101 View Post
TSLA is lowering asking price of its cars in China by 9%
Soft demand in China. Shouldn’t come as a surprise with their economy in shambles. Still thinking TSLA tests $150 within the next few months. Keep that dry powder ready…
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing