Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2023, 02:41 AM

106,608 posts, read 108,757,383 times

Advertisements

the fed has no idea how things will play out themselves so i wouldn’t even attempt to guess ..but it is bond investors who are really in control and where they bid rates .

right now there is no doubt the worlds bond investors see us pretty close to a bottom with the 30 year at 3.88 and the ten year at just 3.69% .

despite poppa fed raising rates investors are bidding them down as they smell trouble brewing and so we have the proverbial inverted yield curve ..

that happens when investors see things differently then the fed .

historically it is the bond investors who are correct when this happens
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2023, 03:57 AM

4,859 posts, read 451,031 times
35% in bonds now. If I understand you, I should expect to be happy, soon.

Old 06-04-2023, 04:40 AM

i wouldn’t say that .

if we fall in a recession , high yield and corporate bonds can get hammered like 2008 ..

only treasuries are sure to go up if the fed loosens because we are in a recession.

in fact most non treasury investment grade bond funds can be really beaten up as the sweet spot right now where 70% of investment grade bond money is , is in the BBB grade .

that is one rung above junk .

any credit down grades in a recession can have all these funds and institutions that can’t hold anything less then investment grade dumping them blowing up the corporate bond market .

that is the big elephant in the room now.

personally i own no bonds or money markets that are not treasuries

Last edited by mathjak107; 06-04-2023 at 05:07 AM..

Old 06-04-2023, 09:51 AM

3,039 posts, read 3,308,574 times
Going back to the OP, wonder if we now have truly National Banks. A bank that has branches in 48-50 states. Move from CA anywhere & you don't have to change banks. Go on vacation anywhere & you can always find free ATM machine.

In the bank takeovers US Bank extended it's region into the West. The big got bigger.

Then the executives from the sold bank get to make a New Bank. Mostly affects accounting & IT departments (don't need 2).

Old 06-04-2023, 02:50 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,469,646 times
People dont carry much cash any more,so being out of town,looking for free ATM machine?
If you are on vacation,you probably wont be doing business with retail stores which only take cash.
Brick and mortar bank branches carry fixed overhead,banks have been shutting them down one by one

Old 06-05-2023, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWoodle View Post
Going back to the OP, wonder if we now have truly National Banks. A bank that has branches in 48-50 states. Move from CA anywhere & you don't have to change banks. Go on vacation anywhere & you can always find free ATM machine.

In the bank takeovers US Bank extended it's region into the West. The big got bigger.

Then the executives from the sold bank get to make a New Bank. Mostly affects accounting & IT departments (don't need 2).
You got a point, there.

I never wanted to follow the crowd. Credit Unions for me. Just 3: 2 here on the island. And a joint account with my son and wife around L.A., where he lives. He can just grab money that I want to give him for his birthday, for example.

In Canada, the "Big 5" have about 90% of deposits---- including money in Credit Unions. That's like a gov't sponsored monopoly.

BMO
CM
TD
RY
BNS

Old 06-07-2023, 07:24 PM

7,644 posts, read 4,593,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
i wouldn’t say that .

if we fall in a recession , high yield and corporate bonds can get hammered like 2008 ..

only treasuries are sure to go up if the fed loosens because we are in a recession.

in fact most non treasury investment grade bond funds can be really beaten up as the sweet spot right now where 70% of investment grade bond money is , is in the BBB grade .

that is one rung above junk .

any credit down grades in a recession can have all these funds and institutions that can’t hold anything less then investment grade dumping them blowing up the corporate bond market .

that is the big elephant in the room now.

personally i own no bonds or money markets that are not treasuries
Can never rep again....maybe perma ban?

I definitely have made the mistake before of taking Corporate debt to trade like treasuries. They don't.

I do find it funny in that I believe the Federal Government will never be able to pay back its money owed, but the reality is the demand for the safe harbor is what's craved. It's like McDonalds. Not the best burger, but everyone around the world knows what to expect.

Old 06-08-2023, 03:29 AM

people think because they own bonds they are protected ..but that is just false .

corporate bonds are dependent on the same things stocks are as there is a credit rating they need to maintain .

high yield bonds have more in common with stocks then bonds …they are tied to the equity markets for the. most part . they shouldn’t even be considered as much diversification away from stocks .

so just buying a total bond fund , which is anything but total will never provide the fighter cover of long term treasuries nor the weight in a recession or depression to protect one’s equities .

real diversification from the major economic outcomes only comes from treasuries .

one can use an intermediate term treasury fund like IEF . Or they can split the bond budget between long term treasuries and very short term treasuries or treasury money markets forming a barbell .

it will have the same interest rate sensitivity as the intermediate term fund but offer a lot more flexibility.

going back to 2020 let’s compare using 100k

50% tlt and 50% money market is 93,915

100% in ief is 93,132

100% in ief tended to do better over most time frames but it did not offer as much flexibility as the barbell.

there are some time frames the barbell did better but they were mostly from around 2010 or so.

bnd total bond fund rarely beat the treasuries out despite lower expenses and higher rates

Last edited by mathjak107; 06-08-2023 at 03:48 AM..

Old 07-03-2023, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treasurekidd View Post
“will recover and then some in the next 5-10 years”. And then some. 5-10 years is not a long time to a long term investor.

I bought BAC during the GFC, and even with the recent pullback, I’m still up 330% and getting a 10% plus dividend yield on cost. I’ve trimmed the position a bit recently to pay for a daughters college tuition, but it’s still a very profitable position.

If you can stand the volatility inherent in financials, now is a good time to buy solid companies.
Agreed. Although I'm not making regional/small banks a large portion of the portfolio. Appropriate amounts being put at risk, in line with the extent of the risk (and volatility) involved. My BHB has been up over $33 in the past year but stands at below $25 right now. Good time to add.

Of course, there are those on this forum who will disagree with ANYTHING because they have to convince themselves that they are the smartest ones around. Screw them. Everyone's circumstances and risk tolerance and goals and purposes are unique.

Old 07-03-2023, 02:31 AM

no ,there are those here who will disagree when the facts and numbers say something is not performing and lags the pack over and over.

it is important for others to have the facts so they can make their own informed decision when someone recommends something that clearly has not performed at a time that the asset group has done well .

a reit that performs poorly when real estate had a good run up is no proxy for real estate holdings , it basically performed as a bond not real estate in that last discussion

Last edited by mathjak107; 07-03-2023 at 03:52 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing