Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2023, 08:28 AM

170 posts, read 74,050 times

Advertisements

whether it is 4 % or 5%,we are still losing purchasing power as time goes by.
So our $1k would be say $1005.65 a year from now,can we still buy the same goods and services as one year ago ?
We would have to trade down,find a cheaper haircut,eat more hamburger than steak,eat more chicken and pork,make our own coffee instead of Starbuck,take generic drug instead of brand name drug,so on and so forth.
Feel free to share your downsize recipes !
As a kid,I recall watching my mother shoved $100 bill into her purse before we go shopping and I know there would be some heavy duty buying ahead,fast forward to 2000,how much can $100 buy ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2023, 08:35 AM

106,571 posts, read 108,713,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMWILSON View Post
So our $1k would be say $1005.65 a year from now,can we still buy the same goods and services as one year ago ?
We would have to trade down,find a cheaper haircut,eat more hamburger than steak,eat more chicken and pork,make our own coffee instead of Starbuck,take generic drug instead of brand name drug,so on and so forth.
As a kid,I recall watching my mother shoved $100 bill into her purse before we go shopping and I know there would be some heavy duty buying ahead,fast forward to 2000,how much can $100 buy ?
this is why investing plays a key roll …even a penny compounded every day for 30 days is over 5 million dollars.

i can easily say our investments over the decades outpaced inflation by far

hypothetically 100k in the fidelity insight growth model when i started in 1987 is over 5 million today in nothing special fidelity funds

that is through crashes , wars , the great recession and the covid shut down

100k subject to inflation since 1987 is 270,300

i would say that difference allows for a big fudge factor too

that is about a 12% cagr return , even the s&p averaged around 11% so that is right about the average historical 10%

i started out at 10k a year at my job as an hvac tech in 1974 ..today that same amount is about 63k …i retired at 2x that amount so pay wise learning more and more and staying ahead of the curve paid off

Last edited by mathjak107; 12-17-2023 at 09:09 AM..

Old 12-17-2023, 09:13 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMWILSON View Post
$100 bought 526.33 gal of gas for my 12mpg $3500 muscle car (Hemi Cuda), when I was making $1.50/ hr and commuting 40 miles to work.
Today...
$100 buys 19 gal of gas for the same car, (worth $350,000) but I make $0/ hr, and don't need to commute.

My daily driver car cost me $35, gets 50 mpg, and has been burning free home brew fuel since 1976 energy crisis.

I sold the hemi Cuda too cheap.

Regional banks have a challenge ahead in their own uncertain territory.
How much empty office space have they extended credit too?
How can they retain investor's (capital) who can hop around to whichever eBank has the best interest and terms, today?
Are their business clients solvent?, or still propped up by pandemic loans?
What will be the financial climate in 2025?
What happens when the TCJA provisions expire?
Some really BIG questions

I only know one thing for sure (now)... I won't need to be buying any gasoline. Until some lame and neutered official bans ICE vehicles from legal registration and use. (it's coming)

Freezer, woodshed, pantry, and vehicles are full.
Garden is dormant,
Harvest is in.

Map your own course.

Old 12-17-2023, 03:51 PM

4,859 posts, read 450,201 times
My single-stock regional bank is surging. No complaints. This will change over time, but at present, I couldn't be happier. BHB and tracking BRKL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing