Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2023, 09:39 PM

492 posts, read 145,367 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuiteLiving View Post
This thread may be about fixed income assets, but it is not about fixed income investing, which is what this forum is about. What you’re preaching amounts to nothing more than market timing. You can color it with charts, but that is the bottom line.
Go, read again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2023, 09:41 PM

Folks have areal issue with fixed income financial instruments on city data. Everyone wants the big win. Just watch.

Bloomberg subscribers folks, go watch this.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/featu...-street-titans

Last edited by WalkintheLight; 08-01-2023 at 09:42 PM.. Reason: link

Old 08-01-2023, 09:47 PM

David rubenstein says , the only way out of this 32 trilion dollar debt, is to inflate your way out, anyone else agree?

We are under a quanitive tightening, not quanitive easing.

Get it?

Old 08-01-2023, 09:52 PM

https://www.project-syndicate.org/co...-singh-2023-07

Old 08-01-2023, 10:37 PM

13,080 posts, read 7,527,706 times
Last 24 months, holding too much cash. Gradually moving to CD's in a laddering-timing plan. Did complete a 1035 transfer from VA to 3yr MYGA that if the sending annuity company (Brighthouse) had waited another 2 weeks, that transfer would've added 5% to the transferred balance. I imagine Brighthouse was please to get rid of this GWLB.
We are not in a hurry. Our wealth isn't so high that foregoing the CD advantage over cash is going to affect our living standard. A big stock increase won't "much" affect us either.

I haven't a clue on how to solve the National Debt. No idea how other countries are going to solve their debt problem.
YMMV

Old 08-02-2023, 03:12 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,231,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkintheLight View Post
I am retired, been retired for 25 years..
Did you begin your 20 year career of stock trading at age 15?

Old 08-02-2023, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1insider View Post
Did you begin your 20 year career of stock trading at age 15?
Thank you for your kind words.

Nothing to add for fixed income. Some opinion.

Old 08-02-2023, 06:57 AM

711 posts, read 295,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkintheLight View Post
Fixed Income Investments are the way to go right now. Forget about the stocks, it as illusion for you, if you like illusions.

Being up by 25% is a meaningless dribble, unless you lock in those gains, they are a big nothing burger.

Frre up cash also, to buy the blood , when it comes.

War is an inflationary thing.

The Stock market doesn't exist to make anyone money, it is a wealth transfer mechanism.

I worked for Bears and Stearns, in the 80's. It was the first Job I had to take a Lie detector test for. I lied about everything during the test, and still passed. Maybe they wanted us Liars working there. At the end of the test, I asked the operator, how did I do? He said, I was just like the rest of them. What ever that meant.

I was also a stock trader for 20 years.

Protect your money, don't let them steal from you.
LOL, what is "Bears and Stearns"? You mean Bear Stearns?

Your advice is dangerous. Fixed income has a place in every investment yes, but it varies by one's risk tolerance and investment horizon. There is no "one system fits all". Fortunately for those reading it's hard to take your thread seriously with all your strange jargon. I mean "buy the blood", "war is an inflationary thing"...no one talks like that in investment circles. Likewise, no one cares about your stock trader career, if indeed you are even honest about it (which I doubt since like someone said you would have had to start your career when you were 15). Stock brokers are salesman, not much different and no more knowledgeable than used car salesmen.

Old 08-02-2023, 07:14 AM

3,788 posts, read 5,335,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Wadd View Post
LOL, what is "Bears and Stearns"? You mean Bear Stearns?

Your advice is dangerous. Fixed income has a place in every investment yes, but it varies by one's risk tolerance and investment horizon. There is no "one system fits all". Fortunately for those reading it's hard to take your thread seriously with all your strange jargon. I mean "buy the blood", "war is an inflationary thing"...no one talks like that in investment circles. Likewise, no one cares about your stock trader career, if indeed you are even honest about it (which I doubt since like someone said you would have had to start your career when you were 15). Stock brokers are salesman, not much different and no more knowledgeable than used car salesmen.
I think that everyone mistook the OP.

He/she didn't work for Bear Stearns, but rather Bears and Stearns. Come on, Grizzly and Black bears also need investment advice, but I don't know about the Stearns family.

BTW, I have moved new money into those 5.3% CDs, which increases my fixed income assets, but without selling my stock assets. Got to stay diversified in this crazy country. Half the country are bonkers crazy, and the other half have to protect themselves against the actions of the crazy half.

Last edited by Teak; 08-02-2023 at 08:02 AM..

Old 08-02-2023, 07:30 AM

711 posts, read 295,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teak View Post
I think that everyone mistook the OP.

He/she didn't work for Bear Stearns, but rather Bears and Stearns. Come one, Grizzly and Black bears also need investment advice, but I don't know about the Stearns family.

BTW, I have moved new money into those 5.3% CDs, which increases my fixed income assets, but without selling my stock assets. Got to stay diversified in this crazy country. Half the country are bonkers crazy, and the other half have to protect themselves against the actions of the crazy half.
Maybe he worked at a zoo when he was 15, thus starting his illustrious career advising bears and sterns (water birds) and other animals; if you call cleaning out poop from pens "advising".

Yes at my age and investment horizon I am heavily invested in fixed income assets myself, mostly treasuries and some CDs and high yield savings accounts. Probably about 70%. For someone young with an investment horizon of 3 or 4 decades I would never recommend the majority in it. People think fixed investments have no risk. That is not true. Their is inflationary risk (and to a lesser degree liquidity risk, call risk, default risk, etc). You can mitigate it with laddering but not totally eliminate it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing