Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2023, 04:08 AM

106,695 posts, read 108,880,922 times

Advertisements

well all i can do then is to just voice my opinion that you are throwing advice out there that is quite poor without knowing a thing about who you are telling this to
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2023, 09:27 AM

287 posts, read 212,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkintheLight View Post
You know nothing of me.

I know nothing of you, why the hate? Thank you very much though.

This thread is about fixed interest and Investing, not a view of yours which really means nothing, an empty soda can.

You're paranoid. I was neither talking to you nor of you. My post was neither for your point or against it. I'll leave you to your thread now.

Old 08-03-2023, 03:59 PM

16,279 posts, read 10,418,527 times
With rates high I came to this thread actually interested in a fixed income discussion. Instead I see an opening post saying stocks are "stealing your money" and then watch in amazement as the OP gets butt hurt when posters call him/her out on this nonsense.

On to the next thread.....

Old 08-08-2023, 05:12 AM

1 posts, read 175 times
Default Investing

"Investing is, in general, the process of putting money to work over time in a project or effort with the aim of generating positive returns (profits that surpass the initial outlay).It's the process of allocating resources, often capital (i.e., money), with the hope of making money, making gains, or making a profit.
Various actions can be carried out (directly or indirectly), such as using financial resources to start a business or purchasing assets like real estate with the goal of renting it out or selling it for a profit later on.

In contrast to saving, investing involves putting money to work, which carries an implied risk that the connected project(s) might fail and cause a financial loss. The other way that investing differs from speculating is that the latter involves wagering on short-term price swings rather than really putting the money to work.

For best shares to buy in India you can check the IIFL securities, they have a team of professionals that do thorough research, examine the stock market, and choose the best-moving stocks. These stocks are among a large number of others that are suggested for purchase; only the finest are included in the top list. "
[url]https://www.indiainfoline.com/markets/hot-stocks[/url]

Old 08-08-2023, 10:35 AM

13,075 posts, read 7,515,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
With rates high I came to this thread actually interested in a fixed income discussion. Instead I see an opening post saying stocks are "stealing your money" and then watch in amazement as the OP gets butt hurt when posters call him/her out on this nonsense.

On to the next thread.....
OP was too defensive and argumentative. He did have a good topic to explore and discuss.

FYI, at age 73/76, we care more about Income security rather than stock market trading or gains.
Most of our remaining trading stock market investments are very high risk with the probability of failure very high. Currently -80% or more, however it used to be -90%. I'm dollar cost averaging to get the losses, lower. Today Russel 2000, -1.4% @12:30ET.

As a senior citizen, with just moderate wealth, I still buy an occasional Lottery ticket.
YMMV

Old 08-08-2023, 11:09 AM

106,695 posts, read 108,880,922 times
since 1871 , a safe withdrawal rate from a proper diversified portfolio has provided income security about on par with the best of insurance products over all 123 rolling 30 year periods we had .

only 6x since 1871 would a retiree had to adjust from 4% inflation adjusted to about 3.60% .

none of the times happened since 1966 .

other then that 90% of the time they ended with more then they started with so that is pretty damn secure

Old 08-08-2023, 01:52 PM

710 posts, read 292,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leastprime View Post
OP was too defensive and argumentative. He did have a good topic to explore and discuss.

FYI, at age 73/76, we care more about Income security rather than stock market trading or gains.
Most of our remaining trading stock market investments are very high risk with the probability of failure very high. Currently -80% or more, however it used to be -90%. I'm dollar cost averaging to get the losses, lower. Today Russel 2000, -1.4% @12:30ET.

As a senior citizen, with just moderate wealth, I still buy an occasional Lottery ticket.
YMMV
The OP was out of control. Now he will, shall we say, no longer be joining us.

His mistake (well, one of many) was assuming that his strategy fit everyone, regardless of age, risk tolerance, and investment horizon. He was also preaching market timing. A loser proposition almost all of the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing