Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2023, 09:36 PM

287 posts, read 211,694 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkintheLight View Post
Thank you. Either contribute fixed income advice or go away. I NEED NOTHING FROM YOU.

yOU FOLKS WHO USE ANALYSTS FOR ADVICE. Know this, Analysts listed both World com and Enron as buys up until the day they went bankrupt.
I'll say that at least one poster in this thread has never had an original idea in his life and just regurgitates what he reads online. He's been banned more than once and is Kitce's #1 fanboy. He's afraid of any original ideas and his knee-jerk reaction is to belittle.

I'll also say that this time IS different. When the Fed reduced interest rates to near-zero, the game changed. Savers and risk-averse investors are paying the price for this foolish monetary policy. To be happy with 2-3% interest for years and overjoyed to get 5-6% now is evidence that these folks are happy to pick up crumbs. Meanwhile, our country's debt has been downgraded twice and the government spending is showing no sign of slowing down. The writing is on the wall: those holding gov't. debt will be left holding the bag. These times require new creativity in fixed income finances to generate the reliable income we rely on in retirement. Maybe this means we all raise our risk tolerance in order to de-risk. I know this sounds like nonsense, but 5% 1-year CDs or T-bills are just kicking the can down the road to a time when things will look far worse than now. The government will not reduce spending and cannot afford to pay interest on the debt at higher rates. This will invariably lead to default.

Last edited by Bruceski44; 08-02-2023 at 09:46 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2023, 12:59 AM

106,592 posts, read 108,739,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
CDs aren’t free money, no way a professional trader says this.
i don’t believe for a second that this is advice coming from a pro , or even someone. with good financial sense ,as a general statement to all which is what the op threw out here .

there is no such thing as telling everyone what is best for them and anyone with financial common sense knows this

Old 08-03-2023, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruceski44 View Post
I'll say that at least one poster in this thread has never had an original idea in his life and just regurgitates what he reads online. He's been banned more than once and is Kitce's #1 fanboy. He's afraid of any original ideas and his knee-jerk reaction is to belittle.

I'll also say that this time IS different. When the Fed reduced interest rates to near-zero, the game changed. Savers and risk-averse investors are paying the price for this foolish monetary policy. To be happy with 2-3% interest for years and overjoyed to get 5-6% now is evidence that these folks are happy to pick up crumbs. Meanwhile, our country's debt has been downgraded twice and the government spending is showing no sign of slowing down. The writing is on the wall: those holding gov't. debt will be left holding the bag. These times require new creativity in fixed income finances to generate the reliable income we rely on in retirement. Maybe this means we all raise our risk tolerance in order to de-risk. I know this sounds like nonsense, but 5% 1-year CDs or T-bills are just kicking the can down the road to a time when things will look far worse than now. The government will not reduce spending and cannot afford to pay interest on the debt at higher rates. This will invariably lead to default.
yeah , you got that correct .

kitces is an industry leader in financial planning and research and moves an entire industry on his findings .

so yeah , he is a whole lot more knowledgable then anyone here , self included.

i am not a financial genius , so yep i don’t spew my own ideas on much , but i do parrot some of them smartest people on the planet when it comes to retirement planning

Last edited by mathjak107; 08-03-2023 at 01:27 AM..

Old 08-03-2023, 03:43 AM

492 posts, read 143,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
yeah , you got that correct .

kitces is an industry leader in financial planning and research and moves an entire industry on his findings .

so yeah , he is a whole lot more knowledgable then anyone here , self included.

i am not a financial genius , so yep i don’t spew my own ideas on much , but i do parrot some of them smartest people on the planet when it comes to retirement planning
so many haters on this board, It seems like it really is just a waste of time

Old 08-03-2023, 03:46 AM

it has nothing to do with haters .

but it has everything to do with giving financial advice to people who you don’t know with one size fits all statements.

in fact facts show fixed income alone has been the most dangerous way to draw an income in retirement as well as inefficient.

and if you are suggesting timing your way to posters here i will say that is horrible advice

Old 08-03-2023, 03:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruceski44 View Post

You know nothing of me.

I know nothing of you, why the hate? Thank you very much though.

This thread is about fixed interest and Investing, not a view of yours which really means nothing, an empty soda can.

Old 08-03-2023, 03:53 AM

Quote:
it has nothing to do with haters .

but it has everything to do with giving financial advice to people who you don’t know with one size fits all statements.

in fact facts show fixed income alone has been the most dangerous way to draw an income in retirement as well as inefficient.

and if you are suggesting timing your way to posters here i will say that is horrible advice
Why do you return here, to this thread? Go start your own thread.

Your problem Mathjack is that you have the wrong view of yourself, and it shows by your hateful posts.

Old 08-03-2023, 04:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leastprime View Post
I know that you are smarter than this and you overly simplified the rationale.

I just used the money in a different fashion... I loaned it out to someone who wanted it more than I did.
And for that I don't get to use those funds for the duration of the CD. There is more to this but it could get too confusing.
ymmv
I look at money in two ways. Money you work for and money from Investing, I personaly consider Investing money as free.

It's my view. Money begets money. Its a great concept. To me it is free.

Ive had this free money now for 25 years.

Why not let the money itself do all the labour? Then go about your daily business free from any garbage, office drama.

Even this web site has nothing but drama, hateful personalities.

Old 08-03-2023, 04:04 AM

Quote:
i don’t believe for a second that this is advice coming from a pro , or even someone. with good financial sense ,as a general statement to all which is what the op threw out here .

there is no such thing as telling everyone what is best for them and anyone with financial common sense knows this
I never said I was a Pro.

You just are really a hateful old man, sorry for that, can't help you.

Old 08-03-2023, 04:08 AM

Quote:
you really need to learn more before telling people what to do .

that is just nonsense .

fixed income alone has already failed to last 65% of the 123 rolling 30 year retirements we have had to date at a mere 4% inflation adjusted .

a 50/50 or 60/40 failed just 5%

I am a long term, technical momentum trader. Using weekly, monthly charts. I am not a day trader.

Why do you think that your trading system is the only one, or the only way?

Start your own thread, I will stay away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing