Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2023, 04:36 AM

106,695 posts, read 108,880,922 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post
So, you look at your balances from the beginning of time and not from the end of each calendar year?

When the market corrected my boss was down over $1 million. I do think that did bother him until it recovered. He's the guy that maxed out the 401k directly into the S&P 500 since 1987.
i only compare balances to watch spending for the year .. i look at the portfolio returns too for how they did .

but i would never say good thing i wasn’t invested so i didn’t have to recover..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2023, 04:38 AM

7,597 posts, read 3,254,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
i only compare balances to watch spending for the year ..not returns for thevyear
That's unbelievable MJ. You analyze every aspect. I don't believe you don't care about returns.

Old 12-27-2023, 04:40 AM

In fact in one of your posts you explained how you were only down such and such percentage during the worst meltdown (I think you said 16% or something).

You're too emotional. I don't know how you stay invested.

Old 12-27-2023, 04:41 AM

Quote:
That's unbelievable MJ. You analyze every aspect. I don't believe you don't care about returns.
i look at individual portfolio returns .

but i don’t ever say , good thing i wasn’t invested so i don’t have to recover. that makes no sense since even at the lows the balances are higher then fixed income over the years .

being down 16% is volatility and is measured in dollar swings which is why one can be uncomfortable with volatility swings, i am .

so volatility swings is a very good reason to watch equity allocations .

using the reason of not having to sit thru a recovery , when your low balance with equities is higher then what fixed income gave you is poor logic

there is a difference in those two thought processes

Last edited by mathjak107; 12-27-2023 at 04:50 AM..

Old 12-27-2023, 04:42 AM

Quote:
i look at individual portfolio returns .

but i don’t ever say , good thing i wasn’t invested so i don’t have to recover

well, that's because you are never Not invested

Old 12-27-2023, 04:49 AM

If you had invested $10,000 in Amazon in 1997 it would be worth $15 million today. There's no sense crying over spilt milk. That's how the billionaires become billionaires and stay billionaires because they get invited in on the ground floor of an IPO or they are private equity and do buy outs where they get companies for pennies on the dollar.

Old 12-27-2023, 04:52 AM

Quote:
If you had invested $10,000 in Amazon in 1997 it would be worth $15 million today. There's no sense crying over spilt milk. That's how the billionaires become billionaires and stay billionaires because they get invited in on the ground floor of an IPO or they are private equity and do buy outs where they get companies for pennies on the dollar.
we generally don’t look at not buying individual stocks to not buying broad based indexes .

one is accepting market returns and what markets hand you each year with a total market fund or s&p fund .

the other is speculating on beating those market returns by finding the right stocks, in the right market at the right time in the right market sentiment for that sector .

so giving up returns offered to anyone thru a total market fund or S&p funds is very different if you are comparing what hiding in fixed income has done to one’s balance in comparison to just excepting market returns thru broad index’s or mutual funds

over time the difference in balances makes even the lows of investing far out size the balance of not .

it would be a real challenge to find a 20 to 30 year year period which is what we have on our long term money with a safe draw rate , where the lows of the market didn’t surpass the highs of fixed income .

you may have one or two periods out of 118 30 year retirement time frames to date

Old 12-27-2023, 04:58 AM

Quote:
we generally don’t look at not buying individual stocks to not buying broad based indexes .

one is accepting market returns and what markets hand you each year with a total market fund or s&p fund .

the other is speculating on beating those market returns by finding the right stocks, in the right market and the right time in the right market sentiment for that sector .

so giving up returns offered to anyone thru a total market fund or S&p funds is very different if you are comparing what hiding in fixed income has done to one’s balance in comparison to just excepting market returns thru broad index’s or mutual funds
But dallasdean said he knows the price he is paying and he is willing to pay that price for his peace of mind. That's an individual decision. You cannot say that people cannot make that choice because it's a personal decision.

Old 12-27-2023, 05:01 AM

Quote:
But dallasdean said he knows the price he is paying and he is willing to pay that price for his peace of mind. That's an individual decision. You cannot say that people cannot make that choice because it's a personal decision.
no one said otherwise .

what was called into question was the poor excuse of not having to wait for a recovery to recover losses like equity investors.

are you actually reading things or as usual commenting without reading.

no one questions the fact he doesn’t want equities . in fact he doesn’t need a reason .

but if you’re going to give one it should at least make sense and that made no sense since most equity investors who didn’t just start just have less gains and not losses .

and even with the dip are higher then they would have been if they had no equities and that’s what is being called out

Old 12-27-2023, 05:06 AM

Quote:
no one said otherwise .

what was called into question was the poor excuse of not having to wait for a recovery to recover losses like equity investors.

are you actually reading things or as usual commenting without reading.

no one questions the fact he doesn’t want equities . in fact he doesn’t need a reason .

but if you’re going to give one it should at least make sense and that made no sense since most equity investors who didn’t just start just have less gains and not losses .

and even with the dip are higher then they would have been if they had no equities and that’s what is being called out
The way I read it that was not the reason. That was an after effect of the reason he made the decision he did make. Maybe you should reread it. Your bias does not allow you to read it as it is written. The fact that he enjoyed avoiding the pain of equities is not the same as the reason he is allocated towards bonds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing