Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2023, 05:07 AM

106,708 posts, read 108,913,061 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post
But dallasdean said he knows the price he is paying and he is willing to pay that price for his peace of mind. That's an individual decision. You cannot say that people cannot make that choice because it's a personal decision.
Quote:
The way I read it that was not the reason. That was an after effect of the reason he made the decision he did make. Maybe you should reread it. Your bias does not allow you to read it as it is written.
low expections said the same thing so it isn’t my bias or interpretation, it is the financial logic used in the reason.

if you don’t see it,,well that’s on you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2023, 05:10 AM

7,602 posts, read 3,260,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
low expections said the same thing so it isn’t my bias or interpretation, it is the financial logic used in the reason.

if you don’t see it,,well that’s on you
No, you are simply saying he is wrong for wanting the peace of mind of holding bonds.

Old 12-27-2023, 05:12 AM

7,602 posts, read 3,260,039 times
It's not wrong. It's just a different decision than you have made. Owning the stock market is not mandatory.

Last edited by Wile E. Coyote; 12-27-2023 at 05:21 AM..

Old 12-27-2023, 05:53 AM

Quote:
It's not wrong. It's just a different decision than you have made. Owning the stock market is not mandatory.
again you either don’t understand we all agreed about going fixed income being fine , or you are just being intentionally difficult

Old 12-27-2023, 07:02 AM

28 posts, read 12,942 times
All my investing years, I was 100% equities.

Recently, since I'm an oldtimer, I decided to go more conservative. For about the past 18 months, we've been about 49% dividend ETFs, SOXX, and XLF; about 46% CDs, FDRXX, and I Bonds; and about 5% actual cash (checking accounts, PayPal, etc). We each are pulling in Social Security and New York State pensions so we are tremendously lucky.

Old 12-27-2023, 08:20 AM

37,624 posts, read 46,026,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
blackrock equity fund f is a proxy for an s&p 500 fund

Investment Objective & Strategy
The Fund is an "index fund" that seeks investment results that correspond generally to the price and yield performance, before fees and expenses, of a particular index (its "Underlying Index").. The criterion for selection of investments shall be the S&P 500 Index.

the blackrock 2025 is akin to a 5/50

for this purpose you can enter anything giving these allocations like

50% vti. 50% bnd for the 2025 and voo for the index f fund

for the purpose of looking at ones total allocation all that matters is the broad breakout
Thanks.

Wow that was some work to get it all entered. Not really sure if this is what you are asking but this is one of the results it shows. This does NOT include my savings account or my 100k CD I purchased last year at my credit union. It is just the funds in my retirement accounts.
Attached Thumbnails
our overall allocations-capture.jpg  

Old 12-27-2023, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Thanks.

Wow that was some work to get it all entered. Not really sure if this is what you are asking but this is one of the results it shows. This does NOT include my savings account or my 100k CD I purchased last year at my credit union. It is just the funds in my retirement accounts.
well the idea was to try to get people to give better detail when they talk about their allocations or gains ..

obviously someone saying they are 90% equities because that is what is in their retirement account yet it represents only 10% of their liquid assets isn’t the same as someone who says they are 90% equities and 10% cash and it represents all their liquid assets .

By the same token , in the first example , saying they are up 20% while 90% of their assets are getting 4% are worlds apart on the growth meter from the second case

Old 12-27-2023, 09:55 AM

373 posts, read 311,028 times
Quote:
No, you are simply saying he is wrong for wanting the peace of mind of holding bonds.
I think I got on Mathjak's bad side in another thread when he was talking about an exceptional year (2023) and I responded "I wouldn't call getting some of my losses back exceptional, but each to their own perspective". May be I shouldn't have said losses. I probably should have said getting you money back or something similar.

I'm not unfamilar with the up and downs of stocks. Experienced it for years and years. But, you are right, that now I want the peace of mind of holding bonds in retirement. Plus, I never want to have to depend on the stock market (higher risk) for my retirement income. Just me.

I've never been the type of guy that thinks that the market guarantees you will get your losses back if only you hold on long enough. I think the stock market has risk. Of course, bonds have risk too ... just lower risk. This mindset could be because I did individual stocks and not mutual funds or ETFs in most of my investment history.

By the way, when Mathjak said to you, "are you actually reading things or as usual commenting without reading." ... I think you read just fine

Last edited by dallasdean; 12-27-2023 at 10:38 AM..

Old 12-27-2023, 11:22 AM

373 posts, read 311,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADK44 View Post
All my investing years, I was 100% equities.

Recently, since I'm an oldtimer, I decided to go more conservative. For about the past 18 months, we've been about 49% dividend ETFs, SOXX, and XLF; about 46% CDs, FDRXX, and I Bonds; and about 5% actual cash (checking accounts, PayPal, etc). We each are pulling in Social Security and New York State pensions so we are tremendously lucky.
You look like your in a good position and are tremendously lucky. Although, it sounds like you make you luck!

Old 12-27-2023, 11:52 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,735 posts, read 58,090,525 times
Quote:
If you had invested $10,000 in Amazon in 1997 it would be worth $15 million today. There's no sense crying over spilt milk. ...
Or... That $10,000 investment went to a bond ladder, and today you have $12,000. And you're happy with your predictive results.

Yet, your brother bought Amazon and watched it grow to $15m, then... Woops.. it erodes to $12m. He's not happy, and it's terribly painful for him to pull out the $12,000 that you so cherish. But he will have $11,988,000 to spare. (That you won't ever have).

Allocation? No pension, not wealthy but a light spender, 19 yrs retired 30 more yrs to fund. ~5yrs cash reserves, 80% equities. Withdrew ~10% of my net growth this year due to new roof, appliances, more toys. I don't consider my growth as gains (until realized).

This is a good payday year.
They are not all this abundant, but I don't intend to starve, or die broke.

It all goes to charity (including the houses I've built)
I feel it will be spent on the special needs of others.
Beats sitting at the adding machine like Scrooge McDuck monitoring every cent, and fretting about each delayed direct deposit pension check. (I'll never get one)

I never knew what my paycheck would be, so I'm continuing that theme in retirement.

Anything I get is a bonus, and I'm grateful. (But maybe not so wise)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing