Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2023, 07:20 AM

26,194 posts, read 21,611,159 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
any reason at this stage you went with a wellesly wellington combo? that is usually a popular pre retirement- retirement combo rather then growth stage . the two together are about a 50/50
The outsized cash holdings and vanguard combo are at my wife’s direction. I tried for a good while early on to move the allocation but there’s a comfort level for her she wasn’t willing to budge on so I let it go, much better for the marriage and combined earnings growth
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2023, 07:24 AM

106,759 posts, read 108,973,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
The outsized cash holdings and vanguard combo are at my wife’s direction. I tried for a good while early on to move the allocation but there’s a comfort level for her she wasn’t willing to budge on so I let it go, much better for the marriage and combined earnings growth
Ha ha. Yes the wife factor

I think if my wife had her way we would be a good chunk annuities

It is good she takes an interest

Old 12-23-2023, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FREE866 View Post
Problem I see with funds is every single year I get hit with capital gains tax in addition to higher ongoing fees.

I've really become immune to volatility...I really have.....sure from an optics standpoint it stinks, but markets recover and my withdraw rate is low.

Coming up on 7 years retired with my approach and even taking in account of withdrawing money my portfolio is up 65% in total. I'm elated. And the last 7 years have been anything but a smooth ride in the stock market!
July will be 9 years for us and we are still higher then the day we retired

Some of the yearly swings for us have been multiple 6 figures with one single day hitting if I remember 90k

Old 12-23-2023, 08:05 AM

2,009 posts, read 1,215,794 times
Quote:
July will be 9 years for us and we are still higher then the day we retired

Some of the yearly swings for us have been multiple 6 figures with one single day hitting if I remember 90k

Ha...the boat can definitely be rocky! Mentally just surrendering and accepting to that being part of the process is key.

Old 12-23-2023, 09:28 AM

4,858 posts, read 456,072 times
retired since 2013, wife works.

52 domestic stocks.
8 foreign.
33 bonds.
3 cash.
2 other.

Combo of funds and single stocks. All single-stocks are dividend payers, offering at least a 3% yield. Some, much more. Single-stocks are in the taxable brokerage account. The taxable sleeve is still just less than 14% of total.

It has paid nicely, to be patient over the last two years.
Biggest sector holdings:

Financials. 17.81% of total.
Energy. 17.05%
Healthcare. 14.6%
Tech. 14.42%
Utilities
=7%, quite a bit more than the SP500, at 2.68% (per Morningstar.)

I tried ETFs for a brief period. Too volatile for me. No ETFs now.
Still growing, investing for heirs.

Last edited by sitonmywhat; 12-23-2023 at 10:12 AM..

Old 12-23-2023, 09:56 AM

personally i don’t care whether a dividend or not , if not i create my own .

gains only come from appreciation, how we draw it out is another story …

i prefer as little dividends as i can in my taxable count since they have a poor tax treatment compared to me just taking the same draw from appreciation .

but that is a different topic

Old 12-23-2023, 10:02 AM

4,858 posts, read 456,072 times
Quote:
personally i don’t care whether a dividend or not , if not i create my own .

gains only come from appreciation, how we draw it out is another story …

i prefer as little dividends as i can in my taxable count since they have a poor tax treatment compared to me just taking the same draw from appreciation .

but that is a different topic
Makes sense.
Taxes are not an issue for us. I like the simplicity of knowing the divvies will show up on X day, on a schedule.

Old 12-23-2023, 10:05 AM

26,194 posts, read 21,611,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sitonmywhat View Post
retired since 2013, wife works.

52 domestic stocks.
8 foreign.
33 bonds.
3 cash.
2 other.

Combo of funds and single stocks. All single-stocks are dividend payers, offering at least a 3% yield. Some, much more. Single-stocks are in the taxable brokerage account. The taxable sleeve is still just less than 14% of total.

It has paid nicely, to be patient over the last two years.
Biggest sector holdings:

Financials.
Energy.
Healthcare.
Tech.
Utilities
=7%, quite a bit more than the SP500, at 2.68% (per Morningstar.)

I tried ETFs for a brief period. Too volatile for me. No ETFs now.
Still growing, investing for heirs.

I’m not sure if this was mathjak’s point originally but without dollars or percentages the bolded breakdown is meaningless really

Old 12-23-2023, 10:09 AM

we fund our spending for the year once a year now….we make any portfolio changes and raise the cash we are short for the upcoming year .

all dividends and interest on bond funds get reinvested in the retirement accounts while in the taxable accounts we let them accumulate starting to fill that second years income .

so until we refill at years end we don’t care when , if or how any interest or dividends come in .

we found it way to difficult to try to eat hand to mouth with using the current years dividends and interest since bills don’t flow to match .

we found it much easier to just go buffer them and then at years end just fill the gap between what we got and what we need for the new year

Last edited by mathjak107; 12-23-2023 at 10:19 AM..

Old 12-23-2023, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
I’m not sure if this was mathjak’s point originally but without dollars or percentages the bolded breakdown is meaningless really
looking at percentage of total LIQUID assets the different holdings represent

like my equities are 51% of total liquid assets including cash.

i am assuming that what they posted is percentages
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing