Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2024, 06:30 PM

8,063 posts, read 12,779,194 times

Advertisements

I sort of enjoyed reconnecting with old friends on Facebook ten years or so ago. Now my Facebook page is making me reconsider using it. I have also noticed some of my friends closing their accounts.

They seem to be clueless about suggesting posts. I would guess they are less than 50% correct on my interests. Today I decided that it would be best to stop using Facebook.

I get posts from restaurants two States away that I would never visit. I get highway department, police department, and fire departments way out of my area and I have no connection to any of these public services. I get posts about cars and motorcycles and I am not a car/motorcycle guy. I get so many B.S. advertisements for things I would NEVER consider buying.

This is a perfect case study on how to turn off customers. They even added "suggested posts" to the "news feed" which is supposed to be from people you follow.

I believe Facebook is going to go the way of "MySpace".

Last edited by Wartrace; 02-01-2024 at 06:56 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2024, 07:04 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,587,222 times
Good call, not like it’s not up 15% plus after hours

Old 02-01-2024, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
Good call, not like it’s not up 15% plus after hours
Yes indeed. I trade earnings regularly and often there is a knee-jerk reaction to good news. Since they are going to start paying dividends people are bidding it up. My post is about how they will likely lose over the long run by turning off users by wasting people's time with "suggested posts" and increased advertising.

Suggested posts shouldn't even be a thing but how on earth are they determining what to suggest? People are going to get tired of scrolling through post after post for which they hold no interest.

Advertisements. Over 25% of the posts in my feed are advertisements. Eventually, people will get sick of it.

So they had a good earnings report. I am suggesting that in the long run, fewer and fewer people will tolerate having ads and "suggested posts" shoved down their throats. They will reduce or terminate the usage of Facebook.

I would never "invest" in Meta. In the near term there is probably some juice in the stock; long term it is MySpace 2.0

Old 02-02-2024, 02:35 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,265,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
I sort of enjoyed reconnecting with old friends on Facebook ten years or so ago. Now my Facebook page is making me reconsider using it. I have also noticed some of my friends closing their accounts.

They seem to be clueless about suggesting posts. I would guess they are less than 50% correct on my interests. Today I decided that it would be best to stop using Facebook.

I get posts from restaurants two States away that I would never visit. I get highway department, police department, and fire departments way out of my area and I have no connection to any of these public services. I get posts about cars and motorcycles and I am not a car/motorcycle guy. I get so many B.S. advertisements for things I would NEVER consider buying.

This is a perfect case study on how to turn off customers. They even added "suggested posts" to the "news feed" which is supposed to be from people you follow.

I believe Facebook is going to go the way of "MySpace".
This call ranks up there with Heart84's 'deflationary bust', and my own call to short the market in 2022, as kinda wrong... Facebook is killing it. And I say this as someone who has never used their website!

NasdaqGS - Nasdaq Real Time Price
Meta Platforms, Inc. (META)

Follow
+4.64
(+1.19%)
At close: February 1 at 4:00 PM EST
+65.39
(+16.56%)

Old 02-02-2024, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
This call ranks up there with Heart84's 'deflationary bust', and my own call to short the market in 2022, as kinda wrong... Facebook is killing it. And I say this as someone who has never used their website!

NasdaqGS - Nasdaq Real Time Price
Meta Platforms, Inc. (META)

Follow
+4.64
(+1.19%)
At close: February 1 at 4:00 PM EST
+65.39
(+16.56%)
Yes, Facebook is killing it now. If you were a user of their website you would better understand my point of view. They are in the advertising business so users should expect it however they seem to be oversaturating users with ads. Not only that but the ads they push to me are usually irrelevant. The thing that is sparking my unfavorable opinion is the "suggested posts". I don't know how they determine what to suggest but it isn't working. I am not interested in 90% of the posts they "suggest". It is irritating to have to scroll through 10 "suggestions" just to see one of my friend's posts.

I am not very confident about Meta's long-term prospects. How long will people be willing to suffer advertising to see the latest meme? How long until people realize they are wasting their time? The only reason most people use it is to keep in touch with people; there will be a competitor popping up someday.

I am not suggesting anyone sell it. I am not suggesting you should buy puts. What I'm suggesting is if they continue to turn off users they will eventually end up as MySpace 2.0

Old 02-02-2024, 06:30 AM

9,394 posts, read 8,363,704 times
To compare MySpace to Facebook is like comparing a little league flag football player to an NFL player. At its height MySpace had slightly over 100 million users. Today, Facebook has THREE BILLION monthly users and TWO BILLION active daily users. They're not only not in the same league, they're not in the same stratosphere.

FYI - your Facebook feed, much like most any social media sites, has an AI-powered algorithm that will show you more things that you interact with. If you're not interacting with anyone or anything or not searching for certain things online, you'll get random posts in your feed.

Not only are you wrong about the users, but you're also wrong about the ads. ROI on ads on Facebook for businesses is anywhere from 2-1 to 5-1, meaning for every $1 you spend you'll see an increase of $2 to $5 in revenue as an average. That's the driving engine to this company and it's stock outlook.

Are there more ads? Well of course, that's completely common in any media space. That's not unique to Facebook (scroll through Instagram or NextDoor as two small examples).

Old 02-02-2024, 06:55 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,265,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
To compare MySpace to Facebook is like comparing a little league flag football player to an NFL player. At its height MySpace had slightly over 100 million users. Today, Facebook has THREE BILLION monthly users and TWO BILLION active daily users. They're not only not in the same league, they're not in the same stratosphere.

FYI - your Facebook feed, much like most any social media sites, has an AI-powered algorithm that will show you more things that you interact with. If you're not interacting with anyone or anything or not searching for certain things online, you'll get random posts in your feed.

Not only are you wrong about the users, but you're also wrong about the ads. ROI on ads on Facebook for businesses is anywhere from 2-1 to 5-1, meaning for every $1 you spend you'll see an increase of $2 to $5 in revenue as an average. That's the driving engine to this company and it's stock outlook.

Are there more ads? Well of course, that's completely common in any media space. That's not unique to Facebook (scroll through Instagram or NextDoor as two small examples).
I agree 100%. I'm a twitter guy, it suits my needs much better than facebook, but 3 billion monthly users is huge. Facebook isn't going anywhere.

Old 02-02-2024, 07:18 AM

Well, I am certainly not going to dig a deeper hole defending my post...... You guys are most likely correct in that Meta/Facebook is going to be around for a while. I am just at a loss as to why they operate like they do. I don't need my feed to be full all the time. The ads I can handle; the "suggested posts" just turn me off.

Old 02-02-2024, 07:58 AM

9,394 posts, read 8,363,704 times
Quote:
Well, I am certainly not going to dig a deeper hole defending my post...... You guys are most likely correct in that Meta/Facebook is going to be around for a while. I am just at a loss as to why they operate like they do. I don't need my feed to be full all the time. The ads I can handle; the "suggested posts" just turn me off.
I'm no Zuckerberg fan; however, I will say his business model and the way he grew Facebook was downright brilliant. No ads at all for those first few years and he drew in millions of users. Slowly increased advertising into the feeds and once these companies who advertised with them starting seeing huge upticks in revenues and website clicks, Facebook became the monster it is today.

If I was a small business owner I'd definitely look to advertise on Facebook. It's like investing in a new bathroom or kitchen at your house, it might be money spent for a while until you go to sell the house, then you reap the rewards.

Old 02-02-2024, 08:17 AM

37,612 posts, read 45,996,704 times
Quote:
They turn me off too, as well as the incessant stupid reels which have no way to be turned off. I have been a FB user for many years but only have my family and friends on there, with a private profile. I do like it to keep in touch with everyone (I have a large family that is very spread out) but the ads are just ridiculous now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing