Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2008, 07:29 PM

458 posts, read 778,799 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheri257 View Post
Ok ... since you guys are so smart ...

I assume you believe the market is going to continue to go down to even new lows since you're all so doom and gloom.

So ... How much?

I wonder if anybody has the guts to make those predictions.

You just have to follow the trend. "The trend is your friend".

Look at a chart for the past few months. Take the low in October, the rally around the election of 9600 and look at what it has done since then. It has made lower "highs" and lower "lows". The trend is down. You don't need to have guts or predict anything. Until the market breaks out of the trend it is still going down. If it rally's and closes above 9625 we will probably have seen the bottom. Since that has not happened and we are trending lower I see 7000 as the next target.

Old 12-01-2008, 07:47 PM

3,306 posts, read 4,166,608 times
Like HappyTexan I'm really not interested in making a predictions on where the equity markets are going to go. Too many changes are happening to reliably make a prediction. My guess about the equities markets is that they return to prices that bring the markets P/E ratios back in line with more historic norms. That would mean a good sized decline from today's prices.

Anyhow, I have next to nothing in the equity markets. That isn't going to change anytime soon.

Old 12-02-2008, 03:27 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,986,452 times
Still nibbling...some FCX, BAC and GRA today. MMM and X on the watchlist. I think things will go down a little further with some tax loss selling this month, but you never know.

Old 12-02-2008, 03:29 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,986,452 times
Rig is becoming very attractive again. Although many companies may rebid contracts as demand is down temporarily. I dont see oil going much south of $40.

Old 12-02-2008, 08:30 PM

5,658 posts, read 6,293,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winkelman View Post
Since that has not happened and we are trending lower I see 7000 as the next target.
I'm not agreeing or disagreeing, but if this is your prediction, are you shorting the market? Because if you have a strong conviction that this will happen, you might want to put some money on it. You don't even need options or margin, you just need to purchase a bearish mutual fund or an inverse ETF. I'm just saying -- there are many ways to make out big time if you correctly predict the direction of the market.

Old 12-03-2008, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepenthe View Post
I'm not agreeing or disagreeing, but if this is your prediction, are you shorting the market? Because if you have a strong conviction that this will happen, you might want to put some money on it. You don't even need options or margin, you just need to purchase a bearish mutual fund or an inverse ETF. I'm just saying -- there are many ways to make out big time if you correctly predict the direction of the market.
I am holding SPY put options. And, I have been doing quite well on every dip.

Old 12-03-2008, 06:07 PM

5,658 posts, read 6,293,107 times
Quote:
I am holding SPY put options. And, I have been doing quite well on every dip.
Understood, good to see at least one prognosticator investing based on the strength of his conviction.

Old 12-04-2008, 09:37 AM

1,831 posts, read 5,301,222 times
Quote:
Since that has not happened and we are trending lower I see 7000 as the next target.
Nah ... the market is stabilizing even more, IMO. Just look at the past few days.

Mortgage applications are way up (which means I'm right about housing too ) ...

CEO's are starting to call a bottom within the next six months and the market is always about what's going to happen in the next six months.

Even with the market tanking on the "official" news of a recession since December, 2007 ... it's actually good news because that means we've already been in a recession for a year so.

The average recession is 16 months so even if this one is longer, that means the worst is over.

Yeah ... the unemployment numbers will tank but the unemployment numbers are always the last to tank and, also, the last to recover several months after a recesion is over.

Old 12-04-2008, 01:07 PM

2,197 posts, read 7,405,155 times
I think we'll see a lower low. In fact, I'm betting on it.

It's hard to be sure of anything in this market, though. Ongoing government intervention is whipsawing sentiment and causing unprecedented volatility. Good for trading; frustrating for longs.

The market may or may not bottom in six months, but as long as the trend is down, I'm not fighting the tape.

Old 12-04-2008, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Nah ... the market is stabilizing even more, IMO. Just look at the past few days.
It is flirting with 8,000 again. Still in the same downtrend. Why buck the trend?

Quote:
Mortgage applications are way up (which means I'm right about housing too ) ...
Sheri,

Come on. The index of Weekly Mortgage Applications you are quoting includes Refi's. The Refi's surged because rates went down. Refinance volume increased from 49% of the loans to 69% of all loans.

It also surged in January, and the index was higher in January:

US Weekly Mortgage Applications - Real Estate * US * News * Story - CNBC.com

Was January 08 a great time to buy? Nope

Quote:
CEO's are starting to call a bottom within the next six months and the market is always about what's going to happen in the next six months.
You are right, here is what they are saying:

Lowe's CEO: Housing market near or at bottom - MarketWatch

Wait that was May 2007. Sorry. Here is one:

Analysis: Some investors call stock market̢۪s bottom

No, that was March 2008. How about this one:

National CEO Calls the Market Bottom

That was June 2008. The market was at 12,000. I guess that seemed low at the time.

A lot of CEO's and professionals have been dead wrong calling the market bottom. Here is one who called the real estate bottom in May of 2007. Real Estate did look bad in May 2007, how could it go much lower? But it did. Many markets have lost over 40% since that bold prediction:

Housing Market Nears Bottom - Forbes.com (http://www.forbes.com/markets/2007/05/25/housing-existing-sales-markets-equity-cx_er_0525markets06.html - broken link)

Quote:
Even with the market tanking on the "official" news of a recession since December, 2007 ... it's actually good news because that means we've already been in a recession for a year so.

The average recession is 16 months so even if this one is longer, that means the worst is over.
We have the biggest infusing of money to prop up the economy since the great depression, maybe even bigger than the great depression. This is a whole different animal, only compatible in scope to the great depression. Why compare it to much tamer recessions which took much less government interference? So the great depression lasted about 10 years. Lets say our slowdown only lasts 5 years. We still have 4 more years of this. And it is all semantics, a depression is a recession where the GDP contracts at least 10%. Before the great depression, all recessions were called depressions.

Quote:
Yeah ... the unemployment numbers will tank but the unemployment numbers are always the last to tank and, also, the last to recover several months after a recesion is over.
I will agree with you here. My feeling is you are getting creamed in the market right now and you are somehow looking for the silver lining. You could have kept in the bank and at least be ahead of the game. Me, I am enjoying the ride down. I don't want anyone to suffer with the economy, but I am going to ride the downtrend in the Stock Market. I bought more puts this morning and sold about 1/2 near the close.

Last edited by Winkelman; 12-04-2008 at 05:50 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing