Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2008, 09:19 AM

3,306 posts, read 4,157,964 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheri257 View Post
Yeah. I think sky high gas prices played a key role in getting us into recession and making the recession a lot worse. Now that prices are cheap, it's basically the same as a huge stimulus package.
Yeah it was the gas prices, not the fact that Americans were extracting around 600 billion a year from the home ATM. The housing bubble started to collapse before oil prices got ridiculous. The spike in oil prices was caused essentially by hot money flows. It was a symptom of what was going on, not a cause.

And its not the same as a "huge stimulus" package. Oil prices aren't that much lower than they were in 2006~2007 and are no more than they were in 2005. If oil prices were 140+/barrel for years then it would create a modest sized stimulus, but that wasn't the case. Oil prices were ridiculous for around 6 months or so.

Really, out of all the things that are going on you peak a 6 month spike in oil as one of the major causes of the recession even though...ahem the recession started before prices started to spike dramatically?

Old 12-15-2008, 07:42 AM

1,831 posts, read 5,295,344 times
The bottom line is that the market is still holding steady in the mid 8000's ... even with plenty of bad news. It looked like last Friday might have been a bad day but, then it wasn't.

So far .... all of the predictions of more huge drops into the 7000's and below just aren't happening.

Old 12-15-2008, 09:58 AM

523 posts, read 1,418,002 times
Quote:
The bottom line is that the market is still holding steady in the mid 8000's ... even with plenty of bad news. It looked like last Friday might have been a bad day but, then it wasn't.

So far .... all of the predictions of more huge drops into the 7000's and below just aren't happening.
Wow you really are a "believer" in the system. You really think we've hit bottom in the DOW?

After today, we'll probably have interest rates at 0.5% and before long at 0% and things keep getting worse. I still think people are in denial about just how early in this game we are. 10% unemployment and GDP reduction of 10% or more is in the bag for 2009, IMO.

Old 12-15-2008, 10:01 AM

The DOW has been zig-zagging around ~8700 for only a few weeks, this doesn't tell you anything really. The same thing happened in mid October.

The fact that the market isn't going up with all the happy talk about a "bottom" (which is all over the place), is telling though.

Old 12-15-2008, 10:48 AM

3,454 posts, read 7,413,285 times
I can't help but feel like somehow "they're" keeping the market steady to prevent panic...whether it's just until after the holidays, or just until Bush is out of office so he won't be associated with it?

I have no rational justification for feeling this way; it's just I guess because nothing is making sense with the market's movements.

Old 12-15-2008, 11:23 AM

1,831 posts, read 5,295,344 times
Or it's just the simple fact that the DOW has already been heavily discounted ... much more than previous recessions ... and pretty much everybody who's going to sell has already sold.

Hence, the bottom.

The only way it's going to go down much more is with a full blown depression and that's just not gonna happen.

Old 12-15-2008, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Or it's just the simple fact that the DOW has already been heavily discounted ... much more than previous recessions ... and pretty much everybody who's going to sell has already sold.
And you know that everybody who's going to sell has already sold because?

Your comments are sorta funny, you seem to really believe you have the ability to know whats going on in the markets.

Old 12-15-2008, 11:35 AM

3,454 posts, read 7,413,285 times
Sheri, it's nice that you're so optimistic, but blind optimism isn't always a good thing...caution is a good thing in times like these.

We're in unprecedented times; while it's sometimes hard to think the future might not be rosy, it's much better to prepare for the worst and hope for the best. It seems like you might have a lot riding on the hope that the economy is on an upswing, as do many people. I just hope you're willing to open your eyes to the possibility that things might not swing up for a long time--and make plans for what you'd do if that's the case.

JMO, of course...

Old 12-15-2008, 12:13 PM

2,197 posts, read 7,395,762 times
A lot of retail investors have been shaken out, but these are small fish. The big fish are the funds, who're trying to optimize exit strategies. Many hedge funds will go out of business, because their business model has become obsolete. The easy money's gone, and foreigners and fiscally lax pension funds are no longer buying unquantifiable bundled assets. As hedge funds choose, or are forced, to liquidate, they will put downward pressure on the markets.

We will reach the bottom when all the Big Boys who want out are out. There are about a thousand hedge funds whose business model no longer works. When I do the math, I don't see a risk-return ratio that I consider attractive. Yet. Others might, but not me.

Old 12-15-2008, 03:18 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,178,892 times
I'm certainly not going to borrow money or sell something else to buy stocks. But I am maxing out the 401K (75% stocks) and dollar-cost averaging. I feel fairly confident in doing this (only about 20% of my net worth is in stocks).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing