Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2008, 05:44 PM

3,306 posts, read 4,165,676 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheri257 View Post
CEO's are starting to call a bottom within the next six months and the market is always about what's going to happen in the next six months.
Its hard to take you seriously when you say something like this....CEO's are calling the bottom!! Are Realtors calling a bottom in real estate too? Why yes!

I can breath easy now...

Old 12-04-2008, 05:53 PM

458 posts, read 778,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humanoid View Post
Its hard to take you seriously when you say something like this....CEO's are calling the bottom!! Are Realtors calling a bottom in real estate too? Why yes!

I can breath easy now...
Maybe this is some sort of "happy trolling" and she is just playing everyone.

Old 12-05-2008, 08:04 AM

1,831 posts, read 5,300,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winkelman View Post
We have the biggest infusing of money to prop up the economy since the great depression, maybe even bigger than the great depression. This is a whole different animal, only compatible in scope to the great depression. Why compare it to much tamer recessions which took much less government interference? So the great depression lasted about 10 years. Lets say our slowdown only lasts 5 years. We still have 4 more years of this. And it is all semantics, a depression is a recession where the GDP contracts at least 10%. Before the great depression, all recessions were called depressions.

My feeling is you are getting creamed in the market right now and you are somehow looking for the silver lining. You could have kept in the bank and at least be ahead of the game. Me, I am enjoying the ride down. I don't want anyone to suffer with the economy, but I am going to ride the downtrend in the Stock Market. I bought more puts this morning and sold about 1/2 near the close.
Nah ... I'm not getting creamed. I've been buying on the dips to lower my basis. I'm a long term investor so ... I'm buying as much as I can right now.

As for recession versus depression, technically we haven't even had two quarters of negative GDP yet so ... I think a 10 percent contraction as well as a five year slow down is a little far fetched.

Obviously you and I disagree so, we'll see who's right come spring.

Old 12-05-2008, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Maybe this is some sort of "happy trolling" and she is just playing everyone.
If you think I'm a troll then why don't you quit responding to my posts?

Ridiculous.

Old 12-05-2008, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Nah ... I'm not getting creamed. I've been buying on the dips to lower my basis. I'm a long term investor so ... I'm buying as much as I can right now.

As for recession versus depression, technically we haven't even had two quarters of negative GDP yet so ... I think a 10 percent contraction as well as a five year slow down is a little far fetched.

Obviously you and I disagree so, we'll see who's right come spring.
So technically we are not in a recession, yet.

Old 12-05-2008, 01:10 PM

Quote:
If you think I'm a troll then why don't you quit responding to my posts?

Ridiculous.

Just can resist, get a kick out of some of your lines. The CEO comment is just truly amazing. I just don't think anyone could say that and be serious, hence the happy troll comment. Apparently you are quite serious.

It would be like someone before an election saying "I think the democrats are going to do well in the next election, even the democratic leadership is confident that the democrats will do well".

You understand CEO's have to look at the cup 1/2 full. Their job, career, bonuses, etc are dependent on it. Anything they can say to put a positive spin on the market is what they have to do to. I put in those links to point out how worthless those comments can be.

Old 12-05-2008, 02:54 PM

Quote:
You stated that you moved all of your cash into stocks in November. You couldn't have bought that much more from now and the beginning of November...

Anyhow, there is more than one way you can get "creamed". If stocks slowly decline in over the years you get hurt just as much. This going in for the "long haul" stuff is based on the last 20~30 years of market behavior, but that just happened to be the baby boomers started to start saving for retirement.... What do you imagine is going to happen when they start to cash out?

The fact is that the baby boomers have more entitlements than the economy can actually support. There is really only one way this is going to end, namely with a reduction in their entitlements. That means a reduction in the value of real estate, stocks, etc over the years.

Old 12-05-2008, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humanoid View Post
You stated that you moved all of your cash into stocks in November. You couldn't have bought that much more from now and the beginning of November...

Anyhow, there is more than one way you can get "creamed". If stocks slowly decline in over the years you get hurt just as much. This going in for the "long haul" stuff is based on the last 20~30 years of market behavior, but that just happened to be the baby boomers started to start saving for retirement.... What do you imagine is going to happen when they start to cash out?

The fact is that the baby boomers have more entitlements than the economy can actually support. There is really only one way this is going to end, namely with a reduction in their entitlements. That means a reduction in the value of real estate, stocks, etc over the years.
You can look at it from so many different angles that there is trouble ahead. Some think that all these bailouts and expenditures will cause a huge increase in inflation, which would cause the fed to raise interest rates, raising mortgage rates and the cost to finance a home, lowering prices. It would also hurt stocks because bank interest would be competitive.

All these entitlements are another issue. But the CEO's are calling the bottom so I guess everything will be fine

Old 12-05-2008, 04:22 PM

Quote:
You understand CEO's have to look at the cup 1/2 full. Their job, career, bonuses, etc are dependent on it. Anything they can say to put a positive spin on the market is what they have to do to. I put in those links to point out how worthless those comments can be.
Yeah, I see your point. I was referring to comments like that from the CEO of BofA, who was actually quite gloomy but also foresees a turnaround in mid 2009.

As for my ability to buy more stocks Humanoid, of course, doesn't think I make any money to begin with so ... I guess there's no point arguing with him about it. Nevertheless ... I've been putting all of my extra cash from overtime into stocks and I've also been using my lines of credit for stock purchases.

That's how much I believe this is the bottom.

Old 12-05-2008, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Nevertheless ... I've been putting all of my extra cash from overtime into stocks and I've also been using my lines of credit for stock purchases.\
Wow, just wow.

Quote:
That's how much I believe this is the bottom.
Its amazing you believe so strongly in something you have so little reason to believe. Its not like you have a good record either, you were completely wrong about real estate last year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing