Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2008, 01:04 AM

3,306 posts, read 4,167,885 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepenthe View Post
You don't make any money with dividends unless the stock price increases.
If the stock price stagnates for 20 years, yet it pays a 4% dividend I reckon you're making.......4% a year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepenthe View Post
Oh, "good" scientists. Like those who studied mathematics and theoretical computer science. Got it.
Well, it would help perhaps if Mathematics and computer science were actually sciences. Good scientists, as in those that actually understand science and how to do research within the framework of science. Not those that merely have a degree in the subject or know some supposed "facts".

Looking at how many of people with degree X get a job in X isn't very telling in any field as the majority of people with degree X are likely to be monkeys disguised as people.

Old 12-23-2008, 01:49 AM

14 posts, read 46,753 times
Keep well away from stocks. If you want to know the future of the US economy research Japans lost decade.

Old 12-23-2008, 08:24 AM

1,831 posts, read 5,301,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winkelman View Post
There you go again!

The market opened on November 5th at 9,616.60, you made your buy signal before the market opened that day, at 7:30 am Central Time.

You said earlier today:

Starting to buy at 9K

Now you say you bought at 8,700. Whatever make you feel better, since you are always right! I get my fill in seconds, yours takes 24 hours?
I have more than one account. In fact, I have three retirement accounts and two regular stock accounts. I didn't get around to making the calls till later that day and the Dow does flucutate during the day so I was inevitably buying at different price levels. Not sure why the retirement accounts take 24 hours but they do especially when you call late in the day so ... I guess I'll have to ask the administrator on that one.

Obviously I'm not always right ... I've already acknowledged that I started to buy too early. But ... I've obviously been more right on this than you have. The Dow is still bouncing between 8-9K so at least I was right there.

No matter how much you want to rewrite your prediction and change the context, 5K for the Dow was and is beyond ridiculous in any time frame except 1996.

Last edited by sheri257; 12-23-2008 at 09:31 AM..

Old 12-23-2008, 09:45 AM

458 posts, read 779,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheri257 View Post
I have more than one account. In fact, I have three retirement accounts and two regular stock accounts. I didn't get around to making the calls till later that day and the Dow does flucutate during the day so I was inevitably buying at different price levels. Not sure why the retirement accounts take 24 hours but they do especially when you call late in the day so ... I guess I'll have to ask the administrator on that one.

Obviously I'm not always right ... I've already acknowledged I started to buy too early. But ... I've obviously been more right on this than you have. The Dow is still bouncing between 8-9K so at least I was right there.

No matter how much you want to rewrite your prediction and change the context, 5K for the Dow was and is beyond ridiculous in any time frame except 1996.

Sheri, Sheri, Sheri...

You proclaimed very early in the morning of November 5th "I'm taking the plunge back into the market today" and "
I think this is the bottom" and a couple days later "once the good news starts to come in, the bottom is long gone". You actually got in on the three month highs for the market. The market had rallied almost two thousand points from its lows. Was poised to break 10,000, Obama was a day away from being elected. You believed the crash was over, that if you did not buy that day that you would miss out on this new Bull Market. Yet you want everyone to believe you took your time, did not contact your broker until the end of the day, did not get in until the end of the following day.

Your statement about being in a 8K to 9K trading range and the market will break 10,000 in six months did not happen until two weeks after you got in the market. No way you believed that on November 5th, or why would you have bought in at the top of that range?

And you have the nerve to accuse me changing predictions?

You have made a lot of silly statements here, to paraphrase: "The Dow was never at 9,600 on November 5th". "It is obvious to anyone that the market crashed in October, it did much better in November", "Even the CEO's are getting bullish". I am really not surprised you are getting slammed in this market.

And once again, stop making misleading statements. Even after others here have called you out on it. It was very clear what I said, and just because you alone did not understand it does not make it incorrect. My 5K prediction stands. Unlike your predictions, it has not changed. You really lose what little credibility you have here by trying to twist my words in a way I never said them.

You made a bad trade, just admit it instead of trying to justify it and deflect on others. You would gain a lot of respect here by admitting the obvious that you were wrong.

Old 12-23-2008, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Your statement about being in a 8K to 9K trading range and the market will break 10,000 in six months did not happen until two weeks after you got in the market. No way you believed that on November 5th, or why would you have bought in at the top of that range?

My 5K prediction stands.
Ok ... so even by this measure, I've been wrong two weeks out of the last seven. But at least I was right for five out of the last seven weeks.

You haven't been right for even one day out of the last seven weeks. No matter how you slice it ... 5K is a joke.

You can't make a prediction and several weeks later add ... "Oh by the way ... I actually meant next year." It's totally lame.

Yeah, for the hundreth time ... I bought too early. At least I've acknowledged my mistakes.

How about acknowledging yours? I doubt you have the guts ...

Old 12-23-2008, 11:28 AM

3,306 posts, read 4,167,885 times
Still arguing about what.....Winkelman meant.... His statements were ambiguous, no time frame was explicitly given. Even when I explicitly stated that my predictions were long term you called it "foolish" because it hadn't occurred yet. You just want to twist things.....its trite.

Why not wait to see what happens with his more concrete prediction, the DOW in the 5,000 range by mid 2009?

Old 12-23-2008, 11:29 AM

61,286 posts, read 87,609,157 times
isnt that kinda like the conversations i hear on the bus on the way to the del mar track?

Old 12-23-2008, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humanoid View Post
Still arguing about what.....Winkelman meant.... His statements were ambiguous, no time frame was explicitly given. Even when I explicitly stated that my predictions were long term you called it "foolish" because it hadn't occurred yet. You just want to twist things.....its trite.

Why not wait to see what happens with his more concrete prediction, the DOW in the 5,000 range by mid 2009?
She is just in the world of denial. I am not the one who started two different posts claiming we hit bottom and now was the time to buy. I simply stated that if we broke the October lows there are no real support levels until we hit 5,000. Nothing since then has changed my opinion. We have not been able to rally back to the early November highs. We are in a tighter and tighter trading range that I believe will break to the downside and eventually reach 5,000.

I did not start a new thread, screaming from the hilltops that I am putting all my money into shorting the market, because the market will be falling to 5,000 any day now.

I also feel no one knows for sure where the market will be in 6 months. It is foolish to put all your eggs in one basket. I believe the preponderance of information out there points to a lower market. But the government is throwing everything they can to move things up in the short term. Again, I believe you got to be careful, because anything can happen.

Yet Sheri is certain that the market is going up, it will never go back to 5,000 and the country will not fall into a depression. 100% certain. She must have a pretty good crystal ball to be so sure of herself.

OK, well maybe not such a good crystal ball. She is losing a lot of money and can't be too sure of herself. Why does she keep coming on here to defend ones self and try to make others look bad. Again, who started this and the other post? If she can't take the heat why start this in the first place.

Anyways, done defending myself. Time will tell.

Last edited by Winkelman; 12-23-2008 at 01:26 PM..

Old 12-23-2008, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheri257 View Post
Ok ... so even by this measure, I've been wrong two weeks out of the last seven. But at least I was right for five out of the last seven weeks.

Huh? So the two weeks you made wrong predictions you were wrong. The five weeks where did not predict anything you were right? Bottom line is you are losing in your trades. A loss is a loss.

You missed your calling. You should have been working for Bush-Cheney during the first few years of the Iraq War. I bet you would have come up with a better reason why there were no WMD's. Turning lemons into lemonade!

You are priceless...

Old 12-23-2008, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Anyways, done defending myself.
One can only hope.

Quote:
You are priceless...
And you are gutless.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing