Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2009, 10:44 AM

436 posts, read 1,175,228 times

Advertisements

Now the government is waking up and wants to control speculation in the market, especially the commodity sector. Some one tell me how and where will they start. Lets take oil, where we have seen speculation inflating prices as high as 60%, a vast amount of oil future contracts is traded in otc markets, which the cftc do not regulate or account for, and most in ice terminals from europe to usa in which case they can control what is happening in usa only, but not other parts of the world. Secondly how do you know a trade is from a speculator or is for gains through price movements or not. A trade is a trade.... we do not know the motive of a trade. I totally agree that excessive speculation, especially in commodity, is a major problem, but I am struggling to see how can this be sorted out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2009, 12:01 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,520,376 times
Tim:

Me thinks that the money that POURED INTO the campaign coffers of the winner from Wall Street will result in NO SUBSTANTIAL changes to commodity speculation. However the lack of transparency that is key to "dark trading" will have to happen without backing (as in the "too big to fail") of Uncle Sam.

This means that if Goldman Sachs wants to keeping running its non-public exchanges and the other banks want to participate they are going to have to have a "we'll fix the next screw up our selves" plan or the US DOJ will shut em down...

Old 07-10-2009, 04:23 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,950,129 times
Commodity markets are world wide markets. No one country can regulate them. If the US tries they will just move to another jurisdiction.

Old 07-10-2009, 04:40 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,520,376 times
I think that was the argument that the banks used about 4 years ago and that is not really true. The actual level of portability of these exchanges, public or closed, is rather limited. Once any government gets a taste for the taxes that they could impose on trades and outlines the banking regulations needed for efficient clearing it becomes obvious that you can't run exchanges in a nation that does not have court system like the US. Trust is one thing but being able to efficiently bring suit for bad trades is quite another. The exchanges will be part of the US system and they will be run outside of the normal bank balance sheet. Count on it.

Old 07-10-2009, 06:01 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,950,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
I think that was the argument that the banks used about 4 years ago and that is not really true. The actual level of portability of these exchanges, public or closed, is rather limited. Once any government gets a taste for the taxes that they could impose on trades and outlines the banking regulations needed for efficient clearing it becomes obvious that you can't run exchanges in a nation that does not have court system like the US. Trust is one thing but being able to efficiently bring suit for bad trades is quite another. The exchanges will be part of the US system and they will be run outside of the normal bank balance sheet. Count on it.
I take your point but I think we may underestimate the appetite for other jurisdictions in the developed world (i.e. with a stable and reliable legal system) to supplant the US as the home for these markets. It then becomes a question of whether the pain being inflicted by an enhanced US regulatory regime is sufficient incentive for them to move.

Old 07-21-2009, 08:28 PM

12,022 posts, read 11,606,551 times
You have to blame the Federal Reserve most for intentionally devaluing the dollar and forcing down US treasury rates. That leaves investors with little else but commodities to hedge their investments against the dollar and inflation. In his congressional testimony, Ben Bernanke explains that he provided foreign banks with 500 billion dollars to keep their banks forced selling of assets from causing a rise in the US dollar and a corresponding fall in dollar-denominated assets such as treasury bonds, commodities, and stocks. A fall in the value of treasury bonds would've caused longer maturity rates to rise and forced the Fed to lift short-term interest rates from zero.

YouTube - Alan Grayson: "Which Foreigners Got the Fed's $500,000,000,000?" Bernanke: "I Don't Know."

Last edited by lchoro; 07-21-2009 at 08:48 PM..

Old 07-22-2009, 06:08 PM

2,883 posts, read 5,899,863 times
LOL, what an idiot!

He didn't know who the european central banks were. And he didn't know when the federal reserve act was...."a long time ago", lol.

Grayson could look through Bernanke's ear and see from one side of the room to the other. Nothing in there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing