Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 10:02 PM

3 posts, read 24,882 times

Advertisements

A close friend of mine got a job in CR. She's going to be moving there in June. Just wanted to know if there are any neighborhoods to avoid (where crime might be high)...

Thanks a lot for your help.

Go Hawks!

Zee
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2008, 11:03 PM

1,744 posts, read 7,258,342 times
Cedar Rapids is probably among the safest cities in the US, I wouldn't worry too much. I hear there are a few slummy areas though, I'm sure someone will clue you in to where those are.

Old 03-28-2008, 08:00 AM

296 posts, read 1,283,392 times
Wellington Heights is probably the first one that comes to mind. However, it is a neighborhood where people are trying mightily to make a difference, and you can't say that about some of the apartment complexes with a high rate of police calls! Here's the Wellington Heights website: Wellington Heights Neighborhood Association I think I found a map of exactly what is considered Wellington Heights, but can't, now. It's "around" the area bounded by 1st Avenue SE, 10th to 19th Streets, and Mt. Vernon Rd. General vicinity, anyway.

Otherwise, there are a couple of large apartment complexes with a bad rep. The one on Pioneer Street in SE Cedar Rapids used to be highest in Police calls in the city, may still be. What used to be the Park Towne apartments at Center Point Rd. and 42nd street were bad, but were completely renovated by new ownership/management and they seem to be doing MUCH better (and look very nice!)

At one time or another, I've considered living in all those places (Okay, not Pioneer... just because it is ugly and pointless, not because of crime -- too many nicer places in similar prices ranges not far away). I didn't move into Wellington heights because I couldn't find anywhere to rent that had a garage and I really wanted a garage at the time. If you pay attention and are cautious, you would very probably be perfectly safe in all of those places in Cedar Rapids, although your neighbors might really get on your nerves after a while.

Is your friend planning to rent? We generally recommend people live somewhere close-ish to work, just for convenience, and her employer will undoubtedly have recommendations. There is an apartment complex off Ellis Rd., at Edgewood, whose name escapes me, but I've always liked it. It's right by the river, very hilly and wooded, with lots of smaller buildings tucked into the trees. The units have fire places and allow pets. If I hadn't found a condo unit for rent closer to work waybackwhen, that would have been my choice.

Old 03-28-2008, 09:32 PM

2,072 posts, read 5,414,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodwardGirl View Post
What used to be the Park Towne apartments at Center Point Rd. and 42nd street were bad, but were completely renovated by new ownership/management and they seem to be doing MUCH better (and look very nice!)
Funny you mention these apartments ... (Now "The Pointe") ... My brother actually just moved out today into a house he bought on the SW side. The apartments were brand new renovated when he moved in, but it sounds like things are starting to slip downhill again... He had his truck broke(n?) into twice now. Once last week. Not sure if it's the complex itself of low income housing nearby... Sounds like the NE side has quite a bit of trouble with car break ins though.

I also saw that you mentioned the smell from the huge landfill in a post about a week ago somewhere... and I definitely noticed it today. It was hard for me not to gag. But it was only bad for about a 1/2 hour and then went away ... They're retiring that landfill though right?

Old 03-29-2008, 02:19 AM

3 posts, read 24,882 times
Thanks a lot for the input guys, appreciate it!

Old 03-29-2008, 03:38 AM

296 posts, read 1,283,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metro223 View Post
I also saw that you mentioned the smell from the huge landfill in a post about a week ago somewhere... and I definitely noticed it today. It was hard for me not to gag. But it was only bad for about a 1/2 hour and then went away ... They're retiring that landfill though right?
Actually, I wasn't aware of a problem with the landfill... my complaint has been with the sewage treatment plant. The smells are pretty different... I know the landfill smell just from having been there, but didn't realize it was... affecting the neighborhood. Yes, they are definitely retiring it -- it is closed to further dumping and many proposals have been made for its future recreational use, from a whitewater competition site to an outdoor concert amphitheatre. Such a concentrated odor for a period that you describe does sound like it had to do with some sort of reconfiguring that was being done. But if your brother finds it to be a continued issue, I hope you'll let us know. I take it he's moved to somewhere relatively near there on the SW side?

Old 03-29-2008, 09:34 AM

2,072 posts, read 5,414,612 times
I guess we assumed it was that landfill - could have been the sewage treatment plant, though I'm not sure where that's located. He lives roughly in the area of the new Wilson Ave. Hy-Vee, so yes, SW.

I guess I never noticed how the landfill is so massive - then again I don't see landfills much. We were giving him a hard time because he has "mountainous views" .. heehee.

Old 04-28-2013, 03:07 PM

2 posts, read 13,205 times
Default Need Advice

I am a young college student moving in with my boyfriend, we currently live at Kirkwood and want to rent a house. We got approved for one located on C ave NE near coe and also by an elementary school. Im wondering if anyone could tell me if this is a safe neighborhood to live in or if I should find somewhere else?

Old 04-28-2013, 06:40 PM

2,017 posts, read 3,191,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrianae View Post
I am a young college student moving in with my boyfriend, we currently live at Kirkwood and want to rent a house. We got approved for one located on C ave NE near coe and also by an elementary school. Im wondering if anyone could tell me if this is a safe neighborhood to live in or if I should find somewhere else?
If it's very close to Coe, on the same side of 1st Ave, I'm guessing crime will definitely be higher there. Have you seen the house? The area I'm thinking of wouldn't be a good idea, especially if it's close to the downtown HyVee. Other places further from downtown would be a much safer bet.

Old 04-30-2013, 07:15 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,096,821 times
It's a medium area of town. It shouldn't be a dangerous neighborhood. Obviously it won't be out in the burbs. If you need to live near downtown, this area is better than average for areas that are "downtown".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa