Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2009, 11:49 AM

9 posts, read 21,456 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemastre View Post
I was born and reared in a small Iowa town, attended ISU, and moved away about 50 years ago. The perspective gained from living away from Iowa and visiting now and then makes it easier to understand why it is the way it is.

First, the state has a low population density, the rural areas historically comprising mostly northern Europeans (German, scandinavian, and Irish) with roots in farming.

It doesn't offer a great variety of career opportunities, although changes in agriculture have impelled small cities to work hard to attract and establish light industries of various sorts.

The "racism" and standoffishness visitors may sense stems from the fact that many native Iowans (rural midwesterners in general) are pretty insular and uneasy with strangers not obviously similar to themselves. This is because they've very likely lived all their lives on farms and in tiny communities among people just like themselves. In these small towns, it's possible to go days without meeting or even seeing someone you don't know. A great many haven't left home even long enough to attend a nearby college or work for any period of time in another town. If it weren't for this country's various wars forcing young people away from home and into a form of cultural exchange, this insularity would probably be even more pronounced.

With little firsthand experience of others, people's responses seem to rely on inherited prejudices, TV, and newspaper reports. There is some distortion in the picture imparted by these resources.

Despite that they aren't exactly worldly, Iowans are pretty resourceful and intelligent. They offer a helping hand where needed, and they are generally trustworthy and hardworking.

And today, even the smallest midwestern communities are receiving residents from across the Rio Grande, and this will no doubt result in rural America experiencing the sort of adjustments the border states have been undergoing for years. It's part of "globalization," I guess. Whether this is good or bad for Iowa remains to be seen

If nothing else draws you to Iowa, note that it has lovely, rolling land still offering pristine air and four distinct seasons.
Pristine air? Apparently, you've never been in Clinton, IA or Cedar Rapids, IA or Carroll, IA or Davenport, IA or..... Getting the picture?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2009, 04:42 PM

415 posts, read 1,739,481 times
If you hate it here so much, feel free to move to your beloved Texas. Its not the police's fault if judges and juries keep letting Pachino out.

Old 06-14-2009, 09:48 AM

23 posts, read 50,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disappointment_in_IA View Post
Pristine air? Apparently, you've never been in Clinton, IA or Cedar Rapids, IA or Carroll, IA or Davenport, IA or..... Getting the picture?
I've not been in those towns in many years. If the brown dome has descended on them, I'm surely sorry. But a few years ago I found Des Moines to be free of smog so assumed the smaller towns and the countryside, having even less auto traffic, would still enjoy even cleaner air.

Old 06-14-2009, 03:08 PM

415 posts, read 1,739,481 times
No city in Iowa has smog in the Phoenix or LA sense, but I won't say you can't occasionally see some brown on the horizon. The poster you quoted clearly hates the state and wants to talk it down, because the air here in Davenport is just fine. Davenport and the other cities he mentioned have localized industrial smells (petfood near the Purina plant in Davenport, cereal near General Mills in CR, etc) but its not like the whole cities smell.

Old 06-15-2009, 06:27 PM

4,857 posts, read 7,611,888 times
IMHO People who think the Quad Cities has a serious gang problem are dramatic and sheltered people.

Old 06-28-2009, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuadCityImages View Post
If you hate it here so much, feel free to move to your beloved Texas. Its not the police's fault if judges and juries keep letting Pachino out.
Perhaps... but it is the police fault that they are inadequate in proper processing of crime scenes!

Old 06-28-2009, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemastre View Post
I've not been in those towns in many years. If the brown dome has descended on them, I'm surely sorry. But a few years ago I found Des Moines to be free of smog so assumed the smaller towns and the countryside, having even less auto traffic, would still enjoy even cleaner air.
Air studies data in Iowa in 2007 and 2008 indicate that Iowa (as a whole!) air quality is "borderline" for exceeding federally imposed limits for air pollution. Davenport has exceeded these limits on several occasions in the past!

Old 06-28-2009, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuadCityImages View Post
No city in Iowa has smog in the Phoenix or LA sense, but I won't say you can't occasionally see some brown on the horizon. The poster you quoted clearly hates the state and wants to talk it down, because the air here in Davenport is just fine. Davenport and the other cities he mentioned have localized industrial smells (petfood near the Purina plant in Davenport, cereal near General Mills in CR, etc) but its not like the whole cities smell.
Air studies data in Iowa in 2007 and 2008 indicate that Iowa (as a whole!) air quality is "borderline" for exceeding federally imposed limits for air pollution. Davenport has exceeded these limits on several occasions in the past!

Old 06-28-2009, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dport7674 View Post
IMHO People who think the Quad Cities has a serious gang problem are dramatic and sheltered people.
I disagree! The PD here is really good at staking out local bar & grills, timing how long cars are parked at the establishments and then when they leave, look for ANY reason to stop them and, well, I think you know what's next....

The PD in Davenport claim there is no drug traffic in/thru the city. Just because they can't find it or stop it doesn't mean that it isn't happening! The same is true for gang activity. The recent and continuing graffiti smear and territory marking of certain neighborhoods in Davenport should be proof enough that this problem exists and is not going away anytime soon because of the PD propaganda campaign.

Old 06-28-2009, 01:09 PM

4,857 posts, read 7,611,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disappointment_in_IA View Post

The PD in Davenport claim there is no drug traffic in/thru the city.
Link? No way did you say that without being able to back it up

Edit: It's understood that I-80 is a major drug pipeline and I've heard the police on the news admit it several times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa