Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2009, 04:53 PM

1,658 posts, read 3,548,296 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by justmeandme View Post
I don't think this ruling is going to stick. And if this new "progressiveness" travels to Omaha I'll join the group to stop it. Gays deserve equal rights, they don't deserve to define "marriage" for us all. Put it to a vote. I think the majority would vote that "marriage" is between a man and a woman ...for rather obvious reasons.
Gays are not defining marriage for "us all." They are defining it for themselves. Gay people being able to get married has no affect on your marriage/ability to get married whatsoever.

Old 04-04-2009, 05:20 PM

3,493 posts, read 4,554,281 times
Quote:
I don't think this ruling is going to stick. And if this new "progressiveness" travels to Omaha I'll join the group to stop it. Gays deserve equal rights, they don't deserve to define "marriage" for us all. Put it to a vote. I think the majority would vote that "marriage" is between a man and a woman ...for rather obvious reasons.

By the way, out of curiosity do gays just go for a legal union or are they interested in a religious union too?
Your definition of marriage restricts other couples that do not meet YOUR definition. As such, you are denying the same right to them. I believe the best approach is that you live your definition of marriage in your life and also not interfere with other people's definition of marriage.

For the sake of truly understanding you. What is your criteria of not agreeing with gay marriage?

As far as a religious union, why do you ask?

If there is a religion that has not problem with marrying gays, what is the problem? That goes along with freedom of religion also, correct?
Please expand.

You have a great day.
El Amigo

Old 04-04-2009, 05:44 PM

3,493 posts, read 4,554,281 times
I have a question for anyone that may be able to help me.

Under my name, on the top right side corner I often see direct messages. In some cases someone writes a one liner.
However, there are time what all I see "Quick-reputation". What does that mean?
I appreciate your help.

You have a great day.
El Amigo

Old 04-04-2009, 06:25 PM

3,340 posts, read 9,690,476 times
it means they didn't type anything when they repped you.

Old 04-04-2009, 06:27 PM

3,340 posts, read 9,690,476 times
OK, I believe the Christian Religion should have no bias against gay people, The Sodom and Gammorah story is often mis translated in my opinion.

Old 04-04-2009, 06:41 PM

32,620 posts, read 77,624,272 times
The problem is that Roman Catholicism in and of itself recognizes sexual orientation as being innate and inherent to an individual; it is merely homosexual "actions" that are admonished. I suppose they realized that God is infallible, and, as such, if scientific research is coming closer and closer to proving that people can't consciously "control" their sexual orientation then it must be okay for someone to BE gay as long as they don't ACT gay, or else it would blow the theory of God "not making mistakes" right out of the water.

This is why I continue to be rather reserved as a young homosexual male. God won't condemn me to hell for merely BEING of a different sexual orientation, but would he if I should happen to decide to spend my life with a member of the same sex? Is this like his way of "testing" us? To those of you who worship Sarah Palin, Ann Coulter, Rush Limbaugh, etc., etc. let it be known that I do not take the Bible in a literal context, as I don't believe the book was intended to have been interpreted verbatim but rather rationalized into a guideline of moral principles, parables, and lessons to be learned to help you grow closer to God. For those of you saying "God wouldn't want this to happen," can I have his cell phone number, since you seem to know so much about this divine entity that I know so very little about?

While we're at it, if marriage is a "sacred" and/or "religious" institution, then why do you heterosexuals let ATHEISTS get married? Shouldn't you be protesting them as well for making a mockery of your faith? Shouldn't you be upset that some sects of Mormonism condone polygamy? I fail to see how my future partner (assuming I can EVER find one---sniffle, sniffle) and I joining together as one flesh will somehow invalidate and nullify YOUR marriage. If anything I believe people like Britney Spears and Zsa Zsa Gabor have already proven to society that marriage has become something of "convenience" as opposed to an eternal commitment. Why attack we gays? Is it because you're jealous that some of us can be so happy to be together with another person?

Hell, if nothing else one would think straight males would ADORE gay males for "freeing up more women" for them to enjoy. LOL! Instead most straight males FEAR gay males, and most straight women ENJOY the company of gay males, even though common logic would dictate that heterosexual women ought to feel threatened that gay males are stealing other attainable males away from them. Perhaps this is because straight women are intelligent enough to understand that you can't "spread" gayness whereas straight men think that if they hang around us too much they'll be "converted?" Trust me. I can be very, very seductive when I want to be, am in very good shape, and turn heads when I go running outdoors through town. If ANYONE could "turn someone" it might just be me. It has yet to happen. You can NOT just alter someone's sexual orientation at will. Sure, I could pay a straight male $1,000 to perform a sexual act upon him, but in the end nothing changes. You could pay me $1,000 to score with a chick, but in the end once again I'm still going to only be attracted to members of the same gender. I don't know why that's so difficult for so many to comprehend?!

Old 04-04-2009, 06:44 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,789,526 times
Quote:

By the way, out of curiosity do gays just go for a legal union or are they interested in a religious union too?
The majority of gays and lesbians could care less about whether or not the church will recognize their unions. It's all about the rights they will receive under the law.
Even churches these days do not marry all heterosexuals who come to them seeking marriage. I see no reason why that shouldn't apply to gays and lesbians as well.
The last place I'd want to get married is in a church.
There are plenty of denominations that will marry same-sex couples...or plenty of individual places of worship.

In any case...all my Iowan caterers: START YOUR ENGINES!! YOU HAVE PLENTY OF WEDDING CAKES TO DELIVER!!

Old 04-05-2009, 06:00 AM

1,744 posts, read 7,261,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
Trust me. I can be very, very seductive when I want to be, am in very good shape, and turn heads when I go running outdoors through town. If ANYONE could "turn someone" it might just be me.

I wish there was a smiley for spitting my drink all over the computer screen laughing. Oh man...

Old 04-05-2009, 07:55 AM

32,620 posts, read 77,624,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Rhino View Post
I wish there was a smiley for spitting my drink all over the computer screen laughing. Oh man...
I like to try to interject some humor every now and then to diffuse some tensing situations.

Old 04-05-2009, 02:39 PM

267 posts, read 1,231,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveTodayLez08 View Post
In any case...all my Iowan caterers: START YOUR ENGINES!! YOU HAVE PLENTY OF WEDDING CAKES TO DELIVER!!
Will Iowan same-sex marriages be recognized in other states? I was under the impression that you had to live in one of the states that allow it, because most states have banned same-sex marriage outright. I certainly hope you're right about that, but I'm not so sure.

In any case, hopefully more same-sex couples will relocate to Iowa! We would love to have you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa