Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is your top Iowa city of the Top 5 Largest Iowa Cities?
Des Moines 106 50.24%
Sioux City 19 9.00%
Cedar Rapids 31 14.69%
Davenport 44 20.85%
Waterloo 11 5.21%
Voters: 211. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2008, 10:28 AM

1,744 posts, read 7,258,342 times
If you're looking at this website, could you be kind enough to post a link, Ruralboy? We've already addressed your other "points" as far as why not being on the list of top rated school districts in the US (or the world's list of top American schools whatever that may be) doesn't mean they're bad. You talk a lot about other people's education, it's time for you to start proving yours. Good luck.

PS: No one told you to come out of the corner yet.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2008, 09:42 PM

13 posts, read 30,152 times
Cedar Rapids and Iowa City combined are the best....since they're so close together. I just moved to Cedar Rapids 2 years ago and love it. Love going to Iowa City too. I'm a recent college graduate of UNI and like the fact that CR is in between UI and UNI, perfect for me. My hometown of Mt. Pleasant is also on the same highway so its an easy drive all around. Des Moines is great too, but I never make it out there because most of the people I know live in the eastern part of the state. Waterloo...by far the worst of the large cities. After living in the Cedar Falls/Waterloo metro area I can safely say that the loo is in terrible shape. Sioux City isn't near anywhere I want to be so that's why I don't take it into consideration, same with Council Bluffs. Davenport and Dubuque I don't mind either. But by far, Cedar Rapids is my favorite, along with Iowa City.

Old 06-02-2008, 09:33 PM

609 posts, read 2,921,159 times
I agree...CR/Iowa City is well situated...access to Quad Cities, Des Moines, Waterloo, and Dubuque...and relatively close to Chicago.

Lived in that region for 6 years of my life. Wish American would offer non stops to all of the Iowa Cities from DFW...but unfortunately not the case.

As for SIoux City and CB, both are great cities in their own right with Sioux City being the 4th largest metro area behind DSM, Quad, and CR.
Nice thing a/b Western Iowa that is completely understated is the Loess Hills. The Scenic Byway is great, and it offers a hidden treasure. They should try to promote it more in conjunction with the Missouri...perhaps a regional resort, etc....

The Mississippi R valley on the other hand is also understated as well...

Old 06-03-2008, 09:10 AM

14 posts, read 66,919 times
Des Moines was the first big city I went to on our trip last year and I must say my wife and I loved it..Nothing like I thought a big American city should look like,it looks more like a big modern English city to me like Milton Keynes or Stevenage.The only difference is its cleaner!We looked round the big local hospital where our friend is a biologist and my wife ,who works in the operating theatre over here was mighty impressed,its so modern.Next year when we come over again hope to see a whole lot more of it.

Old 07-23-2008, 04:22 PM

1 posts, read 4,186 times
Default -

What are your top 5 cities in Iowa?
1. Okoboji
2. Des Moines
3. Ottumwa
4. Fairfield
5. Iowa City

What are your 3 least favorite cities?
1. Waterloo
2. Davenport
3. Dubuque

Out of all of the cities in Iowa its hard to pick a city thats nice and modern and has something to do. In Iowa there are so few cities that you can enjoy doing something and you could be there for over a week and not get bored. There are so many disgusting cities and some really nice ones. Like Cedar Rapids its ok but the city council is ruining everything and hopefully since the flood the old farts will actually make the city better. Even though I'm forced to live here till I'm finished with high school it an ok state to live in. I'll be happy the day I can get away though.

Old 07-23-2008, 05:09 PM

586 posts, read 2,184,512 times
You lose points for credibility by listing Ottumwa, one of the biggest armpits in the state.

Old 07-24-2008, 10:25 PM

2,401 posts, read 4,347,219 times
Quote:
Out of all of the cities in Iowa its hard to pick a city thats nice and modern and has something to do
Sounds like a personal problem. Boring people get bored.

Old 07-25-2008, 06:18 AM

2,793 posts, read 6,121,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sim19 View Post
Out of all of the cities in Iowa its hard to pick a city thats nice and modern and has something to do.
What are you talking about? Living history farms, the state fair, and tall buildings; Des Moines has everything you'll ever need.

Old 07-25-2008, 08:17 AM

681 posts, read 3,035,101 times
Technically, this poll's outdated now that Iowa City is the 5th largest city in the state.

Old 05-12-2010, 07:02 PM

1 posts, read 2,658 times
my husband got a job in amana iowa.. however they say its a very small town. i have never been to iowa and we will relocate... my kids are all a honor roll students and im wanting a safe okay place. where would you recommend. u know more family communities, less crime.. etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa