Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 09:38 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,561,880 times

Advertisements

Muslims aren't totally unique in prohibiting instruments. The Restorationist "Churches of Christ" prohibit instruments because they are not in the New Testament. Notable members, or people raised in that faith, include

Gus Grissom - Deceased astronaut.
Scott Hamilton - Figure skater. I'm sure he skates to instrumental music, but I don't think I've seen him play an instrument.
Dwight Yoakam - Known for playing guitar, but as a kid they only did a capella singing per his denomination.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2010, 04:28 AM

1,216 posts, read 2,264,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
Is their anything in the Quran that specifically prohibits singing worship songs to Allah after prayers? It would be very nice if everyone joined in together to sing that song after prayer.
no , their is nothing in quran describe in details how our worship should be , the details of prayer is exsit in sunnah not in quran

Old 07-24-2010, 06:36 AM

4,082 posts, read 5,043,380 times
Quote:
That's absurd, instruments are inanimate objects, they can no more be the works of God or Satan then a saw can. A saw can be used to make beautiful woodwork, or it can be used to hack off someone's head; it's what the user does with the instrument that is either good or evil, not the instrument itself. Plus your other argument doesn't account for self control; does drinking water lead to getting wasted on vodka? No, because you have self control. Also, you too didn't answer my question either; is there anywhere in the Quran that strictly prohibits singing praise songs to Allah during prayer services? It's such a simple question, but everyone keeps dodging it. Thanks

You have received answer after answer. It is clear that you are just looking to argue and insult. Most folks when they ask a question and get an answer don't persist to insults.

You have been told by one that there isn't a specific place in the Qur'an that prohibits music.

You have been told by many that the service follows the example of what the prophet did in a service.

Islam does not just have a Qur'an it also has the sunnah that it follows and as in other religions there are scholars.

Whether music is halal or haram ( ok or forbidden) its up for debate in many scholarly circles but music in Friday prayers does not happen.

There are other religions that don't have music.

There are Christian denominations that don't have music.

Why do you persist?

Old 07-24-2010, 10:04 AM

5,999 posts, read 7,100,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elwill View Post
no , their is nothing in quran describe in details how our worship should be , the details of prayer is exsit in sunnah not in quran
Is there anything in the sunnah that strictly forbids singing after prayer? Thanks for answering all of my questions, I appreciate it. Also, I forgot to ask you, what do you think about my point regarding instruments neither being sinful or sin free; like a saw or hammer, it depends on what the user does with these instruments. Thanks again

Old 07-24-2010, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
Muslims aren't totally unique in prohibiting instruments. The Restorationist "Churches of Christ" prohibit instruments because they are not in the New Testament. Notable members, or people raised in that faith, include

Gus Grissom - Deceased astronaut.
Scott Hamilton - Figure skater. I'm sure he skates to instrumental music, but I don't think I've seen him play an instrument.
Dwight Yoakam - Known for playing guitar, but as a kid they only did a capella singing per his denomination.
You're confusing a denomination with an entire religion. Plus, as you mentioned one can sing a Capella without instruments.

Old 07-24-2010, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Is there anything in the sunnah that strictly forbids singing after prayer? Thanks for answering all of my questions, I appreciate it. Also, I forgot to ask you, what do you think about my point regarding instruments neither being sinful or sin free; like a saw or hammer, it depends on what the user does with these instruments. Thanks again
in sunnah their wasn't singing after prayer to be prohibited in the first place

i can understand you view about instrument , and i agree with your logic

but is that haram in islam to use it ? this question i really not sure from it's answer .

Old 07-24-2010, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elwill View Post
in sunnah their wasn't singing after prayer to be prohibited in the first place

i can understand you view about instrument , and i agree with your logic

but is that haram in islam to use it ? this question i really not sure from it's answer .
Thanks for all of your answers, you're very kind and not nearly as thin skinned and defensive as the non Muslims. lol

Old 07-24-2010, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Thanks for all of your answers, you're very kind and not nearly as thin skinned and defensive as the non Muslims. lol
you are wellcome

just wnat to clarify something , it was mentioned in one of the ahadeeth what means that instrument is the work of satan

whatever , it dosn't mean that the object itself is the work of satan nor it means that whole it's results will be bad works with bad influences upon us , rather it means that it's easy tool for satan to do his works
(satan : is a sympolic term for evil or bad , not think of it as an specific alien, satan can refer to me or you or whoever assist evil )

the majority conduct of instruments is bad , can you deny ? (at least from islamic point of view )
that's why some scholars close this door completly by saying it's haram

i will quote for you what sukrill said to you again to understand my point and her's
Quote:
because instruments are supposed to be the works of the shaitan. if you listen to hip hop now a days, or at least mainstream, its about sex, drugs, money, etc.

anyway , all of this discussion have nothing to do with your question about why we don't associate music to our prayer in mosque

the simple answer for this question is that our prophet teached us the way of worship which God wnated from us , we have no authority to evaluate or make additions to it

The Prophet (p.b.u.h.) said:
"He who innovates something in this affair of ours (i.e. Sunnah) that is not part of it, will have it rejected." (Bukhaari and Muslim)

The Prophet (p.b.u.h.) would say in his Friday khutbah (sermon):
"To Proceed. Surely the best speech is the Book of Allaah and the best of all guidance is the guidance of Muhammad. And the worst of all affairs are newly invented things and every newly invented thing is an innovation and every innovation is astray." (Sahih Muslim)

can you consider these ahadeeth as prohibtion for singing praise songs to Allah during prayer services (because it will be innovation ) ?
actually i would

Old 07-25-2010, 05:36 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,561,880 times
Quote:
You're confusing a denomination with an entire religion. Plus, as you mentioned one can sing a Capella without instruments.
No, I'm not. I was just trying to show that if Islam prohibits musical instruments for worship that's not unique.

Islam emphasizes the oneness of God. If I mentioned Oneness Pentecostalism does the same this doesn't mean I'm saying Oneness Pentecostalism is a separate religion from Christianity.

Old 07-25-2010, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
No, I'm not. I was just trying to show that if Islam prohibits musical instruments for worship that's not unique.

Islam emphasizes the oneness of God. If I mentioned Oneness Pentecostalism does the same this doesn't mean I'm saying Oneness Pentecostalism is a separate religion from Christianity.
You're missing my point, you were comparing a denomination (Oneness Pentecostalism) with an entire religion (Islam). A better comparison would've been the former with Shia Islam. No biggie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam