Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2011, 11:00 PM

33,562 posts, read 37,160,046 times

Advertisements

I disagree. I believe that all medical people should know how evolution impacts the human body, and the pathogens that infect it...I sure wouldn't want to be treated by an MD who is ignorant about the role evolution plays in various illnesses. Your analogy leaves a lot to be desired, after all before a mechanic can repair your car he needs to know what the problem is and what caused it.

I'm a bit curious, as you seem to be an intelligent person...Do you accept evolution as fact?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2011, 01:00 PM

9,616 posts, read 12,923,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theophane View Post
How relevant is evolution to medical science, anyway?
Really? Answer:

√ To understand how various once-treatable but now untreatable diseases got to that status (Evoluion)?

√ Thus to understand the possible pathways that a pathogen might invade a cohort of potential "patients" it was once denied access to?

√ To understand how to modify a drug or treatment to better overcome a medical situation?

It surely beats praying by the bedside of the patient who is dying of TB or a new airborne virus, now don't it?

Or... should we set your shriveling body outside in the cold and deny you any of the benefits of modern scientific understandings of genetics and an organism's abilities to evolve (as in: adapt and molecularly remember; same thing, and also defined as, yup: "Evolution"...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
While it could be a much needed criteria for one going into medical research or pathology. Most GP's are organic body repairmen. They need not know the origin of a disorder, they need to know how to identify and treat it. It makes no difference if the body was the result of Creation, divine Intervention, evolution, or a biology experiment gone wild.

An automobile mechanic need not know if the automobile was invented by Dusseldorf, Benz, or any other contender. He just needs to know he is fixing a car and needs to know how to figure out what is wrong with it.
I disagree Woodrow. Todays doctors or auto techs, as an example, must understand the deeper whys and hows that culminate in some particular diagnostic condition (actually, it's gotten so complex that they usually plug in a computer, but all that's doing is converting a deep and once human, but now critical understandings of those key ideas and how they interact in order to put forward a few alternative suggestions to diagnose the possible problem...)

A good mechanic still understands all the basics behind the operation of, say, one sensor and operations measurement and feedback system. Just like in our bodies.

As to Evolution's base impact on modern medicine, it's THE sole basis for our lives and existence as humans, so it should be well understood!

Those Muslim "doctors" will be functionally short-changing their luckless patients, but perhaps it's just a Darwinian selection thing after all...

Old 12-04-2011, 02:21 PM

4,612 posts, read 4,898,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
Those Muslim "doctors" will be functionally short-changing their luckless patients, but perhaps it's just a Darwinian selection thing after all...
But at least those Muslims will understand how Muham split the moon into two pieces. I bet even you couldn't do that hat trick.

Old 12-04-2011, 05:40 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,937,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by other99 View Post
Muslim students, including trainee doctors on one of Britain's leading medical courses, are walking out of lectures on evolution claiming it conflicts with creationist ideas established in the Koran.

Read more: Muslim students walking out of lectures on Darwinism because it 'clashes with the Koran' | Mail Online
Then they should be disqualified from the program. Kicked out. No exception.

Old 12-04-2011, 06:03 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,093,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post

I'm a bit curious, as you seem to be an intelligent person...Do you accept evolution as fact?
For all things except man. I see man as being a unique creation, we may have changed from what we first were, but we did not evolve from any non-human species.

I also do not rule out the possibility there were side branches of the Human race possibly even some hybridization. But over-all Humans came from one set of parents.

Old 12-04-2011, 07:03 PM

33,562 posts, read 37,160,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
For all things except man. I see man as being a unique creation, we may have changed from what we first were, but we did not evolve from any non-human species.

I also do not rule out the possibility there were side branches of the Human race possibly even some hybridization. But over-all Humans came from one set of parents.
Ahhh, the egotistical position of all religions. We are not so special and we escaped evolving in the same way every other plant and creature on earth did...If you are actually intelligent you know this because nothing else makes sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam