Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2009, 06:23 AM

351 posts, read 533,877 times

Advertisements

I am already starving and the day has just got started!

Well the sun sets in about 12 hours...I can make it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2009, 07:36 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,045,063 times
And peace be on to you during Ramadan, from a non-believer.

Old 08-22-2009, 11:58 AM

433 posts, read 964,245 times
What is your reason for fasting?
is it to please a non-existing God or is it to try to put yourself in the shoes of the needy and the poor?

i'm an Atheist but i fast for a month every year.....my reasoning is the latter.

Old 08-22-2009, 05:10 PM

1,186 posts, read 2,250,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
And peace be on to you during Ramadan, from a non-believer.

thank you

Old 08-22-2009, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evidence-is-key View Post
What is your reason for fasting?
is it to please a non-existing God or is it to try to put yourself in the shoes of the needy and the poor?

i'm an Atheist but i fast for a month every year.....my reasoning is the latter.
the reason is to obey God

so the fasting is actually a worship

O ye who believe! Fasting is prescribed to you as it was prescribed to those before you, that ye may (learn) self-restraint,-

(Fasting) for a fixed number of days; but if any of you is ill, or on a journey, the prescribed number (Should be made up) from days later. For those who can do it (With hardship), is a ransom, the feeding of one that is indigent. But he that will give more, of his own free will,- it is better for him. And it is better for you that ye fast, if ye only knew.

Ramadhan is the (month) in which was sent down the Qur'an, as a guide to mankind, also clear (Signs) for guidance and judgment (Between right and wrong). So every one of you who is present (at his home) during that month should spend it in fasting, but if any one is ill, or on a journey, the prescribed period (Should be made up) by days later. Allah intends every facility for you; He does not want to put to difficulties. (He wants you) to complete the prescribed period, and to glorify Him in that He has guided you; and perchance ye shall be grateful.

When My servants ask thee concerning Me, I am indeed close (to them): I listen to the prayer of every suppliant when he calleth on Me: Let them also, with a will, Listen to My call, and believe in Me: That they may walk in the right way.

Old 08-22-2009, 05:33 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,507,948 times
Blessings for your season of Ramadan, my Muslim friends..

Old 08-22-2009, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Blue View Post
Blessings for your season of Ramadan, my Muslim friends..
thank you

The Wisdom behind Fasting

One of the Names of Allaah is Al-Hakeem (The All-Wise), Allaah is All-Wise in what He decrees, what He commands, what He prohibits, what He predestines and what He legislates. Allaah may make people aware of the wisdom behind certain matters or He may conceal it, or may make only some people realize the wisdom and not all people.

In all cases, a believer is obliged to submit to his Lord and His decrees and commands even if he does not recognize the wisdom behind them, as Allaah says that which means: “It is not for a believing man or a believing woman, when Allaah and His Messenger have decided a matter, that they should [thereafter] have any choice about their affair.” [Quran: 33: 36].

One of the commands of Allaah which He made people partly aware of the wisdom behind it, is fasting. Fasting has many inwardly and outwardly benefits, on the individual and the community. The following are some of these benefits which can be recognized by reason:

Attaining piety: Allaah says that which means: “O you who have believed, decreed upon you is fasting as it was decreed upon those before you that you may become pious” [Quran: 2: 183].

Diminishing the strength of ones desires: Eating to one’s fill and quenching the thirst and enjoying one’s wife all the time can lead one to heedlessness and to ingratitude.

Focusing on the mention of Allaah and pondering: Continual fulfillment of desires makes one hard-hearted and blinds him from the right path. It also prevents the slave from mentioning Allaah and reflecting upon His signs and creation, all of which leads to heedlessness.

Narrowing the passage of the devil: Satan runs in the blood of the son of Aadam and fasting narrows his passage and thus lessens his effects, reduces one’s desires and calms one’s anger.

Strengthening One’s willpower and determination: One, who can tolerate the pain of hunger and thirst and controls himself from having a sexual relation with his spouse whilst fasting, will strengthen his determination and willpower. This frees the person from being enslaved to his lusts and desires that are harmful to him.

Breaking one out of his regular routine: Some people lose their temper and become ill-mannered if their meal was delayed from its normal time or if they do not drink their morning coffee or afternoon tea. They have become so accustomed to a certain routine that changing it creates a problem for them. Such people are slaves to their routine and habits, and fasting helps the person overcome this behavior.

Realizing the size of the bounties of Allaah: Fasting makes rich people appreciate the favors of Allaah upon him, because Allaah has granted him what He has deprived many other poor people from. Refraining from such bounties and blessings for a short period through fasting, reminds the rich with those who are continuously deprived, and thus become grateful to Allaah and more merciful towards the needy.

A communal act of worship: This act of worship must be practiced by the entire Muslim community in the east and the west. The entire Muslim nation fast this month, even the ones who are normally disobedient fast during Ramadhaan in most cases. This increases the righteous environment which facilitates repentance to many people.

Increases the sense of honesty: The one who breaks the fast is breaching the pledge with Allaah and thus fasting improves and increases his sense of honesty when he refrains from anything that could break his fast even whilst in seclusion.

Medical benefits: Fasting protects the person from many diseases with the will of Allaah. Modern research proved that fasting has many health benefits, such as:

·It organizes the person’s heart-beat and relaxes it since no blood is needed for digestion.
·It purifies the blood from fat and cholesterol and acids.
· It relieves the liver from the regular pressure.
· It reduces the production of the digestive glands which is usually the cause for ulcers.
·It protects the person from gaining weight, diabetes, kidney stones.
·It reduces the pressure on the heart arteries.

Some people are unable to fast due to their sickness, and thus Allaah permitted them to break their fast whilst sick and mandated that they make up for the days they missed. Allaah says that which means: “So whoever among you is ill or on a journey [during them]-then an equal number of days [are to be made up]” [Quran: 2: 184].The Wisdom behind Fasting

Old 08-22-2009, 11:22 PM

433 posts, read 964,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonsun View Post
the reason is to obey God

so the fasting is actually a worship
Why worship something that doesn't exist?

Old 08-23-2009, 06:26 AM

351 posts, read 533,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evidence-is-key View Post
Why worship something that doesn't exist?
For the same reason you would put yourself in the shoes of some random needy person by fasting

Last edited by Nasuba; 08-23-2009 at 07:08 AM..

Old 08-23-2009, 06:58 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,071,618 times
Good Ramadan to all of you. My good friend is a Muslim. I wish you all a lot of patience during your fasting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam