Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2009, 10:40 PM

2,331 posts, read 3,378,742 times

Advertisements

Entrance to the Garden Tomb.
Attached Thumbnails
Muslim ask You 1-gardentomb1.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2009, 10:42 PM

Plan of the tomb showing rooms.
Attached Thumbnails
Muslim ask You 1-gardentomb4.jpg  

Old 10-02-2009, 10:44 PM

Stone large enough to cover the original entrance to the tomb.
Attached Thumbnails
Muslim ask You 1-gardentomb7.jpg  

Old 10-02-2009, 10:46 PM

Golgotha, the skull, close to Garden Tomb.
Attached Thumbnails
Muslim ask You 1-golgotha2.jpg  

Old 10-02-2009, 10:51 PM

2,741 posts, read 8,892,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
Oh, come on, don't you people even know your own myths?? That tomb wasn't his, it was Joseph of Aramathea's tomb. If a tomb was made to fit the person intended to be buried there, all that means is that Joseph of Aramathea was a tall man for his time, not Jesus.

Mercury Cougar is correct: the tomb was not made for, and did not belong to Jesus...it did indeed belong to Joseph of Aramathea. One cannot assume Jesus was tall based solely on the size of the tomb...

Bud

Old 10-02-2009, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BudinAk View Post
Mercury Cougar is correct: the tomb was not made for, and did not belong to Jesus...it did indeed belong to Joseph of Aramathea. One cannot assume Jesus was tall based solely on the size of the tomb... Bud
It's most likely that the tomb was altered to make longer the place the body was laid after Joseph of Arimathea offered his tomb for the body of Jesus.

My guide who is an American, a Jew, a Mormon, and born in Palestine, said that Jesus was known to be taller than the Roman soldiers and that those soldiers to qualify for service in that area had to be at least two inches taller than the Jews. (Who were I think about 5 foot 5 inches tall on average at the time.)

That's what I am going on, I don't have another reference for the height of Jesus, maybe someone else does, I just thought it was interesting because there are competing tourist locations for that tomb.

Old 10-03-2009, 10:38 AM

6,034 posts, read 10,693,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justamere10 View Post
Is it possible do you think that the ledge was enlarged after it was decided that the body of Jesus would be placed there? As I recall, it's evident that just enough space for two feet to fit into it was gouged out to lengthen the original ledge.
You're making up things as you go along in order to justify what you want to believe about your mythological god. If you read the account of Joseph of Arimathea asking Pontius Pilate for the body, and then immediately purchasing burial linens etc and going to take down the body and inter it, you would realize that your fanciful little addition to the story is not particularly plausible with the timeline.

The description of the whole affair is pretty involved, the linen and the herbs and everything else. You think they just conveniently forgot to mention that they had to call stonemasons out in the middle of the night to alter a tomb? Besides which, have you ever pounded away on solid rock with primitive tools? I'll bet not, or you'd know it's not just a thing you can snap your fingers and have a large hole cut into rock.

This is of course playing along with you and pretending the whole story is actually true, and not a fairy tale.

Old 10-03-2009, 10:44 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,958,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Leviticus 20:13

[SIZE=1]13[/SIZE] " 'If a man lies with a man as one lies with a woman, both of them have done what is detestable. They must be put to death; their blood will be on their own heads.

Of course, there are more than this, but I'll let you read your bible and find them for yourself.

I'd love for everyone to respect the Earth. However, the chant of "drill here, drill now" doesn't sound like you're trying to give her a helping hand now does it. Sounds like people just want to get more and more and more out of her, and do little in return.
As far as I'm concerned being a Christian, this was for the time that people were living. This was to help the men stay in line. If you have a bunch of guys having sex all the time, not much would get done now, would it!!!

Maybe, this would help explain....................What the Bible Says - And Doesn't Say - About Homosexuality (http://www.soulforce.org/article/homosexuality-bible-gay-christian - broken link)

Misusing the Bible has drenched the planet in blood and tears. Most people who misuse the Bible DON'T search the Scriptures. They simply find a text that seems to support their prejudice and then spend the rest of their lives quoting (or misquoting) that text.
The way certain Bible verses are used to condemn homosexuality and homosexuals is a perfect example of this.

I'm certain you don't agree with these teachings from the Bible about sex. And you shouldn't. The list goes on: The Bible says clearly that sex with a prostitute is acceptable for the husband but not for the wife. Polygamy (more than one wife) is acceptable, as is a king's having many concubines. (Solomon, the wisest king of all, had 1,000 concubines.) Slavery and sex with slaves, marriage of girls aged 11-13, and treatment of women as property are all accepted practices in the Scriptures. On the other hand, there are strict prohibitions against interracial marriage, birth control, discussing or even naming a sexual organ, and seeing one's parents nude.
Over the centuries the Holy Spirit has taught us that certain Bible verses should not be understood as God's law for all time periods. Some verses are specific to the culture and time they were written, and are no longer viewed as appropriate, wise, or just.
Often, the Holy Spirit uses science to teach us why those ancient words no longer apply to our modern times. During the last three decades, for example, organizations representing 1.5 million U.S. health professionals (doctors, psychiatrists, psychologists, counselors, and educators) have stated definitively that homosexual orientation is as natural as heterosexual orientation, that sexual orientation is determined by a combination of yet unknown pre- and post-natal influences, and that it is dangerous and inappropriate to tell a homosexual that he or she could or should attempt to change his or her sexual orientation.

While there are some people now living in heterosexual marriages who once perceived themselves to be gay, there are millions of gay and lesbian persons who have accepted their sexual orientation as a gift from God and live productive and deeply spiritual lives. The evidence from science and from the personal experience of gay and lesbian Christians demands that we at least consider whether the passages cited to condemn homosexual behavior should be reconsidered, just as other Bible verses that speak of certain sexual practices are no longer understood as God's law for us in this day.

This is because people use the Bible in the wrong way, not that God condoned this in TODAY'S world.

DO YOU DRIVE A CAR, DO YOU HEAT YOUR HOME????

Old 10-03-2009, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
You're making up things as you go along in order to justify what you want to believe about your mythological god. If you read the account of Joseph of Arimathea asking Pontius Pilate for the body, and then immediately purchasing burial linens etc and going to take down the body and inter it, you would realize that your fanciful little addition to the story is not particularly plausible with the timeline.

The description of the whole affair is pretty involved, the linen and the herbs and everything else. You think they just conveniently forgot to mention that they had to call stonemasons out in the middle of the night to alter a tomb? Besides which, have you ever pounded away on solid rock with primitive tools? I'll bet not, or you'd know it's not just a thing you can snap your fingers and have a large hole cut into rock.

This is of course playing along with you and pretending the whole story is actually true, and not a fairy tale.
Well, I even supplied some photos and a firsthand eyewitness of someone (me) who has been in that tomb. Have you been there? What evidence do you have that the Garden Tomb and what I saw there with my own eyes is just a "fairy tale"?

By the way, I have a large hill in my backyard. Recently I went there and carved some steps into a large rock so I could climb it easier. It only took a few minutes to do that with the primitive tools I used. No need for professional "stone masons" or power tools to do the simple thing that was done in that tomb by someone sometime, as I suppose tens of thousands of people who have actually been inside it could testify.

Old 10-03-2009, 10:49 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,958,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudinAk View Post
Mercury Cougar is correct: the tomb was not made for, and did not belong to Jesus...it did indeed belong to Joseph of Aramathea. One cannot assume Jesus was tall based solely on the size of the tomb...

Bud
We were not basing it on that at all. I just think he was a big man that drew people to him. It kind of goes with life people seem to be drawn more to tall powerful men, then small powerful men!!

The prophecy of Isaiah was completed.................
Isaiah 53:9a (KJV)
And he made his grave with the wicked, and with the rich in his death...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam