Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson
 [Register]
Jackson Includes Jackson, Madison, Canton, Clinton, Byram, Pearl, Brandon, Richland
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2017, 10:42 AM

1,716 posts, read 1,982,681 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalen Kane View Post
Mississippi mad its own bed - early on - and STILL holds on to the vestiges of the past, while many other fine southern states and cities continue to blast past that dump - Charlotte, Nashville, Atlanta, New Orleans and even small towns such as Huntsville AL, and Greenville SC.

Mississippi has only itself to *blame* - even for "perceptions".
Mississippi does have itself to blame, but mainly due to economic issues, not racism. The racism is the same as anywhere else. In MS, since the ag economy tanked along with taking the brunt of other areas (like manufacturing) that shrank and/or went overseas, the people who were left adopted a strategy to take for themselves what was left. That created a situation that was bad for business.

The racist past is bad but let's not miss the real reason here. In all honesty, I think the way out of the bad economic present is look to the past - ie history. TOURISM is the key word here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2017, 11:44 AM

1,786 posts, read 2,665,683 times
I don't live in Mississippi; I also don't understand how we can possibly believe that racism in Mississippi is worse than elsewhere. Racism is bad anywhere diversity exists, because humans always get all tribalistic on each other any time they're encountered with a behavior they don't readily understand. I'd go as far as saying that racism is probably worse in the Mid-Atlantic than in the South. And this Twitter "study" indicates that Atlanta is the second most racist city in the country. The only states where racism appears to not be a problem are the states where there is no racial diversity, like Wyoming, Montana, Vermont...

I imagine Jackson is in some ways like Detroit in the aspect that one of the biggest challenges facing Jackson is addressing the inaccurate perceptions outsiders have have the city. Jackson was never as large nor did it lose as many residents, but it experienced a demographic shift where anyone who had the means left the city, but this didn't leave behind a wasteland. It left behind a city with rich culture, established traditions, underused infrastructure, and so much potential looking forward.

If you ask me, I'd much rather move into an established neighborhood with history and budget priced homes than further contribute to the outrageously priced exurban sprawl that's making cities like Atlanta, Phoenix, and Nashville so undesirable.

Old 02-27-2017, 02:03 PM

168 posts, read 191,927 times
Alright everyone. Whoever started this thread needs to come in and close it because this guy has made us aware of our problems, explained where our problems came from, and explained how we are going to correct them all in the span of 3 forum posts.

Some top points that I would like to address.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thaddeus_Hewitt View Post
Well it is the truth..Mississippi has a very distorted past that has overshadowed what a great state it is. The lingers from Racist people still linger in the city and state as a whole today. To deny racism has anything to do with the population is foolish talk. Census stats like corrupt leaders,better job opportunities,etc etc are just sheeps clothing on the real issue.
So. The reason Jackson continues to fail is not because of corrupt leaders, terrible job opportunities, crumbling infrastructure, bottom-of-the-barrel schools, and a million other reasons that we could go into.. but one simple reason: RACISM. Short and simple. Remember that white folks: you are and will forever be the reason for all problems that this country faces.

Quote:
Mississippi is the only state as far as I'm concerned correct me if I'm wrong that still flies a confederate flag. People love to say oh it's heritage. Well, if it's your heritage that your ancestors terrorized millions of people and even killed them then I pray for your soul because heaven is not where you will end up.
And I'm going straight to hell because of what my ancestors did? Darn! Sounds like we need to start analyzing the history of all races and groups to find out what atrocities they committed decades/hundreds/thousands of years ago that we can blame them and make them responsible for: paying their share of reparations, etc. Crazy to think that even my 1.5 year old son is going straight to hell because of what his ancestors might have taken part in 100+ years ago.

Quote:
Oh I'm sorry I thought this was a public Internet forum not an English class. What I talk is truth and facts and am not afraid to be corrected if/when I am wrong. Me speaking about "GOD" and so on is truth and has nothing to do with theology but because you are one of several million people who are in this strong delusion of what you think a truth is that is in fact actually a lie I will Hip you on some much needed information.Theology is the study of the nature of "GOD" and religious belief. Theology gets its origins from Greek(Pagans)
THEO is a Greek GOD and LOGIA is a pagan origin as well which basically means words. When translated in English we get theoLOGY. Logy itself means the Study of something. So what exactly are you studying in Theology? which "GODs"? Keep in mind,Theology is based on Ancient Greek which in turn was polytheistic based on the assumption that there were many gods and goddesses. Even if you take away the Greek origins, theology still is a polytheistic discipline. Think about it.
I just wanted to include this one because of how simply awesome it is. THIS GUY TALKS TRUTH AND FACTS. But remember kids: all facts are irrelevant, they're just "sheeps clothing on the real issue"

Well. That was an entertaining read for my afternoon break.

Old 02-27-2017, 03:09 PM

1,031 posts, read 1,349,452 times
I'm going to the Atlanta forum to talk down to them for being so racist back in the day

Old 02-28-2017, 07:50 AM

155 posts, read 206,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwashington View Post
Alright everyone. Whoever started this thread needs to come in and close it because this guy has made us aware of our problems, explained where our problems came from, and explained how we are going to correct them all in the span of 3 forum posts.

Some top points that I would like to address.

So. The reason Jackson continues to fail is not because of corrupt leaders, terrible job opportunities, crumbling infrastructure, bottom-of-the-barrel schools, and a million other reasons that we could go into.. but one simple reason: RACISM. Short and simple. Remember that white folks: you are and will forever be the reason for all problems that this country faces.

And I'm going straight to hell because of what my ancestors did? Darn! Sounds like we need to start analyzing the history of all races and groups to find out what atrocities they committed decades/hundreds/thousands of years ago that we can blame them and make them responsible for: paying their share of reparations, etc. Crazy to think that even my 1.5 year old son is going straight to hell because of what his ancestors might have taken part in 100+ years ago.

I just wanted to include this one because of how simply awesome it is. THIS GUY TALKS TRUTH AND FACTS. But remember kids: all facts are irrelevant, they're just "sheeps clothing on the real issue"

Well. That was an entertaining read for my afternoon break.

Well you can ridicule me all you want but obviously I struck a nerve with some of you because you know it's true..Corruption and all that stuff that you all say happens Inn Jackson again is a cover up for the bigger picture racism. Least we forget whose in charge of the big government. Well, you will go straight to the Lake because let's be truthful here of course there's forgiveness and redemption for your sins but I highly doubt you have any decency to repent and so on all I have to say is the so called African Americans are paying for their forefathers sins which "GOD" says would be a curse FOREVER for all generations for disobedience BUT he said he would have mercy on his people the people he favored out of all his creation for They're his own possession out of all the peoples who are on the face of the earth. Basically what I'm saying is if the children of his chosen were punished there's not a doubt in my mind that other nation kids arent exempt from receiving a similar punishment as well but worse according to the word especially if they're outside of his chosen people. He compared other nations as foolish people and as dogs something the world calls his chosen people now. In the TRUE "GOD" design his people are above everyone else. However, again there of course is forgiveness and repentance but trust me no one is going to do either because when the truth comes out more and more ain't nobody going to want to accept it especially since what they believed to be true all these years is actually lies and blasphemy. I love your sarcasm by the way

Old 02-28-2017, 07:55 AM

155 posts, read 206,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madison2013 View Post
I'm going to the Atlanta forum to talk down to them for being so racist back in the day
LOL you will look like a fool too..Atlanta was the first southern city if not the only city to realize racism is bad for growth and business. Look at the two cities today, Jackson and Atlanta you tell me which one has dealt with their racism in an effective manner.

Old 02-28-2017, 08:24 AM

1,351 posts, read 2,128,379 times
Quote:
Corruption and all that stuff that you all say happens Inn Jackson again is a cover up for the bigger picture racism.
Clearly, you are more sophisticated and knowledgeable than everyone else here. You have been taught the Magic Word which explains everything.

We can't possibly look at actions and their subsequent (predictable) outcomes. That would require using the Scientific Method, which, since the concept is of European origin, must also be "racist".
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T09qlvMl1zI

White people are the problem when they are in power in a city or a state or a nation. When white people leave that city, or state, or nation, (even though it was built by their forebears) it's still their fault.

Why not just blame the Boogey Man?

Old 02-28-2017, 08:46 AM

1,296 posts, read 1,217,290 times
Don't a lot of White Southern Baptists and Pentecostals in Mississippi, Alabama, etc. still believe in the Curse of Ham and how Blacks are a cursed race? I had a white hallmate in my dorm from Northeast Mississippi who told me how his church and many others taught that, and how God put Blacks on earth as "Beasts of Burden" to serve the master races. If that's true, probably explains a lot about things.

Old 02-28-2017, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Well you can ridicule me all you want but obviously I struck a nerve with some of you because you know it's true..Corruption and all that stuff that you all say happens Inn Jackson again is a cover up for the bigger picture racism. Least we forget whose in charge of the big government. Well, you will go straight to the Lake because let's be truthful here of course there's forgiveness and redemption for your sins but I highly doubt you have any decency to repent and so on all I have to say is the so called African Americans are paying for their forefathers sins which "GOD" says would be a curse FOREVER for all generations for disobedience BUT he said he would have mercy on his people the people he favored out of all his creation for They're his own possession out of all the peoples who are on the face of the earth. Basically what I'm saying is if the children of his chosen were punished there's not a doubt in my mind that other nation kids arent exempt from receiving a similar punishment as well but worse according to the word especially if they're outside of his chosen people. He compared other nations as foolish people and as dogs something the world calls his chosen people now. In the TRUE "GOD" design his people are above everyone else. However, again there of course is forgiveness and repentance but trust me no one is going to do either because when the truth comes out more and more ain't nobody going to want to accept it especially since what they believed to be true all these years is actually lies and blasphemy. I love your sarcasm by the way

Old 02-28-2017, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuit_head View Post
Don't a lot of White Southern Baptists and Pentecostals in Mississippi, Alabama, etc. still believe in the Curse of Ham and how Blacks are a cursed race? I had a white hallmate in my dorm from Northeast Mississippi who told me how his church and many others taught that, and how God put Blacks on earth as "Beasts of Burden" to serve the master races. If that's true, probably explains a lot about things.
What does having a roommate that just so happens to be from Mississippi that just so happens to believe that stupidity have to do with anything?

How does that "explain a lot about things" ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson