Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson
 [Register]
Jackson Includes Jackson, Madison, Canton, Clinton, Byram, Pearl, Brandon, Richland
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2010, 12:07 PM

1,008 posts, read 3,392,525 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by covedweller View Post
...an effective police force would be a good start.
Many find this hard to believe, but crime dropped quite a bit in 2009 and we are on track to better in 2010. JPD is making strides to improve the department, but there is still work to be done. I would like to see them replace the few officers who give the whole department a bad rep, ie the recent rude officer who was caught on tape. I will say that all of the officers that I have dealt with, both personally and through business, have been efficient and great to work with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2010, 02:49 PM

235 posts, read 424,731 times
New arena long overdue in Jackson | clarionledger.com | The Clarion-Ledger

I thought this would be appropriate here. The article talks about how Jackson is one step closer to building an arena in downtown Jackson. I so hope this happens and is another catalyst for downtown Jackson.

Old 03-04-2010, 03:14 PM

190 posts, read 692,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonian View Post
I will say that all of the officers that I have dealt with, both personally and through business, have been efficient and great to work with.
Unfortunately, not all of us can say that. A few years back I had a vehicle broken into (they told me I could question people and let them know what I found out, after the officer complained for several minutes about how hot it was standing in a parking lot) and called in a case of arson (they never even showed up on that one). I dont have anything good to report about my experience with them.

Old 03-04-2010, 03:34 PM

1,008 posts, read 3,392,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by covedweller View Post
Unfortunately, not all of us can say that. A few years back I had a vehicle broken into (they told me I could question people and let them know what I found out, after the officer complained for several minutes about how hot it was standing in a parking lot) and called in a case of arson (they never even showed up on that one). I dont have anything good to report about my experience with them.
Sorry to hear that. All of my experiences have occurred over the past 18 months, so maybe they're improving overall. I wonder if McMillan had a positive effect when he was providing the dual-role of sheriff/chief? Whatever the reason, I hope they continue to move in the right direction.

Old 03-11-2010, 11:41 AM

114 posts, read 223,374 times
I would like to see that the city of Jackson and rest of Mississippi to experience the wonders that are found around the world, and improve its racial relationships. Nevertheless, I would like to see that Jackson, MS have and enjoy more beside local items.

First, I would like to see that Jackson,MS have more parks, supermarkets, museums (ie natural history museums) that display items from around the world, and conservatories, glass houses that display plants and some animals from around the world. Second, I would like to see that the Jackson-Hinds Public Library system be improved by having recent and up-to-date books on various subjects such as nature,history, science,and career. Finally, I want to see that the Jackson public transportation system to run during the weekends and evening time periods.

Have fun and faith in God.

Last edited by grasshopper_60619; 03-11-2010 at 11:42 AM.. Reason: Addition

Old 03-11-2010, 07:20 PM

I think a light rail would be wonderful for Jackson. I imagine quite a few lines. A state street line that goes from Meadowbrook to downtown to somewhere in south Jackson. I think one that goes to the airport would be great and one that goes to a revamped Metrocenter from downtown to get us started. I also think one down Northside drive that could somehow connect to the Medical Center and downtown would be great to start Jackson off. Plus, light rail is believed to help eco development because it shows the city is committed to those areas.

Old 03-14-2010, 07:35 AM

165 posts, read 600,959 times
I am from Memphis and lived in Jackson, Mississippi for a period of time and actually liked it there, and wouldn't have minded to have found a girl there and live in some house in Madison or Ridgeland or where ever.

Saying that, Jackson just lacks something, and it is hard to put a finger on it. It's just not a cosmopolitan type of place. It's not a "party" kind of place like even Memphis would be. There is good eating, good shopping, plenty of churches and whatever, I don't know, you know?

I will say that the Ross Barnett Resovior and the Natchez Trace are very pretty places. Somebody mentioned gambling, and Vicksburg is only 45 minutes away. Vicksburg is a place that needs a revitalization. It could be a pretty community and it just isn't.

Jackson's not a bad town. It's just not the land of excitement. Like Mississippi itself.

Old 03-17-2010, 10:37 PM

580 posts, read 1,422,082 times
I see us sharing a smaller version of Memphis and sharing some characteristics New Orleans. As you know it took a minute before Performa Ent was able to revitalize Beale Street. Jackson went down that same path with Farish Street and n ow they are trying to regain that image.

Old 03-18-2010, 01:17 PM

I can't wait until Farish Street is finished. I think it is going to be a huge boost for Jackson, especially for young and legal people in the area to have a strip of clubs to just have fun. I wish we could have gotten a real Dave and Busters for Farish, but hopefully the knockoff will be just as good.

Old 03-18-2010, 01:33 PM

When I said legal, I meant people of drinking age. I reread my last post, and I was afraid that didn't come through properly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson