Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2011, 12:56 PM

1 posts, read 1,042 times

Advertisements

[FONT=Arial][SIZE=2][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][SIZE=2]I work at a remediation site in the Jacksonville area. We have to regrow 8 acres by the time the project is complete. Since the site is a contamination site that is being cleaned, I can only plant seeds as most soil (potted plants, seedlings, etc.) contains small amounts of arsenic which are above our action levels. So I'm limited as to what I can use to repopulate the fields. We basically want to return to as natural a state as possible (i.e. wild field). Currently, all we're planting is grass in areas that have been backfilled, but I know that there are better/faster growing native weeds that would also help with erosion control, etc. Is there anyone you know of that sells native, north Florida weed seeds? Or is there such a thing? Or do we just let nature take its course?[/SIZE][/FONT]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2011, 02:08 PM

2,560 posts, read 6,514,714 times
Have you contacted a hydroseed company, such as Florida Carter? Hydroseeding

Old 03-22-2011, 02:54 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,290,999 times
Sunflowers are an excellent natural bioremediator. And relatively cheap.

Using sunflowers to clean lead out of soil has become popular in activist gardener circles, thanks in part to widely-publicized efforts by Common Ground volunteers in post-Katrina New Orleans. This past fall I visited two current phytoremediation ("fido-ree-mee-diation") projects, and spoke with one of the founders of the 2006 Common Ground sunflower campaign. These activists are tackling soil toxicity head-on by growing sunflowers in lead-contaminated soil, harvesting them after the plants have sucked up some of the heavy metal, and disposing of them like hazardous waste. With every crop the soil gets cleaner.

LEWD PUNK RIOT!: Sunflowers love Heavy Metal

&

The Orleans Renewal Garden was a City-sponsored environmental remediation and public outreach initiative that provided public training on soil bioremediation techniques at a garden on Oretha Castle Haley boulevard. This research program studied the potential of remediation of contaminated soil using sunflowers and other plants suitable for phyto-remediation. The office worked with diverse City partners to implement multiple remediation research sites.

Welcome to GreeNOLA

&

If you want to get technical:
Civil Engineering, The University of Akron
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville