Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2009, 12:54 PM

6 posts, read 37,213 times

Advertisements

One of the shows was hosted by Dino Summerlin, a DJ on WAPE.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2009, 04:09 PM

34 posts, read 213,720 times
Rubberleggers....This was the late 60's...the HayDay for the T-Bird...The Kings Inn Restaurant was THE place to dine...nest to Sandys' Steer Room at the old Farmers Market. And I don't remember the name of the bars at the Sea Turtle...they had 2 of them...one downstairs was a Tiki Type bar and the one upstairs was a kind od disco themed place...both had exceptional ladies waiting on the tables !!

Old 09-30-2009, 12:01 PM

3,770 posts, read 10,571,881 times
Canadian Football Hall of Famer Ray Nettles dies at 60 after cancer battle - Winnipeg Free Press (http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sports/football/Canadian-Football-Hall-of-Famer-Ray-Nettles-dies-at-60-after-cancer-battle-62748182.html?viewAllComments=y - broken link)
Quote:
Great football star who is from here in Jacksonville,Florida died Tuesday of cancer. He was a star linebacker at Englewood High School,then at the University of Tennessee,drafted by the Miami Dolphins but decided to go to the Canadian Football League (CFL) dead at the age of 60.

His greatest achievement was accepting Jesus Christ as Lord and Saviour.

Last edited by noland123; 09-30-2009 at 12:37 PM..

Old 09-30-2009, 04:20 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,555,533 times
This song is gone but not forgotten

YouTube - Im From Duval + text "FROMDUVAL 4" to 69937 by: Tal-Kin Trees

Old 10-01-2009, 02:38 PM

2 posts, read 17,475 times
Smile Re: Surfboards by Califano/ Dive Shop on Beach Blvd.

Hi Everyone,

I'm alive and WELL!. I am doing "High Tech Research" Deveopment in Tallahassee, Florida. I was in the Califano Surfboard business for a long
time and appreciated my faithful customers. The Dive shop, "Underwater Designers Company" did very well for over 30 years; and again, I appreciated my loyal customers/students who enrolled at my college
on St. Johns Avenue for certification.

I look forward to talking with my previous customers/students.

Best regards,
Paul J. Califano, Owner & President
Underwater Designers and National Underwater Educators
13637 Beach Blvd.
Jacksonville, Florida

Old 10-01-2009, 05:11 PM

6 posts, read 42,885 times
Interesting message board. Many of the memories of the 50s-60s at the beach have been covered and here are a few more that I recall. The Beaches theatre, Arnots Bakery on 1st street next to the tennis courts and the Pure Oil service station where gas was 19 cents a gallon. Hanging out at the Surf Maid drive-in after the football games and watching the dancers while jukebox played rock & roll. Once in a while someone would get on the roof as the cars drove into the Surf Maid and entertain us! The pink and green Band Shell next to the Life Guard station with the 5 cents a play jukebox for all who wanted to do the “beach bop” to the hits of the day by Chuck Berry, Little Richard, Fats Domino, Elvis and Jerry Lee Lewis. The Boardwalk, Ferris wheels and the all night billiards hall upstairs over the penny arcade for a game of 8 balls. Several jukeboxes outside of the hot dog stands along the Boardwalk. I recall “Love Letters in the Sand” by Pat Boone. Dances on the old downtown pier. The white painted Drive-in movie near the pizza restaurant at the corner of Penman and Beach blvd. The Steak House next to the beach theatre where we would meet after the local dances. Listening to the Big Ape radio station while we cruised up and down the beach at all hours of the day and night. Deans Studio and Floyds 5 & 10 where we got our banana splits and cherry cokes. Burger King on Beach Blvd, Killis Motel and restaurant around 4th or 5th avenue south next to Weimers Lodge where I spent many a night during the summer. All night pizza parties with the 45 rpm records. The community center/library complex in town where the senior proms were held. I was too young to get in but would stand in the doorway on the Beach Blvd side and watch the older kids dance. I was kicked out of a dance at the Fletcher auditorium for doing the “twist” with a girl from New Jersey. Checker’s “Twist” in 1960 was new up north (I was living in Virginia at the time) and had not made its way south to the beach area so the chaperons were shocked at what we were doing! The kids loved it. The Outside Outside teen club near Jacksonville where our band played on the weekends (Shink & Charlie Morris on guitar and a pretty girl singer whose name I can’t recall but we won a dance contest) Sonny’s Lake Forest Lounge on Lem Turner, the Office Lounge on Phillips and the infamous Mother’s Lounge with the (Wednesday night fights) where our bands played and had some fun times. The Holiday Inn Rooftop Lounge on the beach. Strickland’s Seafood Restaurant. The main street Krystal in Jax where the cars cruised all weekend. There was a dive-in on the ramp to the beach next to doctor Cone’s office across from the life guard station for a while that was a popular meeting place. There was a road across the intercoastal bridge on the way to Jax that teens would meet to race their roadsters. Much the same as the movie “American Graffiti”. I am glad I was a teenager in that era. Some good times, fun music, good friends and good memories. Jax Bch was a fun place for many teens and tourists in those days!

Old 10-02-2009, 05:37 AM

838 posts, read 1,875,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSAXL View Post
Interesting message board. Many of the memories of the 50s-60s at the beach have been covered and here are a few more that I recall. The Beaches theatre, Arnots Bakery on 1st street next to the tennis courts and the Pure Oil service station where gas was 19 cents a gallon. Hanging out at the Surf Maid drive-in after the football games and watching the dancers while jukebox played rock & roll. Once in a while someone would get on the roof as the cars drove into the Surf Maid and entertain us! The pink and green Band Shell next to the Life Guard station with the 5 cents a play jukebox for all who wanted to do the “beach bop” to the hits of the day by Chuck Berry, Little Richard, Fats Domino, Elvis and Jerry Lee Lewis. The Boardwalk, Ferris wheels and the all night billiards hall upstairs over the penny arcade for a game of 8 balls. Several jukeboxes outside of the hot dog stands along the Boardwalk. I recall “Love Letters in the Sand” by Pat Boone. Dances on the old downtown pier. The white painted Drive-in movie near the pizza restaurant at the corner of Penman and Beach blvd. The Steak House next to the beach theatre where we would meet after the local dances. Listening to the Big Ape radio station while we cruised up and down the beach at all hours of the day and night. Deans Studio and Floyds 5 & 10 where we got our banana splits and cherry cokes. Burger King on Beach Blvd, Killis Motel and restaurant around 4th or 5th avenue south next to Weimers Lodge where I spent many a night during the summer. All night pizza parties with the 45 rpm records. The community center/library complex in town where the senior proms were held. I was too young to get in but would stand in the doorway on the Beach Blvd side and watch the older kids dance. I was kicked out of a dance at the Fletcher auditorium for doing the “twist” with a girl from New Jersey. Checker’s “Twist” in 1960 was new up north (I was living in Virginia at the time) and had not made its way south to the beach area so the chaperons were shocked at what we were doing! The kids loved it. The Outside Outside teen club near Jacksonville where our band played on the weekends (Shink & Charlie Morris on guitar and a pretty girl singer whose name I can’t recall but we won a dance contest) Sonny’s Lake Forest Lounge on Lem Turner, the Office Lounge on Phillips and the infamous Mother’s Lounge with the (Wednesday night fights) where our bands played and had some fun times. The Holiday Inn Rooftop Lounge on the beach. Strickland’s Seafood Restaurant. The main street Krystal in Jax where the cars cruised all weekend. There was a dive-in on the ramp to the beach next to doctor Cone’s office across from the life guard station for a while that was a popular meeting place. There was a road across the intercoastal bridge on the way to Jax that teens would meet to race their roadsters. Much the same as the movie “American Graffiti”. I am glad I was a teenager in that era. Some good times, fun music, good friends and good memories. Jax Bch was a fun place for many teens and tourists in those days!
JSAXL, you're about a decade before me; I moved to Jax in '68 at age 13 ... those are some great memories you listed.

Old 10-02-2009, 06:53 AM

6 posts, read 42,885 times
Thanks Parker! I hope to rerturn to the beach area one day. Always liked the beach life style.

Old 10-03-2009, 06:15 AM

4 posts, read 24,127 times
I registered on this site just to post on this thread. I moved to other cities and states after Jax many, many years ago and only recently returned for a high school reunion at Episcopal. Things have changed and not for the better in most cases (the whole Beach, Atlantic and University Blvd corridors between downtown/St. Nicholas to around St Johns.Bluff seems very rundown now), but I'll stay on topic for this thread.

I was born and raised in Jax in 1961, and grew up in a neighborhood called Killarney Shores off Beach Blvd. it is across Beach Blvd from the Grove Park road, and behind the boat access area. it was a very tight neighborhood, and everyoen knew and talked with everyone. All the kids played sandlot football and baseball, there were community picnics, things you just don't see much of nowadays.

I worked part-time summers in the 70s at the Pizza Hut which used to be there long ago; now it is some biker bar. Florida-bonded pools seems to still be around though. Our neighbor Jim Almond who owned Jimmy's Chicken is long gone, I forget what it was even before that.

The Midway drive-in was right next to our neighborhood on its east flank; we had a treehouse on the western edge over the fence so we could see, and spliced a speaker to get sound and just ran the wires over the drive-in roadway at nights. I also remember taking my parent's huge green cadillac with the white top and being so excited to make out with my high school girlfriend parked at the movie. It originally had one screen which faced away from Beach Blvd with the big M-I-D-W-A-Y letters on it; later in the early 70 I think they added the second screen you could actually see as you drove by on the road; sometimes some pretty racy Skinemax-level scenes would be playing it was hilarious people would drive by reaaaal slow. The day they tore down Midway was a hug sad day for nostalgia. That old bowling alley (which itself was much newer than Midway) is still languishing there today.

Across the street where some strip stores have been for a long time, was a huge forested set of trails we would ride and race out Suzukis and Yamahas in. We also rode our cycles around the huge man-made lake between our neighborhood and Hogan Road, called the sand mines.

Places and things I remember most:

Beach Blvd
- the pony rides, next to Uncle John's Pancake House
- Putt-Putt, where I first saw and played Asteroids (they had added the game room by then). The last hole where you had to hit it hard and it went into the white brick wall and spit out the big tube; if you made a hole-in-one they woudl give you a free large Coke.
- Winn-Dixie was the local grocery store just past where Southside Blvd went overhead. There was also a drugstore on the far end.
- the drive-through liquor store building standing out to the side of Winn-Dxie where some of the most obviously-drunk people would stop in for more WHILE DRIVING.
- Rick's Suzuki dealership down near the ranger station tower where imy dad bought me my first motorcycle (a 125cc).
- There was no St. Johns.Bluff Road, and no real cross-street at all until you hit San Pablo Road near the intracoastal. Beach Blvd was all forest and two-lanes (not yet four lanes) from around where St John's would eventually be to San Pablo.
- The Par 3 golf course and the little amusement park nextdoor with the train that would circle the area through the woods. YOu could still see the tracks and the little bridge it went over a few feet of creek for many years even after it closed.
- The Alhambra dinner theatre, which I guess is still around. It pre-dated FCCJ being across from it. In fact, it was the only notable buliding I recall when I was very young when it was two lanes.
- The two-lane drawbridge at the intracoastal.
- Nick's Pizza in the green plaster deco building at the beach.
- Homestead the original "real" one. And the Copper-Top Pub in the front of the house. The barber's chair they installed to lean you back for upside-down margeuritas where they poured it all into your mouth. Watching some guy try to break the "record" of 12 upside-downers and stagger outside and heave.
- Sunrise surf shop.
- Bono's BBQ.
- The white lifeguard station at the end of Beach Blvd.

Beaches area
- Crossroads down past Ponte Vedra, where I would go at dawn to surf with friends. Also Hannah Park at the boundary with Mayport was a big place to go surf. The old Jax pier as well. And "The Poles" which were the remains of the very old Atlantic Beach Pier.
- Aqua East surf shop, the original small store on the east end of that little strip of stores, and the phone recording each morning to hear about the waves to see if we should haul ourselves out early for the "morning glass". I can still hear his recorded messages: "This is Sandy Forsyth of Aqua East surf shop in Atlantic Beach...".
- Silver's drug store (where Sundog diner later would be). Getting breakfast or lunch there in our wet trunks and bare feet - no one cared.
- Pete's bar, enough said
- The Sea Turtle, Holiday Inn and HoJos were the only hotels on the entire stretch of beach. Everything else was residential. Then they built Pelican Point hi-rise and it was so out-of-place. Nowadays the whole beach is COVERED in neutral stucco-faced monstrosities.
- Breakfast on the Jax pier in that old green bulding on it.
- Watching fishermen on the end of the pier get mad at us surfers for messing up their fishing (on big days where the break would actually be out near the end of the pier) and once in a while trying to actually hit someone with a sinker.
- Casa Marina live music.
- Shuckers!
- I remember when Ragtime opened. And Sundog Diner. I hated Sundog for the longest time since they were where our beloved Silver's used to be.
- the old Neptune theatre where we would also go in our trunks in the daytime.
- Lum's hotdogs.

Atlantic Blvd/Arlington Expressway
- Again, two-lane all the way in to Craig Airfield from the beach.
- the old two-lane drawbrige, which got replaced long before the Beach Blvd conterpart did. I remember how high it felt when my parents and I first went over the new two-lane span. It would be years before they built the other two lane section .
- There was nothing all the way to Craig Airfield similar to how forested Beach Blvd was.
- Cycleback Park! I would go with friends and take our cycles (or you could just rent some there) by the hour and motocross your heart out. Off San Pablo Road just north of Atlantic.
- Shogun japanese Teppan-yaki grill tables (my first of that style, later followed by Mikado in Baymeadows and Chizu at the beach which is the only one of them still going). Bobby, who started Chizu, used to be one of the best of the tabletop cooks at Shogun.
- Regency Square. I remember it more from its original size and shape. I remember when May Cohens and Penneys were the ends. And Annie-Tiques used to be in a building in the parking lot of its own. Then they added the whole western side. Then they renamed May Cohens to Maison Blanche or somesuch.
- Orange tree and Mr. Dunderbachs were the best ever. I even remember what I used to always get at Dunderbachs: The Red Baron, and we woudl always sit at the counter near the back. It always smelled like a German deli in there.
- The Regency theatre in the parking lot behind Penneys was originally a single large screen. Then they split it into the Regency Twin theatres whre I saw Star Wars premier in 1977. I was also there when they commemorated the time capsule they used to have buried in that little garden-like area as you walked in. It used to say "To be opened in the year 2000" on the stone face. And Ialways used to think "Wow, that is a forever long way off." I have no idea what ever happened to it or if they opened it or moved it or what, since the entire building long ago got torn down once the multiplex replaced it.
- There used to be very little around the mall proper. Bennigans and later Darryl's (where I think Olive Garden stand now across the street from the mall) were very popular. Darryl's was a small chain out of N.C I think, and they had awesome ice cream drinks.
- The Phoenix near Century 21. And T-Birds (I think that was it off Atlantic, before they moved to Baymeadows later in that mall they built).
- Chi-Chi's mexican off the Arlington Expressway, cheap marguerita Wednesdays!
- CJ's, Calico Jacks, in that small strip of stores I think it was called Expressway Mall. It was the townies version of Shuckers but a lot smaller.

Southside Blvd/Baymeadows
- Southside Blvd always had those service roads from as far back as I recall. I remember when they built the overpass over the Arlington Expressway (as Atlantic Blvd became that) to the mall. Before that you had to stop in both directions at lights.
- Southside Blvd was two lanes from Beach Blvd onward toward Deerwood. There was next to NOTHING out there early on. No apartment complexes at all, just Deerwood's entrance off the two-lane road. Later they added the four-lanes but they did it in stages so there was this wierd stretch where it constricted to two lanes which lasted for years.
- 1980s: Baymeadows also had a Darryl's in a two-story brick building, no idea what is there now or if anything is. It seems like the sort of building that would end up being a Spaghetti Factory or something.
- 1980s: Happy hour at the Holiday Inn on Baymeadows Road, they had a buffet ot appetizers and very cheap drinks.
- ealry 1990s: There was also some outdoor Riverwalk-like partying along Baymeadows Road but I can't recall the name of the plce; it was either Italian or Mexican with a patio out front. Jax sure loved its happy hour deals and "places to be". Jax was small enough where you would recognize a lot of people who would go out often, even if you didn't actually know them or their names.
- There was no overpass over the train tracks just past Phillips Highway back in the early 70s. They built that to stop accidents and having to stop dangerously close to the trains.
- Phillips Highway had a mall at the corner of Phillips Hwy (i.e. Hwy 1) and Atlantic Blvd. In it was a theatre where I saw the original Heavy Metal animated movie (the same one they make fun of on an episode of South Park). The music was and still is awesome. I seem to recall some popular nightspot in that complex too but it escapes me now.

Downtown
- The "circuit" of the 1980s: Harbormasters, Riverwalk, The Landing.
- The Landing was in its early years very popular, alive and cool. Fat Tuesdays, Hooters, L&N Seafood Grill, Annie-Tiques (moved there once the standalone building in Regency Square got torn down, and later ended up in that mall in Baymeadows).
- The Coliseum and its pot-hazed concerts. You name the band, they were at The Coliseum at some point.
- Led Zeppelin at The Coliseum in 1973. Apart from my older teenage friends I went with, its hard to find others who were there. The best band in history IMO. Years later in 1988, seeing Robert Plant tour and when they suddenly played the notes to Communication Breakdown a few songs into the concert you would think the roof was going to cave in form the screaming. They also played In The Evening, and it was surreal.
- Van Halen on their opening album tour in the Civic Auditorium. People went nuts when they played Running with the Devil.
- The Gator Bowl and its all-metal stands. When people stomped their feet the whole stadium would rattle. It was always like being at the best college stadium.
- The Florida-Georgia (yes, not Georgia-Florida games. Watching Herschel Walker tear up the Gators 44-0 one year.

Miscellaneous
- going out on the U.S.S. Saratoga with my parents when I was a little boy (early 70s?), when they took military and civilian personnel employees and their families on a cruise out to the ocean and back, it was unbelievable to walk on that carrier deck.
- Taking the ferry to get to Fernadina or anything north of Jax beach. That little ferry. I remember waiting for it many times. Way before the Dames Point Bridge, you had to either take that ferry over, or go all the way around downtown Jax on I-95 to get to the airport or go north.
- Strickland's and Parson's seafood restaurants. The Rite Spot. The original locations out there near the ferry.
- As the original poster said, Gulf Life was the tallest bulding long ago. It was always strange to see a downtown skyline unbalanced by a very tall buliding on the non-downtown side of the river.
- Also as he said, they had painted the main bridges the team colors of FSU and UF: I think the Matthews Bridge was FSU maroon, the Main Street Bridge gator blue, and the Acosta Bridge orange. The Hart Bridge was still Green (I guess for Miami?). I think those are right going from memories.
- The Buckman Bridge being built and having a new loop around that whole side of the city. Between not having the Buckman or the Dame Point Bridges, you just don't know how hard it was to get around.
- Finally, I remember when toll booths no longer were open. They bulldozed some of them out of the roadways at night so people wouldn't try to fly through those concrete lanes without having to stop any longer. It was so strange seeing the entire toll concourse at the base of the Matthews Bridge gone.

It was fun just going over these thoguhts to write them down here. Good thread!

Last edited by redgiant; 10-03-2009 at 06:37 AM..

Old 10-03-2009, 10:01 AM

838 posts, read 1,875,839 times
Redgiant, fantastic post. I moved here in '68; I'm 7 years older, and remember most of your memories. I lived in Alderman Park, a couple of blocks west of Parker High ... now I live in Arlingwood, a couple of blocks east of Parker.

Some comments on your post:
- Fla Bonded built a pool for us in '69 ... yes, they're still there in the same Bldg
- Oh, do I remember the Midway ... it's possible I parked in the back row with my girl a few times ... those of us in Arlington also went to the University Drive-in ...
- you Southsiders played in the woods & sand off of SS Blvd; we Arlingtonites played in the dunes & woods behind Regency
- played at that Putt-Putt many times ... are there any around in the US today?
- had my first ever birdie at the Par Three course
- the Alhambra is still there ... it just recently went thru an ownership change ... the new owner is going to try to keep it open ... we'll see ...
- Bono's now has about 8-10 locations ... it's my favorite restaurant ... the original is still open on Beach ... Harvey Green is still the main cook
- we went to Crossroads many times ... you wouldn't recognize Ponte Vedra anymore ... mostly big $$$ homes all the way to Vilano
- we hung out at Access Three at Seminole Beach when you could drive on the beach ... we camped out there sometimes ... now it's all Hannah Park
- I remember Aqua East ... and Sandy's surf reports
- Pete's is still there ... and hasn't changed a bit
- the Sea Turtle Bldg is still standing ... it was renamed/remodeled just a couple of years ago
- I loved Lum's ... best onion rings ever ...
- In '72, several friends & I rode our bikes down mostly wooded Atl. Blvd to the beach and on to St Aug ... can't imagine a group of teens trying that today
- back in the late 60's-early '70's, we thought Regency was huge ... then it was doubled ... Sunday lunches at Picadilly ... checking out the "risque" stuff at Spencer's ... messing with the cool furniture in Castro's Convertibles ... there are still Orange Trees around ... same greasy pizza ... I don't expect Regency to last much longer ... I've been in the Sears there recently ... it was like a ghost town ...
- the Rocking Chair Theater was great ... even when they split that big screen into 2 separate theaters, the screens were still bigger than anything around today ... went to many midnight movies there ...
- Bennigan's just closed a few years ago ... the bldg is empty ... I ate at Darryl's many times ... very unique multi-level interior ...
- the Expressway Mall had a Publix, Eckerd's, pet store, ice cream shop ... and there was a theater in the tiny mall ... now it's a big empty lot of weeds ... every couple of years, there's a rumor of something going in there
- I was probably at that Zepplin concert in '73 ... saw lots of groups at the old coliseum: Grand Funk, Uriah Heep, Three Dog Night, Jethro Tull ...
- my wife worked for the group trying to "Save the Saratoga" here in Jax ... they wanted to turn it into a floating Naval museum ...
- the ferry is still operating ... great seafood restaurants near both docks

- reminiscing is a blast ... what a great time it was to grow up in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville