Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2008, 10:13 AM

353 posts, read 1,148,585 times

Advertisements

I worked with a fella here in SC who told me his brother lived in Jacksonville in the 60's and 70's. He said at he time he lived on Baymeadows road.....it was all farm land.... said it was out in the sticks kinda..lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2008, 05:10 AM

1 posts, read 13,795 times
Default bananas

Big Daddys converted into a club called Bananas at one point, I think this was just prior to it becoming an underage club.
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
Yeah, I guess it is safe to fess up now (the statue of limitations has well expired): but I was also one of those underaged drinkers that successfully snuck into places like Big Daddy's. I was a military dependant, and back in the day Florida law said that anyone under the age of 21 with a military ID could drink. Well, what the law intended was for active duty military under 21 to be able to drink; but most of the bouncers at these places weren't the sharpest knives in the drawer and most times I was able to con my way in. "Yep, I'm 17, but I have a military ID card and that sign right there says anyone under the age of 21 with a military ID can drink!" Worked like a charm!

Well, it's been a long time since I snuck into a bar; and, unless my memory is failing me, wasn't the building that was Big Daddy's later an 'Under 21' place? I am not sure if that was when it was called Confetti's then or this was sometime after that; but a couple of years later when I was 22 or so, my best friend from high school was dating some "twinkie" (for lack of a better term) he had met at the beach and we had to meet up with her there one evening. It was quite amusing having to sneak in because we were too old! When we were inside looking for her, there was a cop walking around making and when I saw him, I pushed my buddy into the men's room kinda as a joke. Well, the cop came in to see why we were avoiding him and we "fessed up" that we were too old to be in there. He laughed and told us to stay out of trouble.

Oddly enough, when I was stationed in Idaho I was talked into going to a "club" by some buds. I had just returned from living in the UK and didn't know where to hang out on the weekends. We get into this place and it is all smokey and dark, and I belly up to the bar to order a drink. The "bartender" nixes my request, saying they didn't have any alcohol. I asked him why and he replied that it was a 'teen club.' Only then did I look closer and realize that the patrons did appear to be quite young. I beat a hasty retreat but did end up talking to a very nice young lady in the parking lot. She still was way too young for me at the time (I was around 22 and she 17); but being new to Idaho I was happy just to chat with one of the "locals." Needless to say, I quickly learned where the "adult" bar scene was and kept all my activities to that area.

I'm glad to see that this thread is still hanging on, as I said I no longer live in Jax but still have fond memories of the place. I get back every now and then to visit my mother; but find the city has changed just too damn much for me to feel "at home." I understand that you can't stop "progress," but I like to remember when Jacksonville still had something of a small town feel to it. It was a great place to grow up, and I appreciate everyone's inputs in helping me remember how things used to be...

Cheers! M2

Old 05-23-2008, 07:31 PM

2 posts, read 17,600 times
Default Real locals in Jax, and over 60

I grew up in Miramar. Guess what, bought the house from my mom. We've been here since 1950. OK The "duck pond" in San Jose. Miramar: Normans Pharmacy (pinball and frozen cokes), Mc Creas Hardware, Petersons 5 & 10, Coley Walker, Piners, Tommie's barber shop, Saki Shop, If you're at least 60, there was a BBQ restaurant where the new section of Oaklawn is. Circa 1956. What was their name? Drag racing at the old Switzerland airport, who was the "Ice Man." Buying beer underage at Wilburs in Switzerland. My brothers 1968"Goat." My dads '65 Chevelle (that we dragged raced in Switz.) The Armory on Liberty Street, Patrol dances. Pt La Vista when it was woods. Underground forts in 1962. HAB Tadpole baseball, Someone else out there know's what I'm talking about, send a respone!

Walter Newsom

Old 05-23-2008, 08:04 PM

147 posts, read 559,158 times
Great memories! Does anyone remember the name of the restaurant on top of Ivey's (now the JEA building) that made a slow 360 degree turn? I remember getting dressed up to shop downtown and eating lunch there as a young girl.

Remember Penny Burger at Herschel & St. Johns Avenue and the Winn Dixie that was there in front of the Commander Apartments? And the Ray Ware Hardware building was an A&P? Remember going through Skinner's Dairys for your milk, etc? Actually, I remember that Skinners even delivered too..YIKES!

Anyone remember The Grand Fallon, Richards, Mother Earth...and do you still call The West Inn Monty's??? And if anyone calls it The West End you just smile to yourself because they JUST really don't have a clue? Anyone remember Anjo's bakery on St. Johns Ave where the screen door still exists?

Remember when Roosevelt was a Mall instead of a Square and buying 45's at Hoyts? When your nice clothes came from Furchotts? Remember Easter dresses and white gloves? Getting your hair cut at Joseph & Charles and getting your 1st scooter skirt at The Hobbie Horse? What fun!

Old 05-25-2008, 11:23 AM

27 posts, read 159,128 times
Default Patti's, Denny Morans, Gigis, Smittys...

Here's some of my older post here and some answers I got to it, it should fit in great on this thread!
What happened to Patti's Italian Restaurant?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------From Times Union, 2001

Patti's restaurant was a Jacksonville dining landmark for more than 40 years. Established in 1951 by Peter and Mary Patti when Beach Boulevard was still unpaved, it was one of the first restaurants in Jacksonville to spotlight Italian cuisine.

When the restaurant first opened, the menu featured regional fare, but Peter Patti would give away samples of lasagna and other Italian dishes to intrigue his guests.

Patti's was known for white linen tablecloths, properly set tables and a well-trained wait staff, as well as for its salad dressing and Boneless Chicken Parmesan. It was also a throwback to a time when restaurants made food rather than just cooked it.

They baked their bread, made their own sausage, simmered tomato sauce for hours long before the doors opened at 5 p.m. Tuesday through Sunday.

It was this labor-intensive tradition and refusal to cut corners that finally forced Patti's to close on June 19, 1994.

Thanks for the information. I used to work there in the 70's and was friends with the Patti's son and daughter-in-law, Pat & Carol. Wish I could find some pictures, menus and etc. from there. There were 2 waitress' that had been there a long time, Totsie and Joyce. Every Sunday all the employees would have Fried Chicken or spaghetti before work. They always fed us before we opened every day. lol

I also used to work at Waldz Restaurant (Marilyn & her sister Ellie and their husbands Stu and Eddie were the owners) on University Blvd that was next to the Thunderbird on Arlington Expressway,(Great NY style cheesecake and blintzes) Ellie and Stu's son worked there and made all the chessecakes and pastries... Roland's Red Barn BBQ at Atlantic Blvd by the beach, Tony's Pizza & Angelo's Italian Restaurants on University which were owned by the same people, Andy and Nadine.

Anyone remember Denny Moran's on Beach Blvd. that later became the White Elephant that was owned by Leonard Doctors? I worked there too night shift...lots of people getting off work from the Thunderbird and Gigi's down the road would come in. When it was the White Elephant, Hans Tanzler and a lot of other city employees came in....Chivas Regal served in coffe cups anyone? lol Nick's Pizza on Beach Blvd. at Jax Beach? Parson's Seafood at Mayport? Smitty's and Castaways Clubs on 1st St. in Jax Beach? Penny's Drive In on 3rd St. in Jax Beach that had hamburgers similar to Krystals? Milligan's on Mayport Road?

I wonder if any of these places are still open, would love to hear from anyone that worked at these places or went there. Thanks for any info.

[+] Rate this post positively

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by steppen
Thanks for the information. I used to work there in the 70's and was friends with the Patti's son and daughter-in-law, Pat & Carol. Wish I could find some pictures, menus and etc. from there.

I also used to work at Waldz Restaurant (Marilyn & her sister Ellie and their husbands Stu and Eddie were the owners) on University Blvd that was next to the Thunderbird on Arlington Expressway, Roland's Red Barn BBQ at Atlantic Blvd by the beach, Tony's Pizza & Angelo's Italian Restaurants on University which were owned by the same people, Andy and Nadine.

Anyone remember Denny Moran's on Beach Blvd. that later became the White Elephant that was owned by Leonard Doctors? Nick's Pizza on Beach Blvd. at Jax Beach? Parson's Seafood at Mayport? Smitty's and Castaways Clubs on 1st St. in Jax Beach? Penny's Drive In on 3rd St. in Jax Beach that had hamburgers similar to Krystals? Milligan's on Mayport Road?

I wonder if any of these places are still open, would love to hear from anyone that worked at these places or went there. Thanks for any info.

I've been to Tony's and Angelo's on University boulevard a couple of times and thought their food was good.I believe their sign said closed after 33 years of service and thanked their customers for all of those wonderful years. I now frequent Nero's Restaurant up on University and Fort Caroline road
and they have good food as well. I have been to Parson's Restaurant and loved the seafood as well as the fishing village of Mayport.I'm not sure whether that restaurant is open or not ,because I haven't been to Mayport in a long time. I've been to Damnifino's Restaurant which used to be pretty close to Parson's Restaurant.I knew the owner of Damnifino's ,he made the news locally,he was a victim of a brutal murder slaying.His body with several other bodies were found dead in a trailer in Mayport.
Nick's Pizza which was at Jax Beach closed quite a few years ago and is now a French Restaurant.I heard it was a good restaurant 30 or 40years ago .I've heard horror stories in recent years from waiters who quit in the middle of their shift because they couldn't stand the owner and how bad the employees were treated there.The waiters used to come across the street to the Dunkin Donuts,a place I used to patronize, and tell me about the treatment from the owner.
Milligan's they tore down at Mayport road and Atlantic Boulevard to put a flyover ramp to make it easier for Navy traffic going to the base.I don't know much about Penny's Drive-in, except for the fact there are no drive-in restaurants at Jax Beach anymore.
Denny Moran's is now St.John's Seafood on Beach Boulevard .I've never been to either one but heard St. Johns had pretty good seafood.
I don't know much about the places you mentiored on first street,but I have heard of them. Back in the 1970's that area was really rundown , but the city of Jax Beach made a lot of reparations on the boardwalk and 1st street and tore down rundown buildings and they hve added new restaurants and hotels to give a new look to the city.
I hope that this has been informative and would like to hear what you have to say.

Old 05-25-2008, 04:15 PM

2 posts, read 27,446 times
The 360 degree restaurant was not in Iveys. It was in the Universal-Marion building. It was called Embers. Rolands BBQ at the beach, ate there a bunch after surfing and Mama's Tacos (.25 for a real taco, and good pinball machine). How about Batt-Batt on Beach? And, the in-ground trampoline place next door? Kangaroo Court? Nicks Pizza sucked! Also, Tom Thumb cottage in S. Jax Beach? Fair break. What about "Blowhole." How about the well that was on the side of the road on A1A in S. PV.? How about Driscolls' on Beach, disco dump. Phil Driscoll, however, could play a horn! He rented my bud's beach garage apt. on Ocean Ave, 3 doors down from the Chateau. Annie Tiques had it's own building in the Regency parking lot. Brinkmans on Beach had the best sanwhiches! Waldz had some serious cheescake! Town & Country Shopping Center. Saw "Flubber" there in its first showing.

Last edited by wanew; 05-25-2008 at 04:30 PM..

Old 05-25-2008, 04:44 PM

2 posts, read 27,446 times
Default waht was Cork N' Cleeavers most famous steak?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarlo View Post
I went to Lee Hi and there was Bobby Hazouri and Janice Hazouri. Bobbi dated Jan Spratt.

The "Baseball Cut!"

Old 05-26-2008, 07:00 AM

27 posts, read 159,128 times
Default I remember a lot of that... :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by steinhauser View Post
How about Jacksonville's music scene in the 60's and 70's...The Illusions, Bitter End, Dalton Gang, Mouse & the Boys, Allman Joys, Second Coming, Mind Garden, One Percent, Sons of Satan, Doomsday Refreshment Committee, Miracle Sounds, Classics IV, Camelots, the Crypt, Molly Hatchet, etc. There were also some great places to enjoy them...the Jacksonville Beach Coliseum, Southside Woman's Club, LaVida's in Atlantic Beach, Lancaster's, by Regency Square, Woodstock Youth Center, Trednick Youth Center, St. Andrews Church, in Arlington, Comic Book Club (downtown and the beach), etc. Anyone remember the Beatles playing in the Gator Bowl on September 11, 1964, right after Hurricane Dora and President Johnson's visit to declare it a disaster. The opening acts were the Bill Black Combo and Jackie Deshannon; the show was sponsored by WAPE...remember Dino Summerlin, Leroy Cumbie, Mike Renieri, Dan Brennan (Dan's Dusty Disc's), the Top 5 at 5...

Jacksonville had a semi-pro football team in the 60's, called the Robins, and played in the Gator Bowl. Their running backs were "Possum Lee" and Fred *****rd, who later became football coach at Terry Parker.

How about rides up and down Beach Blvd., stopping at the Krystal, Shoney's, A&W, Putt Putt. At the corner of Beach and University, there used to be pony rides. The Midway, Atlantic and Southside drive-in theatres.

Surfing at Access 5, AB Pier, Jax Beach Pier, North Jetties, 34th St., Shrimpboat, Crossroads, Vilano, Anastasia, St. Augustine Pier, etc. Remember when you could drive on the beach at High Tide and still have the length of a football field to the ocean.

Been gone a long time, but have great memories of simpler times. Could go on and on...
I remember the Comic Book Club downtown, my cousin and I would go (tell parents we were spending the night with a friend) and go change at the Greyhound Bus Station down the street before going in. One Percent, that was Lynyrd Skynyrd. Used to see them there at the Comic Book Club, Friendship Fountain and at the Castaways & Smitty's down at Jax Beach. Allen Collins was such a crazy sweetie. The Alman Joys became the Allman Brothers. I remember meeting them at Jax Beach on 3rd Street during the summer of 1970. People would drive up and down the street and the guys would yell out at the girls and etc. It was great fun LOL Anyway they were in an old white van and asked us if we wanted to ride with them. Sure, so we got in and was riding up and down the street. (Times were much simpler and safer then...also I was pretty much naive. LOL It was the thing to do then, never thought twice about it. But anyway they were telling us they were in a band, we thought they were just telling stories and didn't believe them. Later we seen them play. I remember when the Beatles and the hurricane were there. My Aunt and Uncle's house had a tree come through their roof. They lived in San Marco on Nira St. I used to go to school right around the corner. I think they are condos now. I remember seeing Gone With The Wind for the first time at the San Marco theater in the early 70s. I also remember when Setzers Grocery was there and the sign out front with the chasing lights going around. Also the old A&P grocery store and Coley Walkers drug store next door wiht it's lunch counter and the old telephone booths at the back. Later on around the corner there was a restaurant called Bernie's ..I worked there too Anyone remember Silver's Drug Store on Atlantic Beach Rd at the beach? We would go there for their hot dogs.

Old 05-26-2008, 11:38 AM

17 posts, read 73,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
Are you talking about the Pig that used to be over near Atlantic and University??

Cheers! M2

OMG! the Pig! Anytime I go for BBQ I think of the Pig! I lived in an apartment building behind the Pig in 1978 just befor I moved to Jax Beach. Is that apartment bldg still there?

Old 05-27-2008, 07:14 AM

459 posts, read 1,417,084 times
ha. i was a waiter at patti's way back in 1989 and remember the awesome boneless chicken parmesan, as well as the two ancient old ladies that had worked there for thirty years. what a memory.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville