Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2012, 05:59 PM

148 posts, read 425,464 times

Advertisements

Hello there.

Thanks much to this wonderful forum for helping us decide on our new home destination. We will be moving and renting initially in St Johns County, FL. After a year of renting, we will buy in St. Johns County. We have a contract on our home to sell in Chicago.

I have been on a couple of email lists from sales agents so I have a nice idea of what we want. I wonder if any of you nice realtors out there might want to show my family and I around next week and show us some rentals so we can narrow down and find a house we want to rent.

I would really like a realtor who wants my business and is not counting on me for the listings I want to see. We need an experienced realtor who knows the in's and out's of the St. John's County Area.

We are a bit early, we don't plan to move until June 25th, but we would like to get the application process going and maybe even find a house to make a deal on. We will be in town all next week.

Here's what we're looking for:

Ranch Home
3+ Bedrooms
2.5 + Baths
Living/dining Combo
Kitchen/family room combo
Hardwood floors
Updated Kitchen (no Formica)
Washer/Dryer and other appliances
Fenced Yard for Dog (7 year old 80lb miniature st. Bernard) (big baby)
Amenities, pool, gym, etc.
or No Amenities and a killer screened inground pool.
Must be in St. Johns County with Ponte Vedra or Nease or Bartram High School

Rent <$1800. Utilities Seperate of Course
Lawn Maintinance negotiable

This is my must have list so I know there might be compromises, but we are looking for the nicest place to raise our boy and we are a great family.

We like Fruit Cove/Switz/Julington/Ponte Vedra/WGV. You will know more than we do so bring our attention to any other nice communities we can afford in that area.

I hope I gave you enough info to go on. Thank you very much for reading this and any recommendations or advice is welcomed from our new Florida Family.

Theresa Callahan

Please email me with your website and telephone number and days you are available to show us around next week. I'll call you ASAP to work out details.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2012, 09:50 PM

209 posts, read 534,169 times
I would bet that you are about a month too early. I know that as a landlord, I don't know that my property is going to be vacant until at the EARLIEST 60 days in advance, but usually 30 days.

Old 04-06-2012, 11:01 PM

Thumbs up It might take another trip to seal the deal....

Thank you so much for your reply. As one who has also been a landlord , I would usually agree - I wouldn't want that property to remain vacant for so many months. The realtors we have spoken with have told us that there is such a large inventory of rental homes on the market, that some are staying empty in excess of 90 days. If we dont ink a deal this trip we will come again in May.

We actually intend to spend much of the week on our own but it would be good to have an experts insights to the area.

In terms of actually signing a deal that would be great, we want to get started, but we are not depending on it. I was told too, that if we work with a management company, that they would most likely have access to multiple properties and that it would be good to get the application and approval process over with. It makes sense that if we have to come back, all the paperwork and credit stuff will be done. Thanks again.

Old 04-07-2012, 07:06 PM

36 posts, read 121,091 times
Julington Creek/Fruit Cove/Switz would put you at Creekside High, are you opposed to that?

Old 04-07-2012, 07:12 PM

Hello SoccerFam:

I cannot say that I am apposed to Creekside at all. Their College Prep program looks fantastic. To be truthful we have a son who will want to play football in the fall and we have seen more from Nease and Bartram in terms of football. However, that's why we are down her looking this week. We are checking into all of this, what schools go where, and which programs are best. We are so lucky to be able to send our son to such great high schools. We have paid for private schools for both of our children up until now,

Anyway, creekside, Bartram, Ponte Vedra, Nease, any thoughts???

Thanks,
Theresa

Old 04-07-2012, 07:59 PM

3,863 posts, read 9,508,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theresamcallahan View Post
To be truthful we have a son who will want to play football in the fall and we have seen more from Nease and Bartram in terms of football. We have paid for private schools for both of our children up until now, Theresa
Why stop now with private school? If you want your son to play for probably the best High School Football program in the state, why not send him to Bolles. Here's a link ...

Bolles School - Parents and Current Students

Click on Athletics and check out all the state Championships they have won not just in football but in all sports.

Old 04-07-2012, 11:25 PM

Thanks for the tip. It looks like they have a great sports program. I will assume and then verify that their academics are just as good.

I don't know that we want to continue in private school, But we will look at it.

So, assuming all academic programs are equal, in terms of high school football in SJC, where would you send your boy if you wanted to give him the best chance to develop his skills and go on to a college program? Any one want to weigh in?

Old 04-08-2012, 03:53 AM

3,863 posts, read 9,508,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theresamcallahan View Post
Thanks for the tip. It looks like they have a great sports program. I will assume and then verify that their academics are just as good.

I don't know that we want to continue in private school, But we will look at it.

So, assuming all academic programs are equal, in terms of high school football in SJC, where would you send your boy if you wanted to give him the best chance to develop his skills and go on to a college program? Any one want to weigh in?
Bolles without a doubt is one of the top 2 college prep schools academically in Jacksonville, along
with Jacksonvillle Episcopal High School. It's just that Bolles has better athletic program success.
Bolles School - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 04-08-2012, 09:06 AM

64 posts, read 163,841 times
So, assuming all academic programs are equal, in terms of high school football in SJC, where would you send your boy if you wanted to give him the best chance to develop his skills and go on to a college program? Any one want to weigh in?[/quote]

^ Ponte Vedra High School or Bartram Trail High School.

Old 04-09-2012, 03:11 PM

10 posts, read 27,884 times
Well if merely looking for sports, Bartram Trail had the better team as of last year. They are also losing their QB who is going to attend D1 Tenn. 2nd option would be St Augustine, the team Tebow couldnt even beat! They have had ups and downs as of late but still a very very good school for football.. If you are looking at both academics and football.. Id choose Creekside or Ponte Vedra.. Nease is a great school( I think they have IB, atleast when I went to hs in SJ they did).. Both Creekside and Ponte Vedra you can find houses that are new.. Such as for Creekside you can look in Fruit Cove ( IE, Julington Creek, Fruit Cove, Durbin Crossing) for Ponte Vedra High you can look into Ponte Vedra, Palm Valley, and Nocatee)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville