Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2012, 04:51 PM

157 posts, read 529,939 times

Advertisements

Everywhere I go here I noticed a lot of people mostly whites having tattoos on visible areas like the neck and forearms. What company in their right mind allow in their dress code. I think all companies from Burger King to Wall St needs to increase dress codes. These people are ridiculous with the body art nowadays.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2012, 06:14 PM

301 posts, read 1,062,355 times
Well thats certainly a matter of opinion! Having a tattoo doesnt affect the service one provides. Maybe you should open up your mind a little bit and realize that this isnt the 1950's anymore. If seeing a tattoo on someone bothers you this much, it looks like there are bigger issues you should address from within.

Old 04-08-2012, 06:20 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,818,961 times
It's everywhere...up here in Toronto ...half the young people look like they belong to some pagan tribe...sleeve tats abound...woman with the same dull looking wings on the top of their butts..up the neck and creeping on to the face..Then you still see the old guys with bad tattoos - that reflect a bad and sinister past and too many years in the slammer..

Remembering back - as a kid and being brought up by Christian Russian Orthodox parents...we were taught that the human body was perfect and not to alter or deface it....and that those with tattoos were just a little less than those without.

Old 04-08-2012, 06:34 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,815,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgibbs2007 View Post
Everywhere I go here I noticed a lot of people mostly whites having tattoos on visible areas like the neck and forearms. What company in their right mind allow in their dress code. I think all companies from Burger King to Wall St needs to increase dress codes. These people are ridiculous with the body art nowadays.
Well first off, this is your opinion. I think breast and lip implants are ridiculous, along with hair gel, and fake tans; but I am not about to base a hiring decision off of it.

I am the senior hiring manager for my business unit, I make decisions based off of skills. I owe it to my company and its stockholders to put the best skilled people in place to make money, no where in my job description does it state I am suppose to use my personal opinions of someone that is not skill related.

As a stockholder in many companies, I expect managers there to hire people with the best skills possible to increase my stock price. If a manager has a problem doing that, I do not want them working there.

There are many people with tattoos, some of those are placing their life on the line so you can rattle off on this forum. Many of those will come to your rescue when you need it.

So, if a place like Burger King does not want employees with visible tattoos, are they also not going to serve them? Oh, YOU KNOW that will never happen. A company will love to make a policy like that and not hire someone, but has no problem taking their money from them.

If an EMT arrived to save you, would you decline service because they have a tattoo? You think the US government should dismiss critical intel info in regards to a terror attack because the intel guy has tattoos? Even the FBI does not care about tattoos because when it comes down to it, at the end of the day it is skills that count.

What I find disgusting is fat people, people with their stomachs hanging out, crowding up the medical system with their ill health, and just overall disgusting looking. I do not have much respect for a person who does not respect their own body, but I would never base a hiring decision off of that because, as I mentioned, I owe it to the company and the stockholders to hire the highest skilled employees.

Last edited by boxus; 04-08-2012 at 08:01 PM..

Old 04-08-2012, 06:40 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,815,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
It's everywhere...up here in Toronto ...half the young people look like they belong to some pagan tribe...sleeve tats abound...woman with the same dull looking wings on the top of their butts..up the neck and creeping on to the face..Then you still see the old guys with bad tattoos - that reflect a bad and sinister past and too many years in the slammer..

Remembering back - as a kid and being brought up by Christian Russian Orthodox parents...we were taught that the human body was perfect and not to alter or deface it....and that those with tattoos were just a little less than those without.
So, not to alter the human body, what does that mean? How about a fat person? Or a body builder? That is altering the body. How about surgery? Or an a transplant? How about piercings?

I have lived many years in Russia and met many undesirable people who are Russian Orthodox, go to church on Sunday, cheat on their wife, scam people, or drink excessively every other day of the week. I will not get into divorces. But hey, as long as they do not have tattoos, they are alright.

Talk about cherry picking.

Old 04-08-2012, 08:00 PM

301 posts, read 1,062,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
So, not to alter the human body, what does that mean? How about a fat person? Or a body builder? That is altering the body. How about surgery? Or an a transplant? How about piercings?

I have lived many years in Russia and met many undesirable people who are Russian Orthodox, go to church on Sunday, cheat on their wife, scam people, or drink excessively every other day of the week. I will not get into divorces. But hey, as long as they do not have tattoos, they are alright.

I agree with you 100%

Old 04-09-2012, 01:49 AM

7,725 posts, read 12,620,471 times
Quote:
If you think it's bad in Jacksonville, you should come down to South Florida and take a gander. It's an epidemic.

Old 04-09-2012, 02:02 AM

1,071 posts, read 2,896,337 times
Thanks to everyone who stated their opinions on this subject. I think the opinions on both sides of the issue were well expressed and thought provoking.

Old 04-09-2012, 05:24 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,818,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post

Not talking about recent or present Russia at all..These people are products of the soviet era..My dad was born in 1910...his father in the 1800s...pre-communism...My father had values that were not related to RUSSIA as you know it...I am talking about the old believers...ancient types...what I meant about altering the body was simply not scribbling pictures on your flesh - that would alter the image of man kind...which these ancient ones believe was perfect already...

It's you that is cherry picking..bringing up medical issues..that have nothing to do with so called body art..

Okay...it may have just been a personal family value thing on my part...We were spawned from the old aristocracy...There was a class system.....all I know is that those with tattoos were considered part of the lower class...

I can't help it because of the way I was brought up..When I see someone tattooed - man or woman...all I can think of is "What were you thinking..why the hell would you do that?"

Also because of revolution and war...my mother stated if there is social chaos..You do not want visual marks that can identify you...if saving your llife means not to be easily identified....tattoos are just a bad idea and you don't need them...

Those who are young and in a certain state...get a tattoo...then later they changed and develop into another person..but are stuck with these dated markings that are NOT representative of who you are NOW...It's like looking into a mirror or television that is stuck on one channel for ever...

PEOPLE CHANGE...why mark yourself with a signal or sign that can never be changed............Highly intelligent people who have vision of the future do not get tattoos...also.........when you are 75..and your skin is drooping off the body..............You look damned stupid with tats.

Old 04-09-2012, 05:45 AM

278 posts, read 664,802 times
Quote:
My company has drastically reduced their dress code to allow for all sorts of visible tattoos. I'm 33 and this is a big change over the past 7 or 8 years. The company I work for is extremely slow-moving and resistant to change - they've been around for 90 years - so if we're allowing tattoos, the decision has probably already been made in more progressive companies.

I think tattoos are just like women's ankles and men's hatless heads. At one time it would have been unthinkable to see them but nowadays, who cares? (Though I still question the taste of anyone deciding in favor of face or neck tattoos...)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville