Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2013, 03:08 PM

1 posts, read 3,257 times

Advertisements

We are relocating to the area and are drawn to both Palencia and Ponte Vedra Beach areas. We looked at Nocatee and took that off our list. However, I do like Palencia b/c they said the kids can ride their bikes to the new school and it seems more family oriented vs the older Ponte Vedra communities such as Sawgrass, Plantation and Marsh Landing (not as many young families, but maybe there are?). Can you give me any pros or cons for either? My husband will be commuting to the DeerPark so either area would be an acceptable commute I believe? I like Palencia b/c I can build a new home vs an older home in PVB. BUT, I really do love the closer proximity to the beach with PVB. Any locals out there that can provide feedback on these areas and what you would recommend? We have elementary age children so obviously we want to stay within St. Johns County Schools - both these areas fall into. Thank you so much in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2013, 10:04 AM

85 posts, read 202,794 times
We moved to Palencia last summer and have been very happy here. We also looked in Ponte Vedra, and found that aside from getting more for your money here in Palencia, we really liked the neighborhood feel. There are lots of families with elementary aged children, and I think the new school will draw even more. There are so many nice parks and walking/bike trails, and all sorts of organized sports right at Palencia Park.

We moved down from Duval County (although we are originally New Yorkers) where we lived in a golf club community that was not nearly as family focused. The majority of the kids there went to various private schools, and you seldom saw children riding bicycles or playing outside in the neighborhood. They did have a swim team, but it was poorly run and fell apart. You could go to the playground on the nicest afternoon of the year and not see another family. I tend to think many of the older PVB communities will be similar.

The only negative I have really found here is the lack of a supermarket. It's a 20+ minute drive to the nearest Publix (and Walgreens or CVS) at World Golf Village. It is everyone's big complaint. We refer to our shopping trips to Jacksonville as "going into town for provisions" but we all hope that something will eventually move into the space vacated when Food Lion pulled out of the state last year.

We have three boys, one in third grade, one is first and one in preschool, and have been very happy with Palencia Elementary. As with any new school there have been some growing pains, and I think the use of technology (no textbooks) has been a learning experience for students and teachers alike. But we've been delighted with the quality of teachers and staff (several friends with kids at other St. Johns county schools complained that we had poached their best teachers).

We bought an existing home, but there are plenty of great lots available. I have definitely been seeing a bit of a construction boom in the neighborhood over the past several months.

Feel free to private message me if you have questions.

Old 03-20-2013, 06:27 AM

36 posts, read 82,016 times
I have lived in Ponte Vedra beach since 1993 but I do not know a lot about living in in Palencia besides it is a beautiful community. Like ilfaith said, the new school has great reviews. Yes, you will be "Stuck" in the middle of nowhere. Ponte Vedra beach is much more convenient with shopping around the corner( minus a mall) Commute for your husband will be about the same. Butler blvd ( main feed from the beach to town) gets congested in early Am but with some time management you can skip the "sit in" traffic part

. Both Sawgrass players club and Marsh landing are full of kids.( Marsh landing and Sawgrass players go toPonte Vedra/palm Valley school. THe plantation has less kids and a very restrictive home owner association. Odoms mill and Sawmill lakes are full of kids and the kids can ride their bikes from Odoms mill. There soon will be a side walk from Sawmill Lakes but I am not sure I would have my young kids bike to school from there. Odoms mill has a back way to school where the kids do not have to go out on the main road.

You have a YMCA right next door from Odoms mill and Ocean Palms elementary and the middle school. There are lot of sports leagues and activities for the kids.
Last but not least. You are only minutes away from The beach in Pv vs, Palencia a 15-20 min drive.
Welcome to town!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville