Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2018, 06:29 PM

1,561 posts, read 2,151,703 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundarr457 View Post
The more we lose the better. This season is over. Might was well play for a better pick. But losing to the Skins with a QB that has been with a dozen different teams and completed 107 passes in 11 seasons with 5 TD's and 10 pics is embarrassing.
I constantly have an internal fight with myself on this rhetoric. I so want them to win but really don't given the draft pick scenario. I literally lost my voice during the Colts v Jags 6-0 game few weeks ago when we were at the game and now I'm saying to myself, "damn it, if we had lost, we would be in the running for #1 overall draft pick".

This thought/conundrum goes away as soon as we have our "guy" at QB.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2018, 06:25 AM

482 posts, read 419,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan Putski View Post
Pretty sure that’s the nail in the coffin for Marrone & Caldwell. Can’t lose to a 4th string QB off the street who hasn’t played a snap since 2011. On the bright side, Jags won’t need to trade up to draft a QB...
Caldwell, I hope & pray is gone. I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss Marrone though. He did get us almost al the way last year, so he does have some value.

Old 12-17-2018, 06:51 AM

6,420 posts, read 4,913,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnathon Hills View Post
Caldwell, I hope & pray is gone. I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss Marrone though. He did get us almost al the way last year, so he does have some value.
I would be happy with a superstar OC or hot college coach. Marrone is average at best. The team has quit on him so I am not sure what value he has.

Old 12-17-2018, 07:10 AM

9,398 posts, read 8,363,704 times
I know it's easy to say "blow up this team and fire/replace everyone" but really, I think the Jaguars need to re-set as much as possible here with a completely fresh start. I like Marrone but he's gotta go. Get a new HC in here who will bring new O & D Coordinators, get rid of more of these ridiculous contracts, ala Barry Church (looking at you, Norwell and you, Jackson) and basically try and hit a home run in the draft with all picks.

The GOOD NEWS is that the teams ahead of us - Cardinals, Raiders, 49ers and Jets......all have their QBs already. The Raiders could move on from Carr but I doubt it with the way he's been playing. So that would leave the Jags as having the first QB pick in the draft unless another team trades up. That puts us in the running for Dwayne Haskins of Ohio State. The Giants are next up and they'll surely draft a QB so they could trade up ahead of us so the Jags need to have a plan in place for that. Justin Herbert (Oregon) still hasn't declared so unsure if he'll go ahead of Haskins or not. I have heard interviews with Haskins and the kid sounds very intelligent and definitely has an NFL arm.

Old 12-31-2018, 07:51 AM

An interesting day yesterday, to say the least. Jags lose (of course), then Coughlin blasts Yeldon and Fournette for moping on the sideline the entire game. Followed by Khan stating he wants everyone back (Marrone, Caldwell, Coughlin). Then the Jags void Fournette's contract guarantees due to his suspension.

I'm not sure what to make of all this. Are the Jags moving on from Fournette now so soon? If so, how can anyone reasonably think Caldwell has done a good enough job to keep him? That's a HUGE swing and miss if the Jags are truly looking elsewhere now. I'm also hearing the Jags might keep Bortles as a backup.....HUH?

Will be another interesting offseason.

Old 12-31-2018, 08:29 AM

5,210 posts, read 6,147,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
An interesting day yesterday, to say the least. Jags lose (of course), then Coughlin blasts Yeldon and Fournette for moping on the sideline the entire game. Followed by Khan stating he wants everyone back (Marrone, Caldwell, Coughlin). Then the Jags void Fournette's contract guarantees due to his suspension.

I'm not sure what to make of all this. Are the Jags moving on from Fournette now so soon? If so, how can anyone reasonably think Caldwell has done a good enough job to keep him? That's a HUGE swing and miss if the Jags are truly looking elsewhere now. I'm also hearing the Jags might keep Bortles as a backup.....HUH?

Will be another interesting offseason.

That's the problem, it's always next year.

I was wondering what was up with those two, Fournette is the team captain right? They looked like they were just chilling out. Pretty embarrassing to be seen nationally like that.

Is it me or has the locker room seemed to be pretty undisciplined for quite some time now?

Totally blows me away that the coaching staff remains unless the owner thinks this year was a fluke due to injuries.

Another year where we go back to the drawing board

Old 12-31-2018, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBtwinz View Post
That's the problem, it's always next year.

I was wondering what was up with those two, Fournette is the team captain right? They looked like they were just chilling out. Pretty embarrassing to be seen nationally like that.

Is it me or has the locker room seemed to be pretty undisciplined for quite some time now?

Totally blows me away that the coaching staff remains unless the owner thinks this year was a fluke due to injuries.

Another year where we go back to the drawing board
Yeah, lots of unanswered questions here. Fournette is, indeed, an offensive captain (along w/Bortles and Linder).

I feel like if no changes are made we're headed to mediocrity again for the next decade. Look at what the status quo did for the Bengals by retaining Marvin Lewis year after year. They were always just good enough to finish around .500 yet never fell low enough to get a top 3 pick.

We're picking 7th, now behind NYG who will *surely* draft a QB with their pick. From what I've heard, the Jags will look to pick up a free agent QB in the offseason (I've heard Nick Foles' name get thrown around more than once) and then draft a QB to sit under him for a season to learn the ropes. But there just isn't the QB depth coming out this year, especially after the Oregon QB announced he was coming back. So I really don't know what the plan is......hopefully they can trade some picks and one of these high-priced, very average defensive players (Jackson) to move up a few spots to get a shot at Haskins of OSU.

Old 12-31-2018, 01:11 PM

5,821 posts, read 5,303,952 times
Fournette is/was a team captain in name only. A captain does not leave the sideline to fight (automatic suspension and fine) with a no-name line backer. With the game on the line, he made a bonehead decision that probably cost the team a win. He's an immature, selfish, injury-prone underachiever.

Old 12-31-2018, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy5 View Post
Fournette is/was a team captain in name only. A captain does not leave the sideline to fight (automatic suspension and fine) with a no-name line backer. With the game on the line, he made a bonehead decision that probably cost the team a win. He's an immature, selfish, injury-prone underachiever.
Tell us how you really think!

Definitely a kid who really needs to grow up and learn how to be a pro. In the end, he's the poster-child as to why you don't draft a RB in the first round. They get injured way too frequently so you can't build a team around them as you could with a QB.

Old 12-31-2018, 02:40 PM

1,561 posts, read 2,151,703 times
Now that I think about it, it really doesn't make any sense to just fire Caldwell as I thought they would do. No up & coming GM will take a job with a HC and EVP already in place with both presumably in the hot seat.

As for team captains, I don't know what the league protocol is but players shouldn't be able to vote for/select their own captains as the case is for the Jags. Coaches should be selecting them IMHO.

I heard Fournette's agent ROCNATION had absolutely no clue as to how to go about filing an appeal when he was suspended this year. They also neglected to negotiate out the verbiage in the contract which allows for the Jags to void the contract guarantees if a player is suspended for on/off the field violations (most agents fight to have it removed). They apparently do nothing to advise this guy on how to act like a pro football player either. Kid's going to be out of the league sooner than he realizes. Shame...

Before I forget, Happy New Year fellas!

Last edited by Ivan Putski; 12-31-2018 at 02:50 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville