Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2014, 08:56 AM

410 posts, read 602,412 times

Advertisements

This thread is going to be deleted soon by the panties in a wad mods, so discuss quickly.

FWIW, I think the 100% legalization of marijuana is a terrible idea, and those losers standing in line for hours on end Colorado to get their hash are some of the biggest dregs and leeches that society has to offer, and are being supported by the productive members of society. Don't we have enough deadbeats in this country as it is?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2014, 05:52 PM

410 posts, read 362,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abvavgjoe View Post
Saw on CNN it helped a young girl control seizures.

Marijuana stops child's severe seizures - CNN.com

Here's an article on Sanjay Gupta's personal opinion reversal regarding medical marijuana:

Sanjay Gupta backs medical marijuana, apologizes for previous views - CBS News
"Long before I began this project, I had steadily reviewed the scientific literature on medical marijuana from the United States and thought it was fairly unimpressive," wrote Gupta.

That's because it is sanjay. Dr Gupta is of course free to have whatever personal belief regarding marijuana he wants(as we all are), but despite the fact that he is now pro-medical mj the scientific literature to support it is very unimpressive.

Old 01-13-2014, 06:26 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,564,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giants6 View Post
This thread is going to be deleted soon by the panties in a wad mods, so discuss quickly.

FWIW, I think the 100% legalization of marijuana is a terrible idea, and those losers standing in line for hours on end Colorado to get their hash are some of the biggest dregs and leeches that society has to offer, and are being supported by the productive members of society. Don't we have enough deadbeats in this country as it is?
Really? As opposed to the 'pill mills" Florida is famous for or the "drunks"? My views have been stated in a previous post. Would you prefer to "arrest" these "losers" instead of them going through a legal procedure to obtain? Or to tie them up the Criminal Justice system for such a petty "crime'?
Let's talk about how many Americans OD on "legal" prescription pills" or Alcohol unlike Marijuana every year.

Old 01-14-2014, 03:09 AM

1,027 posts, read 2,049,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPeach2 View Post
As legalization efforts are ramping up around the country, surprisingly, there has been some pro medical marijuana legalization comments coming out of the GOP run legislature

It seems like the tide of opinion in the US is turning on marijuana. What are your thoughts?
Florida is probably the last state second to Texas that you wont to get arrested for drugs.

Quote:

A person could end up serving more time for drugs than for
manslaughter!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.
Mandatory minimum sentences attract criticism | Gainesville.com

Possession of 20 grams or less is a misdemeanor, punishable by 1 year in jail and a $1,000 fine.
Possession of more than 20 grams is a felony, punishable by 5 years in prison and a $5,000 fine.

Florida Marijuana Policy | The Weed Blog

Combine possession with another crime, say shoplifting, and penalties get tougher.
Not only are Florida's existing laws strict, they're getting tougher.

Tough Marijuana States: Southern Discomfort

So no , there is no legalization efforts even on the drawing board!! if any they are passing more strict laws.And getting cought for drugs is not slap on wrist in Florda.

Old 01-14-2014, 07:07 AM

410 posts, read 602,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
Really? As opposed to the 'pill mills" Florida is famous for or the "drunks"? My views have been stated in a previous post. Would you prefer to "arrest" these "losers" instead of them going through a legal procedure to obtain? Or to tie them up the Criminal Justice system for such a petty "crime'?
Let's talk about how many Americans OD on "legal" prescription pills" or Alcohol unlike Marijuana every year.
Its not as "opposed" to anything. The OP asked about our thoughts about the legalization of marijuana, and I gave my opinion just like you. My opinion is that it kills productivity, and that there should be no legal procedure to obtain it in the first place. Stay on topic.

Old 01-14-2014, 08:13 PM

7,778 posts, read 10,162,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweat209 View Post
Florida is probably the last state second to Texas that you wont to get arrested for drugs.

Mandatory minimum sentences attract criticism | Gainesville.com

Possession of 20 grams or less is a misdemeanor, punishable by 1 year in jail and a $1,000 fine.
Possession of more than 20 grams is a felony, punishable by 5 years in prison and a $5,000 fine.

Florida Marijuana Policy | The Weed Blog

Combine possession with another crime, say shoplifting, and penalties get tougher.
Not only are Florida's existing laws strict, they're getting tougher.

Tough Marijuana States: Southern Discomfort

So no , there is no legalization efforts even on the drawing board!! if any they are passing more strict laws.And getting cought for drugs is not slap on wrist in Florda.
Your comments have nothing to do with whether or not there is any "legalization effort on the drawing board." And yes, there is, which is why I assume the OP started the thread. It likely won't be successful, but I think they have over 100,000 signatures in support of putting it on the ballot.

Old 01-15-2014, 09:55 AM

11,143 posts, read 10,711,121 times
Considering that marijuana was only criminalized due to corporate pressure and a completely fabricated and extremely racist propaganda campaign in the first place, I'm not sure why it's still illegal to begin with. Here are a few quotes from the lovely individual who led the crusade to criminalize marijuana, Harry Anslinger:

Quote:
“…the primary reason to outlaw marijuana is its effect on the degenerate races.”
Quote:
“Reefer makes darkies think they’re as good as white men.”
Quote:
“You smoke a joint and you’re likely to kill your brother.”
Quote:
There are 100,000 total marijuana smokers in the US, and most are Negroes, Hispanics, Filipinos and entertainers. Their Satanic music, jazz and swing, result from marijuana usage. This marijuana causes white women to seek sexual relations with Negroes, entertainers and any others
Quote:
Marijuana is the most violence-causing drug in the history of mankind.
Sounds like a wonderfully sane individual, doesn't he?

On the corporate side, the two main proponents of outlawing cannabis were William Randolph Hearst, who was heavily invested in the timber industry and saw hemp as a potentially devastating competition, and the DuPont chemical corporation, which had recently invented nylon and also saw hemp as a major source of competition.

Not surprisingly, the opponents of marijuana legalization - medical or otherwise - today fall into two camps. On the general public side, they are people who still believe many of the misconceptions that were rampant in the marijuana witch hunts of the 1930s, such as marijuana use leading to violent behavior and harder drug use. On the big business side, it is once again the companies which see cannabis as competition that will eat into their profit margins. In the early 1900s it was the timber and manufacturing industries which pushed for criminalizing marijuana. Today it's big pharmaceuticals that are stonewalling legalization. After all, how would they be able to sell pills at $50+ a dose when marijuana is just as effective with fewer side effects?

In my opinion, medical marijuana with its relatively few side effects is far better than just about any chemical compound that is put out by the pharmaceutical companies. You know the pharmaceutical world has gone off the deep end when they start advertising medication to treat fatigue and the medication has fatigue listed as a side effect.

On the recreational side, I see marijuana on about the same level as I see alcohol. Actually, in my opinion marijuana has a slight edge. Marijuana causes fewer health problems than alcohol, is far less likely to cause violent behavior, and there is very little evidence of physical addiction. I firmly believe that Colorado and Washington are merely the start of a huge societal change in marijuana legislation. It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest to see marijuana become legal nationwide before the middle of this century.

Old 01-15-2014, 11:56 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,426,693 times
Just a few observations....take too much tylenol, your liver will shut down. Take too much cough medicine, your brain gets screwed up. Take too much vicadin, you get addicted. Take too much fill in the blank, you die. Yet you could smoke a forest of weed and have no negative effects on your system.

People keep repeating over and over that its a gateway drug and the government should ban it. There is no bias free scientific evidence AT ALL that marijuana is a gateway drug, or that it is harmful. Take your blinders off people, its all about big pharma.

Old 01-16-2014, 09:08 AM

1,017 posts, read 1,883,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacosman View Post
there is no such thing as 'medical marijuana'........the evidence suggests that it may provide *some* moderate benefit in alleviating nausea in cancer and HIV patients. Not a lot, but some(above placebo at least). But 98% of 'medical marijuana' patients aren't receiving chemo and don't have cancer. There is no evidence base(not from reliable sources/studies) that marijuana helps with the laundry list of other things that MJ supporters throw out....

I'm indifferent as to whether MJ is legalized or not....I'm just bothered by attempts to 'medicalize' it. Marijuana has nothing to do with medicine.
How would we know? Because of it's classification, nobody is allowed to do actual tests on it.

Old 01-16-2014, 11:10 AM

8,289 posts, read 13,564,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguydownsouth View Post
Just a few observations....take too much tylenol, your liver will shut down. Take too much cough medicine, your brain gets screwed up. Take too much vicadin, you get addicted. Take too much fill in the blank, you die. Yet you could smoke a forest of weed and have no negative effects on your system.

People keep repeating over and over that its a gateway drug and the government should ban it. There is no bias free scientific evidence AT ALL that marijuana is a gateway drug, or that it is harmful. Take your blinders off people, its all about big pharma.
I am more afraid of Tylenol shutting down our liver than alcohol or pot! That little pill can kill!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville