Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2014, 05:34 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,490,785 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
We shall see what happens. Not all employers are the same.
Both my kids work overseas. They make good money, and they don't get drug-tested.

There was a comment upthread about Big Pharm and its long tentacles, and I believe that, too.
It's a new world now. Notice is being given to Big Pharm.

I happen to believe that many drugs, including marijuana, can be *psychologically* addictive.

I also believe that people have the wherewithal to not let our world go to hell in a stoner handbasket because pot becomes decriminalized.
Great - so other parents should send their kids overseas so they can work and not get drug tested. Might work for you - perhaps not for others.

As for big pharma - it's still your best chance if you have a serious disease - like cancer - and need an important drug to extend your life/improve the quality of whatever life you have left. My brother the doctor works for a big pharma company. If you have kidney failure (which many people have these days as a result of diabetes or similar) - you need the drugs his company makes - not marijuana (unless you just want to fade into the sunset).

Like I've said - I really don't care what other people do - or what the consequences are in terms of their life decisions.

I don't think a lot of people here get what I think. DO WHATEVER YOU WANT TO DO. AS LONG AS YOU ACCEPT PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY FOR THE CONSEQUENCES OF WHAT YOU DO. Fair enough? Robyn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2014, 05:58 PM

8,061 posts, read 4,885,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4gr8kidz View Post
I am from Denver - so for those of you wondering where pot is legal and smoking is banned, come visit. And, I must say that I have seen first hand "medical MJ" cause every one and their sister all of a sudden have "aches and pains" to get a medical card. Now a few years later, we have legalized it for recreation. Not pleased - it seriously stinks. No pun intended, pot smokers seem to have no idea how bad they smell. And I really hate seeing people pulling a hit at traffic lights - great, so now that it's legal you have to do it right there in front of my kids and I at the light at 3pm? C'mon - it may be legal, but it's annoying. I am no rightwinger, I smoked some in college, and I will attest that drinking is much worse for judgment, but I don't want to smell this crap all over and the scariest thing now is the pot shops sell the foods and candy made with pot. It looks the same as anything in a grocery store and I worry kids could get into it. Within the first days of it, there were reports of a toddler who ate a pot cookie and was in the hospital - that's totally uncool and obviously the relaxing effects were so good the dumbass parents forgot to put it out of reach. So now we fund our schools with drug tax money and I cannot wait to leave my beloved Colorado - it was not well-thought out or planned, it just got voted on and bam - 300+ stores open all over the city. There are tons of break ins at these stores in the first weeks and there is no real "organization" to this legalization, so I think they pushed it thru too quick. There should have been more outlined rules - I'm sorry, but if you get high before a flight, I don't want to be the one sitting next to you with my 2-yr old for two hours.
I get the medical part and that is good. However, I totally agree with you that weed will end up all the wrong places and infect our children. The smell of it burning is horrible and they the pot smoking generation is infringing on the rights of people who wish to live free impairing smoke. We are in fact telling our children / Teens its OK to be high all of the time.

I am not talking about a Glass of wine with dinner, or the occasional drink from time to, to time. because Pro Pot people go there when their augment is week.

On many previous post I made note worthy that large companies have a zero tolerance. Would you like some stone operating an 100t dump truck in a mining operation? I think not.

Old 01-27-2014, 06:03 PM

8,061 posts, read 4,885,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
Great - so other parents should send their kids overseas so they can work and not get drug tested. Might work for you - perhaps not for others.

I don't think a lot of people here get what I think. DO WHATEVER YOU WANT TO DO. AS LONG AS YOU ACCEPT PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY FOR THE CONSEQUENCES OF WHAT YOU DO. Fair enough? Robyn
The problem with that is you assume you dealing with well rounded adults. Even this issue seems to be big it really not.

More and more people are exercising , eating right and trying to make a difference for themselves and their fam.

I hope this whole thing is just like a fad like 8 tracks, mini skirts and bell bottoms.

Old 01-27-2014, 08:21 PM

814 posts, read 2,043,645 times
I am of the opinion that sooner, rather than later the federal government will allow it to be legal for medical purposes in all 50 states. When this happens Big Pharmaceutical companies will put the smaller mom and pop pot growing operations out of business or buy them out. Big pharmaceutical will then invest billions into the study and production of marihuana. the feds and the states will get much needed tax revenue not only from no longer locking people up for weed but also for taxing the users that buy it. its sorta like what home depot and lowes and ace did to the mom and pop hardware stores. I believe the feds will legalize it nationwide and leave it up to the individual states to enact use for recreational purposes. Right now It is legal in NJ but you can't get it because they don't have the supply (only two or three state licensed grow operations exist in NJ) and its $480 an ounce (price set by NJ not the grower) plus not many NJ doctors will prescribe it. hell its cheaper to buy it on the street at that price. I know some people will say well I can just grow it at home but the average pothead will be too lazy to do this and just buy it at the Drugstore and pay less than they do now so they won't care to grow it themselves. its a win win for the jail systems and local and national tax revenues and the potheads in this nation. Alcohol is legal but I know of many people that don't drink because they don't like the affect it has on them both physically and mentally. I think it will be the same with weed within 5 or 10 years of legalization for recreational use. sure they may be more users at first but it will level out and some people will no longer partake when the big pharmaceuticals finish their long and short term studies in the near future. smoking was popular in the 50's and 60's you could smoke anywhere even in airplanes now you can't even smoke in most public buildings and they put the warning on right on the pack of cancer sticks

Old 01-28-2014, 05:21 AM

1,017 posts, read 1,883,933 times
Quote:
I kind of understand how it works. I handled one of the leading USSC cases dealing with drug approval and the FDA.

I pretty much don't care what people do to their own bodies. But other people do. Like potential employers - or people (like taxpayers) who are subsidizing their medical care. Do you think that inhaling marijuana smoke is less of a problem than inhaling similar stuff from other sources? Like cigarettes - or cigars - or a pipe (I know - no one - including Bill Clinton - ever inhaled <rolling eyes>). FWIW - I am very good at tax planning - so I pay almost zip in the way of income taxes. And whatever I pay in income taxes is overshadowed by my Medicare subsidies. So I don't really have a dog in this fight.

Where's the evidence that marijuana isn't addictive? There really isn't a marijuana industry to cover things up now - but there will be.

Just because you had an alcoholic parent doesn't prove (or disprove) your point. Just wait until you or other young people can't get or keep jobs because you're stoners. Or your kids are stoners and you can't even get them out of bed in the morning to go to school. Or your daughter winds up knocked up/with HIV because she kind of lost control one night with a relative stranger. Been there - done that - myself (in terms of not being able to get out of bed to go to classes). OTOH - I have led a relatively charmed/lucky existence. And I know it.

Also - none of this can hurt me now in any way shape or form (except perhaps in an auto accident - and I'm not losing any sleep about that). Which is a lot more than I can say of people 30 years younger than I am.

People your age have to ask yourselves what's important to you. If one of the most important things in your lives is getting stoned - so be it. I'll be long dead by the time the ramifications of that become widespread. Robyn
So, if you worked with the FDA on a case, then you know they do not do any testing themselves. The testing is left up to the drug companies and they review the testing. So, your desire to have the federal government to test for medical uses of marijuana isn't going to happen. They may fund it but, first, they must allow people to test it so we know whether there is, in fact, any medical uses (or not). Like with so many other things in this country, the government keeps the population scared and uninformed to keep us in check. This is especially true in the case of marijuana.

Sorry but you're being naive. Where is the evidence marijuana IS addictive (other than in a few people)? Besides, even if it IS addictive (like you seem to claim) so is Alcohol (LOTS of evidence), nicotine in cigarettes (LOTS of evidence) and other things which are bad for us--all of which are legal today. So, what's your point?

So you're (essentially) saying (like someone else did) that anyone who smokes marijuana is a loser? You really need to do some research before making the assumptions you do. I know you're smarter than this. Marijuana doesn't make someone a loser, nor does it make girls get knocked up with HIV.

People my age? Do you even know how old I am?

You keep saying things that make marijuana an evil drug then, in the next breath, you say you don't have a dog in the fight and all that. Makes no sense.

Old 01-28-2014, 06:54 AM

410 posts, read 602,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GadgetRick View Post
So, if you worked with the FDA on a case, then you know they do not do any testing themselves. The testing is left up to the drug companies and they review the testing. So, your desire to have the federal government to test for medical uses of marijuana isn't going to happen. They may fund it but, first, they must allow people to test it so we know whether there is, in fact, any medical uses (or not). Like with so many other things in this country, the government keeps the population scared and uninformed to keep us in check. This is especially true in the case of marijuana.

Sorry but you're being naive. Where is the evidence marijuana IS addictive (other than in a few people)? Besides, even if it IS addictive (like you seem to claim) so is Alcohol (LOTS of evidence), nicotine in cigarettes (LOTS of evidence) and other things which are bad for us--all of which are legal today. So, what's your point?

So you're (essentially) saying (like someone else did) that anyone who smokes marijuana is a loser? You really need to do some research before making the assumptions you do. I know you're smarter than this. Marijuana doesn't make someone a loser, nor does it make girls get knocked up with HIV.

You keep saying things that make marijuana an evil drug then, in the next breath, you say you don't have a dog in the fight and all that. Makes no sense.
I don't know if she is saying that...but I am, as I stated earlier in thread. If you're so proud of yourself for toking, post your name and picture...you're on the clock.

Old 01-28-2014, 11:36 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,023,398 times
Quote:
In my job I work among people in *all* walks of life. Smoking pot is not just for elitists, nor is it just some blue collar stoner lifestyle. It is certainly not just for the younger generation.

Florida is sitting up and taking notice of the fact that marijuana use, along with whether or not to legalize marijuana is a decision that is evolving day by day. Not everyone has a governor with a slew of drug testing centers. I think Rick Scott can probably kiss his job goodbye.
Quote:
As for big pharma - it's still your best chance if you have a serious disease - like cancer - and need an important drug to extend your life/improve the quality of whatever life you have left. My brother the doctor works for a big pharma company. If you have kidney failure (which many people have these days as a result of diabetes or similar) - you need the drugs his company makes - not marijuana (unless you just want to fade into the sunset).
You can get kidney damage from drinking alcohol and taking Tylenol.
You can hurt your kidneys with high dose statins, which a physician's assistant tried to routinely prescribe for me.
You can hurt your kidneys from drinking too much water.
That's where the personal responsibility comes in. We have to take charge of our own health.
Quote:
Like I've said - I really don't care what other people do - or what the consequences are in terms of their life decisions.

Of course.
Just my opinion, but part of my own personal responsibility is to do what I consider to be the right thing. That's why I signed the petition to get medical marijuana on the ballot. Like many younger people, I did some stupid stuff in my life and have had to accept the consequences, most (but not all!) of the time gracefully.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigh110 View Post
I am of the opinion that sooner, rather than later the federal government will allow it to be legal for medical purposes in all 50 states. When this happens Big Pharmaceutical companies will put the smaller mom and pop pot growing operations out of business or buy them out. Big pharmaceutical will then invest billions into the study and production of marihuana. the feds and the states will get much needed tax revenue not only from no longer locking people up for weed but also for taxing the users that buy it. its sorta like what home depot and lowes and ace did to the mom and pop hardware stores. I believe the feds will legalize it nationwide and leave it up to the individual states to enact use for recreational purposes. Right now It is legal in NJ but you can't get it because they don't have the supply (only two or three state licensed grow operations exist in NJ) and its $480 an ounce (price set by NJ not the grower) plus not many NJ doctors will prescribe it. hell its cheaper to buy it on the street at that price. I know some people will say well I can just grow it at home but the average pothead will be too lazy to do this and just buy it at the Drugstore and pay less than they do now so they won't care to grow it themselves. its a win win for the jail systems and local and national tax revenues and the potheads in this nation. Alcohol is legal but I know of many people that don't drink because they don't like the affect it has on them both physically and mentally. I think it will be the same with weed within 5 or 10 years of legalization for recreational use. sure they may be more users at first but it will level out and some people will no longer partake when the big pharmaceuticals finish their long and short term studies in the near future. smoking was popular in the 50's and 60's you could smoke anywhere even in airplanes now you can't even smoke in most public buildings and they put the warning on right on the pack of cancer sticks
Yes I have thought about this. It will be interesting to see how it all shakes out.

I've also watched the big agri-industries try to buy out mom and pop organic farms. At first, some of them rolled over, but not not all, and now many new ones are popping up.

Old 01-28-2014, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GadgetRick View Post

The FDA doesn't do testing - but the federal government is involved in various clinical trials:

Learn About Clinical Studies - ClinicalTrials.gov

Note that I didn't work for the FDA - I was a lawyer in private practice who represented a pharma company in the USSC (briefs and argument). I've never been a low level flunky type.

I don't think I'm naive at all. I'm old and retired. And part of the 1%. Which is why I really don't care.

If you and others in the 99% think that any of this will make your lives or the lives of your children better - be my guest. But - so far - no one has given me one reason why legalizing pot will make anyone's life better (except perhaps in some medical situations where the medical verdict isn't in yet). FWIW - however old you are - you are almost certainly younger than I am - and probably not retired either.

And I don't think you read me right at all. I don't think all people who use drugs are losers. Just that people who think it's an important issue don't have any concept of what's important. Also - I never used the word "evil" or anything like it. Although I do believe that using drugs will in general make people less employable. Which would seem to be an important consideration today for the majority of people who have to work for a living.

To me - in all honesty - this is a "bread and circuses" thing. Keep the middle class masses amused with their phones - stoned on their drugs - etc. - so they don't think about where they are (or where they might be going). Generations younger than mine are screwed if they don't think bigger than this. Robyn

Old 01-28-2014, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
...Just my opinion, but part of my own personal responsibility is to do what I consider to be the right thing. That's why I signed the petition to get medical marijuana on the ballot...
What in terms of your personal life exeriences leads you to believe it's the "right thing"? Robyn

Old 01-28-2014, 04:56 PM

1,008 posts, read 2,635,257 times
My 10 cents worth is if I was ill and a possible cure or pain relief was "pot" I would take it so why should it not be legally available by prescription only
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville